40 yard 25-Feb-18
12yards 26-Feb-18
Scooter Trash 26-Feb-18
Tonybear61 07-Apr-18
Marj 17-Apr-18
Tonybear61 21-Apr-18
12yards 23-Apr-18
10-Dec-16
Who all is interested in getting full inclusion of crossbows during the regular archery season here in MN? I have shoulder and elbow issues which limit my ability to pull a bow back yet it isn't considered bad enough to get a disabled permit for a crossbow so I'm stuck not being able to hunt until gun season opens. Anyone else in the same boat or would just like to be able to use a crossbow in MN?

12-Dec-16
If you can't draw a 30 pound bow, you should be able to get a crossbow permit. I'm surprised you can't get a permit. I thought they gave them out like candy at Halloween.

12-Dec-16
I've never heard of someone being turned down by ANY doctor in Mn. I know a guy who got a permit for having bad ankles of all things. Get a different doctor or shoot a bow.

12-Dec-16
No and no.

12-Dec-16
No and no.

12-Dec-16
To answer your question, no, I don't support full inclusion of xbows in archery season. A person would have to be severely disabled to not be able to draw 30 pounds.

12-Dec-16
No, I call BS!!

12-Dec-16
Because of my age I can legally go cross gun & still prefer to "bow" hunt

12-Dec-16
I am with the 'no and no' crowd. I have two bad shoulders, have a hard time putting a coat on but can still shoot my compound bow turned down low. I am sure there are others who absolutely cannot pull a 30 lb bow but as others have said it is very easy to get a crossbow permit in that instance.

13-Dec-16
no

13-Dec-16
No and No, too many reasons. Also if you can't shoot 30Lbs how do you expect to get into the woods pack out an animal??

I have two bad shoulders, need neck adjustments, a disconnected bicep, plus a 25 yr survivor of Lymes with pins in the feet and fake joints in the hips, and wrists, fingers will need them soon, don't see any reason to shoot a crossbow. I already have asked the doc I can get the permit if I want. There are a lot of hand held , hand released bows that will work or can be modified to work. 30# will do the job, don't doubt that, I know folks who have done it. I was shooting one for a while but did not get an animal close for a shot for other reasons. Have been able to get poundage back up over time.

That said is the issue 1) you can't get the permit and really need one or 2) just think its OK for able bodied to use any weapon they want during archery season?? I doubt you would get much support for #2 in this forum.

14-Dec-16
Yeah, I have the same issue and a neuro-disease but still hunt with a recurve (since 1962) and just bought this last Jan. an Elite compound (first one ever) for this very reason but still haven't used it for hunting, there is very little pull effort or break with this bow and personally there is no excuse for a x-bow in bowhunting except if you are missing a arm. Take a look what is happening in Wi. and it is not good on public land, it has brought in gun hunters mentality to bowhunting and it is apple and oranges. Mn. is one of the few states that is trying to keep bowhunting as intended and absolutely doesn't need anymore progressive changes. The Elite is like a rifle, 50# and it tacks in at 40 yrs easily with no strain or shock on my shoulder or elbow (3 major shoulder surgeries and the elbow ulna nerve was rewrap that needs replace), I'll walk away before I would degrade the bow hunt for self-gratification and look at ones that use them also. Keep the good fight up by disallowing full inclusion of this cancer.

21-Dec-16
Since your from Wisconsin you can use your crossbow without a permit. Its the same people behind the WI movement who are now pushing it here in MN. You aren't one of them?

21-Dec-16

MNRazorhead's Link
Interesting thread from WI forum where BuffaloBucks is all out for crossbows. I especially liked this statement from him, "I do not consider a compound bow a primitive weapon with the amazing technology that has been developed in them. Now a simple recurve bow with no sights or mechanical broad heads or anything of the such, would truly be a primitive weapon. Hats off to those individuals that have mastered the use of them and harvested game with them as well."

Divide and conquer comes to mind when I read that statement. Is that a primary strategy of the crossbow industry to gain footholds in state archery seasons?

