sitO 31-Jan-17
TXRANGER 31-Jan-17
crestedbutte 31-Jan-17
TXRANGER 01-Feb-17
sitO 01-Feb-17
crestedbutte 01-Feb-17
12-Nov-16

crestedbutte's Link
Bought a GA cell phone bow mount this year. This guy came in scent checking some mock scrapes I had made at the end of Oct. that are located slightly behind me and over my right shoulder. He never made it to them to freshen them up. Turn up your volume and you can hear the quietness of the Flint Hills that particular evening and me stopping him for the shot. Only wish the Lumenock would have lit up to trace the shot.

Equipment: Mathews Z-7; Swhacker Mech'l. Broadheads, FMJ Full Metal Jacket N-Fused Carbon arrows.

Shot Distance & Recovery: Shot 20 yds. ; Recovery 45 yds.

12-Nov-16

" target="_blank" class="button">crestedbutte's Link

12-Nov-16
How about a pic.? Shawn

12-Nov-16

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
This is him in Sept. per trail cam pic.

12-Nov-16

How I found him

12-Nov-16

Field photo

12-Nov-16
Great buck buddy, congrats!

12-Nov-16

You might of noticed he was walking with a slight limp. This was the reason....his right front foot was swollen and deformed.

12-Nov-16
Congrats! Cool video I have a GA cell phone bow mount on my bow and like it.

12-Nov-16
Here ya go Jason, hope you don't mind...just makes it easier to watch. Cool buck, really like that Sept trail cam pic! Great shot you put on him too....down goes...

13-Nov-16
Thanks. Nice buck, good shot.

What county?

13-Nov-16
Kyle...don't mind at all. Thanks a bunch. I attempted sharing/embedding the video into the original post but it inserted the video as a link instead. I have another video I would like to share so will PM you on the correct way to attach it to a post.

Michael....Cowley County.

30-Jan-17

How many of you have been hunting a particular buck for a few years? I killed the buck in my above hunting video on 11/7/2016. However, I have been hunting Big Bastard since 2014 (buck in this video). In fact some of you have seen trail cam photos of him on previous years trail cam posts. In 2014, when I first saw him I believe he was atleast a 3yr. old and only saw him via trail cam photos only. That year, he came by my mock scrape Nov. 6th, 7th & 8th and never saw him in the flesh and didn't get anymore photos of him that year. Saw him again in 2015 via trail cam photos...you guessed it came by and visited the same mock scrape Nov. 6th, 7th & 8th and again never saw him in the flesh and didn't get anymore photos of him that year. So I was really hoping to see him in the flesh for the first time ever during the 2016 season?

I kill that buck in the hunting video above on 11/7/2016. The next morning 11/8/2016, I sat the stand where Big B had come through over the years.....just to do recon. for my out-of-state friend that was hunting with me. So I am sitting in the tree 11/8/2016....and Big Bastard whom I have been hunting now for 3 yrs. just comes on down the trail right to my tree, crossed my tracks, sniffs the stump at the base of the tree that I step on to start my climb and sniffs/licks the climbing sticks strapped to the tree. Then he just stands there for eternity with no idea that I am right above him filming with my I-phone. I actually thought I might drop the phone on his head. Love it when a buck gets bigger as it comes closer instead of smaller.

Per my 2014 & 2015 trail cam pic's. he was a 12 ptr. and 13 ptr. This year 2016, he had 8 pts. on his right side and 5 pts. on his left side but the left side was broken off at the half-way part of the main beam. Figure, if it was all there he was probably a 15-16 ptr. this past year. Hope to see him again in 2017 or the buck that broke his left main beam off. He was lucky this year...hope he is not so lucky next year? Best to maximize screen size when viewing the video. You can see him really working those ears as he intently stares off in the distance.

Any of you been hunting a particular buck for a few years and when you finally get a chance at him for some reason or another you gotta let'em walk like I did?

30-Jan-17
Very nice!Thanks.

30-Jan-17
Excellent footage bud! Were you dragging a scent or have some sprayed on your boots? I had a buck with two left main beams I hunted pretty hard but just one season. I picked up some pics of him in August that year but never again and never saw him on the hoof.

Hope you see him next year and that he's avoided the fighting til then!

30-Jan-17
Nice buck. Good thing you didn't hit a rib with that broadhead. I lost a nice one last year due to that head and ended up shooting him again during rifle season.

30-Jan-17
Very cool! That video of "Big B" will be neat to add in with your footage of him next year. Good luck! You are onto him and he's a great buck! Love the double row with the inside tines. Not sure why this is coming up as Hoytman84, maybe I was banned from the site. I've tried to get them to fix several times. Oh well. (Doubledrop)

30-Jan-17
Looks like he probably did hit rib.Congrats

30-Jan-17

I mean seriously.....how do they know when you don't have a tag???

Kyle....I used this stuff pretty religiously this year at all scrapes, licking ropes and on my boots every time I walked to and from the stand.

31-Jan-17
Interesting, he sure was interested in something near and on that stand. Thanks Jason, and congrats on a great buck, and getting it all on film!

31-Jan-17
Failure Gel ?

31-Jan-17
TX.....I call it Success Gel due to the fact that I hadn't ever seen Big B in the flesh in 3 yrs of hunting him (just pic's.), then got this lengthy fantastic up-close and personal experience with him and then let'em walk to boot. Had I not had the gel on my boots I would have had maybe a 10 sec encounter with him as he approached and continued on down the trail.

However, instead I got almost a 90 second encounter with him right beneath me. I take a lot of satisfaction in that not to mention out-witting/out-sensing that old buck.

01-Feb-17
I was kidding and hoping to get a Bee in Kyle's Bonnit !

01-Feb-17
I quit wearing "Bonnit's" last Fall...whatever the hell that is? Ain't they got that fancy spell checker thingamajig downs thar yet? ;?)

01-Feb-17
TX...I figured as much. Did you and your gang not hunt KS this year? Don't recall seeing your groups take this year?

• Sitka Gear