Contributors to this thread:
gcgaines 29-Aug-16
gcgaines 29-Aug-16
gcgaines 29-Aug-16
JayZ 30-Aug-16
29-Aug-16

gcgaines's embedded Photo
I discovered a wallow. Well, I discovered a marshy, 2- mile long drainage which climbs to 8,000' +, and a mud puddle with a good deal of elk sign around it.

I jumped 3+ elk the day I found the wallow, so I left my camera there for 2 weeks. The bull in the attached pictures appears to have visited at least twice during that time. In one picture, he, a second bull, and a cow all appear at once. Seems like most of the activity around the camera was between 1500 and 1800 hrs on any given day. A nice cinnamon black bear came by too.

I'm alone in this ordeal, and don't really know anyone personally who has any valuable perspective. I'd be greatly appreciative of any insight related to the following questions:

1) The wallow has lots of fresh tracks around it, and had lots of fresh scat the first time I was there. However, I cannot tell if a bull is actually wallowing in it. Some of the mud seems disturbed, but some of the water is clearer than I would expect it to be. Is it just that it is too early for real wallowing? Or is it likely that this bull's actual wallow is elsewhere in the drainage? And does it matter, now that I know there are elk in the area? Won't he probably visit with increasing frequency now?

2) I hung a stand 20'+ in a spruce next to the wallow. I'm worried it's too close/steep. I've shot my Mathews Heli-m for four years and am very comfortable with it, but have not shot from an elevated position. If an elk is standing on the far side of the wallow, it is less than 15 yards from me (horizontal distance) and over 45 degrees in angle. Does anyone have suggestions for how/where to practice in Missoula? I have limited time, and don't know where I can go. I'm pretty close to climbing up on my garage and shooting into my cube in the backyard, but am worried the neighbors are going to call the cops. My biggest concern at this point is that when it's go-time, and he's broadside or quartering away, I'm not going to be able to get adequate arrow placement.

3) I made my own static line/Prusik safety system which hangs all the way to the ground. The only climbing line I could find for sale by the foot in town was fairly bright red. Does it matter? Will he care it's readily visible during the times I'm not there? I've since ordered black rope. I also didn't wash it, which I'm feeling dumb for. I'm going to wash the new one before I pack it in. In the meantime, should the smell of the current rope be a major concern? Would he abandon the area over something like that?

4) I can go into details about the relationship of the wallow to the surrounding topography and my thoughts about the wind implications if anyone is interested. I really don't know what I'm doing, but want to maximize the potential to get a crack at this bull and to capitalize on it. I don't know if I'm controlling my scent effectively enough, and I don't have much good camo clothing.

My plan is to get up there between 0800-1000 hrs two days a week, hike in on contour above the fairly steep drainage to avoid disturbing them (I think they might be in the bottom all day/night because there's water, cover and food--if they're not, I simply don't know what their daily habits/movements are at all), and sit the stand until there's just enough light to hike back out. It's a 3 hour drive, however, so hopefully I can seal the deal before too long.

Any guidance/suggestions/criticisms would genuinely be appreciated.

29-Aug-16

Another pic:

29-Aug-16

One more, with two bulls:

30-Aug-16
Just a heads up but if you're in an area with an antelope season you're breaking the law by having those trail cams up after August 15th.

That being said I'd hunt that. Even if they aren't wallowing they are using it for water.

I wouldn't hesitate to lower your treestand a touch. 15' should be plenty high. I also wouldn't worry much about how your arrow will hit with that steep of angle. Sounds like you've figured out the horizontal distance anyway. The angle shouldn't make or break your shot on an elk at that distance. Big kill zone.

The red rope won't bother the elk but it will make your stand more visible to humans.

Control your scent and hunt the wind. Elk won't second guess their nose. They smell human they are gone.

As far as camo....I'm not a huge believer in camo. I wear Carhart pants in treestands all the time with a camo top. They will see movement above all else.

• Sitka Gear