BuffaloBucks, are you connected/affiliated in any way to the crossbow industry? Also, why are you interested in the MN archery season when you are from WI and can hunt to your heart's content there? What specifically is causing you not to be able to draw a bow but doesn't allow you to get a doctor's permit, which would seem to be a no-brainer since "you can't pull a bow"???

26-Dec-16
"I do not consider a compound bow a primitive weapon with the amazing technology that has been developed in them.." Typical crossbow lobbyist point. What they are missing is its still drawing, holding and releasing the string under one's own strength and follow-through to product accurate results. This a developed skill, core of the tradition and mechanics, etc. something crossbow users don't need to develop or use. Airbow is nothing of the sort and cancer in the very late stages, archery has no need for it. I don't care who sponsors it to spread its use, its not archery period.

31-Dec-16
I agree 100% on the cancer statement. People now days are always looking for quick and easy way. Why spend hours perfecting your skills when you can pick up a crossbow at the store and go hunting the same day. They are ruining the sport. Just my opinion.

31-Dec-16
I am not a crossbow lobbyist just a fellow hunter who has a crappy shoulder. It sucks but it is what it is. I live in Minnesota now and have family hunting land a short drive away from me in MN. I looked over the MN crossbow disability permit form and I don't have some of the named conditions of eligibility so I didn't think I would qualify. However I have been encouraged by a few people to try for one so I am working on that process. Might as well, it can't hurt to try I figure. For me, the harvest part is just a small part of the hunting experience whatever weapon one chooses. From scouting to running trail cameras to planting food plots to TSI to just talking with the neighboring hunters, I spend countless hours prepping for the hunting season, which is just as much fun as actually harvesting a deer for me. It is so much more enjoyable to hunt the early season before gun season when the deer are not pushed and moving naturally so hopefully things will work out for that by next fall.

01-Jan-17
BuffaloBucks, if you can still shoot a rifle you can shoot an Elite, there is no stress on the shoulder or better yet get a 40# recurve and have fun, there is no excuse except a bad excuse unless you absolutely lost the use of your arm, but please do not disparage the bow hunters by looking for acceptance; Wi. has now has that group you can hang your hat on.

01-Jan-17
No! I hunt 90 percent of my time in Buffalo, WI. Crossbows have resulted in many more buck kills in my area. Don't want to see it happen in MN too..

01-Jan-17
Buffalo Bucks you can shoot and kill deer with a 30-35# bow, or get a permit if you can't so that. The asking for full including in archery season sounds like an excuse of not having to do research on light poundage bow or a health practitioner validating your bad shoulder issue. It's pretty safe to say in this forum, crossbows are neither desired or wanted in MN for able bodied archers. Being 60 is not a disability.. Hear that MN DNR??

09-Jan-18
just had my second shoulder surgery at 64 years of age , I will still not ever use a x-bow during the archery season . archery is being able to draw on the animal at close range if you can`t do that at 30 lbs. or a higher draw weight its really not archery anymore. I have to much pride to use a x-bow ,to me its not archery anymore.

10-Jan-18
Absolutely not. Archery is archery. Hunt grouse in October.

10-Jan-18
I am on the Wisconsin forum a lot and Buffalo Bucks is not a handle I am familiar with. So if he/she does not post there why post here.

There are a lot of xbow issues in Wisconsin and people are complaining. Pushing for making it gun season only, or late season only, or muzzleloader season only. It was implemented as an experiment that was to be reviewed in 2 years but nobody I have talked to has heard about any review happening.

Look at the kill stats with bow versus crossbow in Wisconsin. Alarming numbers.

Did anyone notice this thread started in 2016.

It is all about the money, manufacturers and dealers are the only ones that profit.

12-Jan-18
Crossbows may be great for a person not physically able to hunt but he/she can use a gun. I believe crossbows allow more convicted felons into the sport - no one needs that!

12-Jan-18
When I did a MN DNR forum bowhunters presentation in 2009 crossbows came up and someone in the audience( I won't mention his name) brought up the crossbows for felons issue. Really that's your biggest concern, convicted felons couldn't have access to weapons to hunt??? I think he was looking for crossbow support anywhere he could. Recruitment , retention gimme a break, it has any always will be full inclusion they are pushing for..

