JDog 24-Aug-16
grizzly 24-Aug-16
Brotsky 25-Aug-16
JDog 25-Aug-16
JDog 16-Sep-16
grizzly 16-Sep-16
Fishman 26-Sep-16
24-Aug-16
So, I drew a archery tag for unit 5 in the black hills! Does anyone have any suggestions for this area to give me a helping hand? Where the elk hang early season or maybe a contact I could visit with for help? Thank you...

24-Aug-16
Don't know if this will help you or not but its free advice. I had applied for that unit as well for the better drawing odds. Looking at the interactive maps, there does not appear to be much for residents in that area and they all seemed to be along one main road system. I would suggest visiting with those people and see what info you could gather about sightings etc. I think they have had a fire not too long ago in the Black Elk wilderness area and that would be a good place to check out. Call the big game biologist and hear what they have to say? From what I gather about the forest, it is so thick the sunlight does not get to the ground to grow any forage. Look for open areas. Good luck, maybe you will find a monster.

25-Aug-16
JDog, you are in for a hard hunt. Doesn't mean you won't have some success but unit 5 is tough. The better draw odds are there for a reason. Very tough road access, lots of wilderness area, etc. Google earth will be your friend on this hunt. Look for areas with food and water in close proximity to each other. Any meadows with good browse, good cover, and sources of water nearby will be likely starting spots. Plan to burn lots of boot leather finding elk. Good luck!

25-Aug-16
Thanks for the info guys- I was out there last weekend and got to scope it out for a bit- and I knew it was going to b tough when I applied. I like the fact I'm not going to have to fight a crowd and I'm getting just enough age that I wanted to get an archery hunt in before I couldn't anymore, lol. I'm not afraid to put the miles on and I'm saying plenty of prayers :). Thanks again!

16-Sep-16
Update:difficult hunt, lol! So far I have 9 full days of hunting and 0 elk sightings ( or fresh sign, or a bugle, or???). My last trip was 5.5 days and logged ( according to cell phone) 52 miles total with the biggest day being over 16 miles/42,000 steps/150 flights of 'stairs'. I was expecting low numbers, not no numbers! Anyways- back for one more trip next week and hope some movements will happen between now and then. Good luck to the rest of you!!

16-Sep-16
Sounds like you are giving it a good try. Keep plugging away, it will probably be awhile before you see another SD archery tag. Good luck.

26-Sep-16
Hello, PM, Message or call me. 490-8518

• Sitka Gear