LONEBULL 30-Dec-16
wyobullshooter 30-Dec-16
Alpineman 30-Dec-16
wyobullshooter 31-Dec-16
Topgun 30-06 31-Dec-16
Alpineman 31-Dec-16
Saphead 13-Jun-17
19-Dec-16
Travelling to Wyoming next September and need a pickup for about 3or 4 weeks any suggestions please?

19-Dec-16
Google the rental car agencies available in Wyoming and many will have what you need.

19-Dec-16
I should have stated - OTHER THAN CAR RENTALS. I was trying to avoid rentals, thinking more along the lines of the second hand car market, or an alternative, suggestions? someone in say Gillette, Cheyenne, Casper, may be able to answer? thanks for your response anyway Topgun.

19-Dec-16
I'd do like I mentioned, as you may be surprised at the price they'll quote if you rent a PU for the time frame you're talking about. A guy rented one in Flagstaff, AZ that was hunting 6A and camped near us and the price he paid was very reasonable.

19-Dec-16
Ok that's encouraging, so far I have been quoted around $2000 for a rental.

22-Dec-16
Not exactly what you are looking for.

My pickup will be going into body shop in January. Enterprise is $36.95 a day for a rental pickup while mine is in the shop. (Tab being picked up by other guys insurance company so it may be a negotiated rate)

If you came up with that rate for 4 weeks, it would be a little over a grand. (And I would trust a rental vs some throw away truck)

22-Dec-16
"(And I would trust a rental vs some throw away truck)"

Exactly what Z said. Any good truck will be in the mountains that time of year anyway! ;-)

23-Dec-16
Thanks for the heads up Z Barebow. I am sure i looked at Enterprise they were $2,400

23-Dec-16
I just google car rental in laramie for sept 1 -sep 29. Kayak site showed Enterprise had a truck for $1101.

24-Dec-16
Thanks Aspen Ghost. Hmmm maybe I should ring them and clarify the confusion. Cheers

28-Dec-16

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Another thing to think about Alpineman. Do you really need a truck? A couple years back, I rented a midsized car for a scouting trip in CO. (No I didn't tell them I what I was doing!) I got a Kia Sorrento All Wheel Drive. Only stipulation on agreement is I had to stay in the state, unlimited mileage. That things went where ever I needed it to go. (And I took it in some tough places) I flipped the back seat down and I slept in it. If hunting archery, yes you might have snow. But if you are worried, buy a set of chains for the rental. If you don't use them return them when you are done.

This is an "after" pic! (The car had 500 miles on it when I picked it up!)

29-Dec-16
Great point Z Barebow, no idea if I need a truck or not. I just presumed 4wd and the better ground clearance would have to be a good thing. Of course my main concern is damage caused to the vehicle I would think a damage waiver is a must! I would think any damage just gets charged to the "deposit" credit card. I don't understand your comment about archery hunting and snow. I would have thought hunting later (rifle season) there would be a greater chance of snow? Thanks for the input slowly getting a handle on what I might be up against. Now maybe I should ask if I am going to need a 4wd truck driving around in unit 82? Thanks again.

29-Dec-16
Alpineman

My comment about archery and snow is that since this is Bowsite and you are hunting September. Snow is a definitely possibility in Sept. Depending upon how high you are, you can get dumped on. But typically Sept snows are gone in several days. If you need to get somewhere, 4 wheel drive can be nice, but unless you need to move when snow is deep, likely not necessary.

My car I took on some god awful roads. Terribly rocky. But I just took it slow and maneuvered around any rocks that could cause clearance issues and I never popped a tire. I have hunted western Wyo and I would not have needed a 4 WD to access where I went.

29-Dec-16
unit 82 for which species?

29-Dec-16
Z Barebow thanks again for your reply, all help, comments and advice taken on board and appreciated. LONEBULL sorry, mule deer as I would have to guess there would be no whitetail? Thanks

30-Dec-16
Never hunted that end of the state much so I can't really tell you much about the roads. It can and probably will snow in Sept. but only lasts a couple of days usually. Good luck to you.

30-Dec-16
I've hunted area 82 and there's no way I'd be without 4WD! You may not need it if you stay on the main roads, but it could certainly limit access on some side roads/trails, and that's when it's dry. As Z points out, snow's always a possibility in Sep, although it's normally just a few inches, unless you're high. However, snow isn't your only concern. Once you get off the highway, most roads are clay-based...some have gravel, some don't. When those roads get wet, they are slicker than snot! That's the main reason I wouldn't even consider going there without 4WD. Even with 4WD, when it gets wet, rain or snow, getting around can be a pain in the you-know what.

30-Dec-16
Thanks for your advice and thoughts wyobullshooter. I have always owned a 4wd and living where I do I need one daily, we need and use the 4wd for travelling in snow every winter in our mountains even here on my cattle ranch. I have found some info on elevations in unit 82 deer, I will be well prepared for snow. I have read various opinions on access and % of private as compared to public I will be hunting on public land at this stage anyway. What opinion are out there on access and is the public "checkerboard"? Thanks again.

31-Dec-16
Lots of public land, both nat'l forest and BLM. Checkerboarding isn't an issue for the great majority of the area. Best of luck on your hunt!

31-Dec-16
Plenty of public land that is accessible in 82. However, you are asking for trouble and lost hunting opportunities if you lack a 4WD high clearance vehicle with chains if moisture hits and you want to go anywhere out there that isn't either blacktop or good gravel!

31-Dec-16
Thanks wyobullshooter, that's great news, I am so looking forward to getting back to Wyoming hunting. Advice duly noted on high clearance 4wd thanks Topgun 30-06

13-Jun-17
Maybe U-haul has a 4wd pickup.

• Sitka Gear