Mooses_Meadows 26-Dec-16
rodb 26-Dec-16
Amoebus 27-Dec-16
Mooses_Meadows 27-Dec-16
rodb 28-Dec-16
Tonybear61 28-Dec-16
Mooses_Meadows 28-Dec-16
29-Nov-16
So now that they have found CWD in the state is any one going to ask the question "How could this happen?" We haven't had CWD in the state for several years now. I hope no one is suggesting that they wandered in from Iowa or Wisconsin. And in order to get it it means that they got it from another source.

So how did they get there? I have my idea but I wanted to see what some of you thought.

01-Dec-16
They conveniently found two deer positive right before the deer plan was going to be written (conspiracy theorists, have at it!). I'm sure it will now play a big role in discussions.

01-Dec-16

Dwayne's Link
Today's news release said no more deer tested positive. So we have two that tested positive out of 2,866 deer. What steps will be taken? Guess we have to wait to find out.

Today's news release at link.

02-Dec-16
Massive herd reduction will probably be on the agenda in the area in the future especially so if more are found positive ,public land will be the first go to get the "honors" of the reduced herd unfortunately,hope it doesn't happen.

02-Dec-16
Here's a hint:

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) was also confirmed on a captive cervid farm in Olmsted County in 2009, prompting DNR to conduct surveillance in that area for a 3-year period to ensure the disease has not spilled over into wild deer. This is the fourth time a captive cervid farm has been found with CWD in Minnesota and DNR has responded with increase surveillance in wild deer.

06-Dec-16
DNR has a meeting scheduled; Information about chronic wasting disease and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ management response to its discovery in two deer near Lanesboro will be the focus of a public meeting from 7-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 15, at the Fillmore Central School Auditorium, 702 Chatfield St., in Preston.

DNR staff will explain the disease and why a quick and aggressive response is the most effective way to limit its spread. They also will discuss response measures including establishment of a disease management zone, a special winter deer hunt, landowner shooting permits and the necessity to conduct an aerial deer population survey.

Representatives from other state agencies and deer hunting groups also will be available to answer questions.

Chronic wasting disease is a fatal brain disease to deer, elk and moose but is not known to affect human health. Prior to this discovery, the disease has only been found in Minnesota in one wild deer harvested near Pine Island in 2010.

For more information, including maps of chronic wasting disease surveillance areas, common questions and answers and hunter information, visit the DNR’s CWD homepage

06-Dec-16
We need to build a wall next to IA and WI. I think that Trump has a campaign promise for this. Somehow it will have to be high enough to keep out the deer/elk farms to be effective.

08-Dec-16
I see somebody sent a letter to the Outdoors news stating that those two deer may have been dumped. Myself, there is only one reason for those two deer showing up with CWD and that is they got dumped by some game farm. I'm not saying it was a farm in Minnesota but dumping is the only reasonable explanation. Minnesota requires an ear tag for identification but if that tag is removed can that deer still be identified? Wisconsin deer farms only require deer identification if they are enrolled in the CWD program. Out of the 370 deer farm only 2/3's are enrolled in the program. At this point in time I have no idea what Iowa's deer farm policies are. So let's say you have a 100 deer on your farm and two deer become sick. If they are found to have CWD you could lose the whole herd. What are you going to do? Pack'm up in a trailer and make a midnight run a few hundred miles away and let them loose, who's to know.

All deer farm animals should be marked in such away that they can be identified, branded if you will.

I see in my latest Outdoors news both the Minnesota presidents of the elk and deer farm associations have condemned the letter to the editor, no surprise there!

26-Dec-16
A third positive CWD case has been found in MN.

26-Dec-16
Rodb,

I don't think your theory Is a viable one luckily...I don't see a deer farmer driving hundreds of miles to dump a couple deer! They would have more to lose if they got stoped with 2 untagged deer in a vehicle. Also, if a farm has deer die they are required to call it in for testing. Those ear tags also punch holes through the ears that do not close up. The dnr knows exactly how many deer are at the farms at all times and does random checks....

26-Dec-16
"Those ear tags also punch holes through the ears that do not close up" Not in Wisconsin, there are over 100 farms that are not registered CWD farms which means their deer are not marked in any way. Wisconsin is NOT that far away and who's going to stop them? Does anybody know if the DNR stopped any Minnesota deer hunters coming back from Wisconsin to see if the deer they are bring back met the new standards?

When you come up with a better explanation let me know.

27-Dec-16
I am confused - the article says:

"Nearly one-third of all deer harvested during southeastern Minnesota’s first firearms deer season and the first three days of the second season were tested for CWD. Only two of the 2,866 deer tested returned positive results. Both were harvested about 1 mile apart west of Lanesboro in deer permit area 348."

The people above seem to say that these 2 deer were dumped?

I also thought that the MN elk/deer farms were controlled by the Dept of Agriculture. Does the DNR still have to do the monitoring of them?

27-Dec-16
Robs, The explanation is that the deer in Minnesota have CWD! If you think someone is going to pack up 2 live deer and drive them across the border to let free you are crazy! I am very familiar with deer breeders. Deer get sick more often than you think, they typically shoot them full of antibiotics. Not get rid of them. Most deer that have CWD you would never know it. Accept that there is CWD in MN. It sucks!

28-Dec-16
Mooses, from your response the first time I became aware that you were familiar with deer farms in Minnesota if not a deer farmer yourself.

"Since 2002, over 40,000 hunter-harvested and 1,000 opportunistic or targeted wild deer have been tested for CWD in Minnesota, with one positive case identified." Except of course this year.

No! I don't have to except that CWD appeared in the state for the first time in wild deer since since 2002. And that deer was found near a elk farm that had CWD.

You are very well aware that all but one case of CWD in the state, mentioned above, came from farms. So don't try to convince me I have to accept CWD so that you guys can keep your game farms.

28-Dec-16
Anyone going to the special hunt zone 603??

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/research/health/disease/cwd/cwd_se_special_hunt.pdf

28-Dec-16
Rod, sorry man. Not trying to be a jerk, but your theory is preposterous. Nobody is dropping live deer off away from their farm... it would be easier to kill them and bury. And, like I said before, you can't tell by looking at a live deer that they have CWD. MN has it, and the DNR is going to be tough on heard..

• Sitka Gear