17-Jan-18
If they really want to make it easy the DNR should just start dropping a dead deer, cut wrapped and frozen, on our doorsteps and cut to the chase already...maybe carry it in and put in the freezer for you guys with bum arms and legs..

17-Jan-18
But then it wouldn't be the right cuts or wrapped properly.

I lost a lot of faith in the local DNR, Dept of Ag when they declared all the donated meat unsafe and tossed it out one year (including any archery deer that were donated too). At a different forum I posed the question: If the lead results came back with many of the consumers levels lower than the average population how can there be a poisoning risk? Followed up with where is the Zinc Protorphorhydrin (ZPP) results? You know the indicator that the lead is actually being metabolized not just temporarily in the blood stream. There weren't any. Yeah wild game agency politics at its finest.

28-Jan-18
A MDHA Chapter is at it again, looking for a crossbow resolution to have it statewide, any season. One of the main reasons I didn't renew my membership many years ago. DUH, ,,,,

30-Jan-18
Sounds like there is legislation afoot in VA pushing the airbow into the archery season.

Let's make sure it doesn't happen here.

08-Feb-18
Was just in Cablea's Woodbury store and they had a airbow, if the x-bow comes non-restrictive this will be next. The salesman told me it shots faster than an x-bow and should be put in the gun season, absolute nuts to even get this far in bowhunting. But I can already hear it that it will the 5 yr old in hunting to kill a big buck and it is hard to argue with the kids thrown in it, the liberal's weapon.

11-Feb-18
And the Consumer Protection Offices will be full of complaints ,failed product deign etc. as this thing becomes widely used???

12-Feb-18
Do you really believe a state so stupid as ours, who just completed a late season hunt to find CWD...and found NONE...yet is going to open it up again through mid-March to kill a bunch more (most carrying fawns I'm guessing), really gives two sh!ts about how or by what method deer are killed in this state?!?! Bazookas will be allowed if they have their say, mark my words!

12-Feb-18
I think the agenda of killing as many deer as possible is hidden in the CWD threat, makes it more plausible with less push back.

13-Feb-18
DING DING! Give that man a prize!

I think you're right Tony, they want every last deer removed from the landscape so this whole CWD is the gift that just keeps on giving as far as they're concerned. Kind of like the whole AIS bullsh!t is for the lake associations wanting to keep Joe Public off "their" lakes. We're f'd..

14-Feb-18

Butternut40's Link
Here you go

24-Feb-18
If passed who is with me to demand all means fish harvest?? Yep its a recruitment and retaining tool to let everyone enjoy harvesting fish at any time of the year with any method of take they choose. Some folks can't fish with rod and line well so they need a set line or better yet a spear, but spears have to be thrown so some folks want archery, crossbows to project the spear. Nets are great during spawning season, electricity and poison such a Rotenone is great to bring them to the surface then I can just scoop them up. Com'n everyone!! Its our resource we must be able to harvest it any way the masses want... The DNR lisc. revenue would just be phenomenal as everyone will now have a chance to go fishing and be successful, no conflict between groups at all... RIGHT??? or does method and seasons matter??

25-Feb-18
Minnesota Deer Hunters Inc voted 2 to 1 to not recomend crossbows in the archery season on Saturday this weekend

26-Feb-18
Awesome!

26-Feb-18
That's good news...now if the DNR will just listen.

07-Apr-18
Jeff Johnson for governor in 2018. Palenty while running better listen to hunters and fishermen too, or he will just crash the ATV again.

17-Apr-18
I don't understand the logic of some statements here and don't want to get too far off topic, but someone enlighten me please. Deer hunting is by far the biggest source of funding for the wildlife department, what benefit is there to "making up" cwd to kill off all the deer in an area. Also, how is AIS not a real problem? I've seen negative effects first hand in lakes near my hometown. There are also numerous scientific sources that will support my statements if you put away the tin foil hat do a little looking.

21-Apr-18
I have heard ATA has changed their stance on allowing crossbows in the general archery season.

This is great news, they can already be used with a permit for disabled, in general firearms for deer, turkey and bear seasons, which is more than enough.

23-Apr-18
That would be great! Hope you are right Tonybear61!

• Sitka Gear