EmbryO-klahoma 17-Oct-16
soonerowl 17-Oct-16
swampokie 18-Oct-16
longhunter 19-Oct-16
OkieJ 19-Oct-16
Bandman72 23-Oct-16
Bandman72 23-Oct-16
08-Oct-16
I got drawn for the 1st weekend in November. Never been before. So I was wondering how this all works? Do they take you out or are you allowed to drive? Can you go back to camp for lunch or do you stay out all day. Also anybody got any good tips for boggy?

08-Oct-16
Have been several times but not since 08. On Thursday, you'll get a few hours to scout and hang a stand. You go out in a group of vehicles based on hunt locations. Vehicles will stop at their spot as it comes up on the route. They usually ask for driver volunteers that can fit 5 or 6 easily. It's quite a production. Lot of rules but it's an incredible place. Don't wear yourself out hiking way in. Not necessary.

You're out there all day. They used to make a midday smoke run for folks that wanted to go in.

I'm sure some stuff is different but this is how it was back when I applied for it.

09-Oct-16
I second the "don't hike in" There are roads everywhere and the big bucks will be likely to be seen anywhere during your hunt dates. Should be rutting action by then mainly weather dependent.

09-Oct-16
I was there in 2010 & 2011 and 1981. They used to take you out and drop you off somewhere and you had to walk to a phone and call if you got one or just wanted to come in for the day, everyone packed a lunch. Now you can drive if you take 3 or 4 other hunters with you. Not sure if you can come in for lunch, most don't want to waste the time and eat in the woods or at the truck anyway, especially in November. You put a pin on a map of the area where you want to hunt and the other hunters who picked the same area ride with you or you ride with whoever the driver is for that spot. I don't know much about boggy since they changed the map this year.

09-Oct-16
I should add it Is an awesome place to hunt, has some world class deer, is ran well, and it is an overall great experience. Just go into it with the mindset to have a good time, whether you get a deer or not, you only have 2 1/2 days to hunt it so make the best of it. Remember it IS an army base. I absolutely love the place, it is deer heaven, so if you love deer hunting you'll love this hunt. I could go on but this is just me and my opinion, good luck and enjoy.

16-Oct-16
Will be going to Deer Creek Oct 21-23rd. have heard a lot about the bowling alley area; it looks good on all the maps I've seen, but is it somewhere that 20+ people are going to be trying to place their pins? Is it a waist of time to even be considering heading that direction. Any other tidbits of info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

16-Oct-16
I think people get too worried about being somewhere someone told them was good. I think almost every square inch of the place is excellent.

Not familiar with that area. One time we tried to get a certain spot and six or seven other tacks were already there. We just stuck the tack in a spot that didn't have a lot of guys. Saw a lot of deer and some really nice ones.

Just hope for cool weather.

16-Oct-16
Thanks Quailhunter, I agree with you that there really isn't a bad location in there. Just overly excited I guess... I should really just go down there and enjoy the hunt and not get caught up what everyone else is saying. And find my own prime location.

And i'll take highs in the low to mid 70s, sure is better than what we had this weekend.

16-Oct-16
Yea son has a youth hunt next weekend and the weather looks better. One of my best hunts down there was in late October. Seems like every time we had a spot in mind, so did several other groups. I had a climber last time I went and moved and killed a deer on the last morning.

17-Oct-16
I agree with quailhunter.... there are spots that routinely get a lot of pins. There's a dozen other spots that are as good or better. Weather does look much better this weekend. Looks like North... South... South, as far as winds are concerned per day this weekend. Good luck to all going!

17-Oct-16
Black widow, the bowling alley area is popular. I thought about trying to go there a couple of years back and there were a bunch of pins already in that area. I also agree that there are lots of good places. We ended up away from everyone else in deer creek and saw plenty of deer. Plenty of nice bucks. Heck, one of the guys riding out with us got a 17 point. Enjoy, I might see you this weekend. Going to Hominy this go round though.

18-Oct-16
Hunt one of the holes in the fence around 20 millimeter plant if you have deer creek

19-Oct-16
Been hunting in MCAAP many times and have always enjoyed the experience. My advice is to find some oaks that are dropping acorns and set your stand. You are going to see some deer!

Another good call is to find a drainage that is wooded. Even better if there are some oaks along it that are dropping acorns. Those bucks will move along the drainages while seeking hot does.

Good Luck!

19-Oct-16
I have been there several times myself and I can tell you that you can wear yourself out worrying about things like location. Like said above there are deer in all areas. Don't worry about going in deep, other hunters and the traffic. You will see a lot of bucks crossing the roads and feeding in the ditches.

Just relax and hunt the trails, acorns and the road crossings. These deer are not afraid of a parked vehicle because the see them a lot. I have seen more big bucks mid day than morning or evenings. Enjoy the hunt and good luck.

23-Oct-16
We had awesome weather this week...I didn't harvest a deer, but had several awesome encounters!

23-Oct-16

• Sitka Gear