bukhuntr 26-Oct-16
lineman21 29-Oct-16
kluzakd 31-Oct-16
lineman21 31-Oct-16
Tejas 20-Oct-19
shb 20-Oct-19
Tejas 20-Oct-19
20-Oct-16
Myself and three buddies are venturing 19 hours from GA to Alma for a week of bowhunting. We will arrive on Nov 5 and depart on Saturday Nov 12.

We have never been to the area before and haven't been able to really find much in the way of information as to what to expect. We are bringing Lock Ons and Ground Blinds. We are all four very experienced bowhunters and are looking forward to an adventure.

Can anyone offer up any tidbits of advice? We have poured over the aerial and topos, but I know what might look promising from above is much different on the ground. I assume everything will key on food and where the does are that week. What kind of goal for a quality buck should we have? Going in blind, we are hoping for 120" plus 3 year olds or better. Is that realistic?

25-Oct-16
I see that no one has responded so will try to provide a little info. You are picking a great time to come hunt. Chasing should be good, temperature dependent. Look at area straight South of the lake, called Prairie Dog, next to the Kansas line about 1-2 miles. All public. When I draw a Kansas tag I see bucks roaming back and forth in that area. Check out area South of Orleans. Little town west of the lake. Have a good hunt. Nebraska deer hunting can be a great nonresident value.

26-Oct-16
Thank you Steve for the tips! We are getting excited.

29-Oct-16
I'll agree with what Steve said. I've never hunted there but work every day around there. I know of a few access points that may get you away from other hunters and in some good spots. PM me if interested.

31-Oct-16
Cole, This is Ken Kluza, I met you a few years ago at Medicine Lake SWA. I am retired Air Force and live in CO. Do you still live in Cambridge? Can you give me a few access points that may get you away from other hunters and in some good spots at Harlan Reservoir near Orleans/Alma also? I would appreciate it. Thanks. Ken

31-Oct-16
Sure can Ken. Send me a message and I'll get you set up.

20-Oct-19
I’m gonna bring this 3 year old thread back to the top. Can anyone share any info on this area.? As far as deer numbers and bow hunting in general on the public lands around Harlan Lake?

20-Oct-19
Less deer and more hunters than ever.

if you get lucky enough to see a legal deer, try your best to get it in the cooler.

20-Oct-19
Lol....that bad huh? Thanks for the reply!

• Sitka Gear