ELKMAN 12-Feb-17
AZBUGLER 12-Feb-17
ELKMAN 15-Feb-17
01-Jan-17

hunting dad's embedded Photo
A great father and sons hunt
A great father and sons hunt
Went out with two of my sons today after the rain quit. Got it done at 28 yds.

04-Jan-17

bowbender77's embedded Photo
bowbender77's embedded Photo
01/04/2017 HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

06-Jan-17

azcouescrazy's embedded Photo
20a pig from day 2
20a pig from day 2

06-Jan-17
All right, way to get it going guys. We're headed back out tomorrow. Nice looking mt. pig Daniel. What did it weigh?

06-Jan-17
It weighed 29 pounds without guts, head and hide. Big pig

06-Jan-17
Right on azcouescrazy!

06-Jan-17
Wow, it looked bigger than that. It's got a big head!

07-Jan-17

We guessed him close to 55, he has the biggest head on a pig that I have ever seen. I'm gonna try to put him into the bow hunting in AZ record book. Something tells me he's fairly big.

07-Jan-17
You should definitely enter him!

07-Jan-17

Nice boar
Nice boar
My Hawaiian friend James just filled his tag. 37.4 lbs field dressed.

11-Jan-17

Good buddy shot his first big game animal yesterday with a great 23 yards shot.

11-Jan-17
way to go guys. let's get some more on the pole. 2 more weekends to go. hopefully my son gets to hunt this weekend.

12-Jan-17

HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
54 pounds field dressed
HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
54 pounds field dressed
One of my favorite hunts. These javelina's are extremely hard to find. Being that the weather is so warm they are totally nocturnal. They are not your typical mountain Javelina. The javelina is a boar weighing 54# field dressed. Typically the sows are heavier, especially a breeding sow but if you are into record books the boars generally have larger skulls.

15-Jan-17

GaryB@Home's embedded Photo
GaryB@Home's embedded Photo

15-Jan-17

BowmanMD's embedded Photo
BowmanMD's embedded Photo
My AZ pig. 65 lb sow. 25 yd shot. Favorite hunt of the year!!

15-Jan-17
Nice! Looks like some good weather. Rained all weekend in central AZ

17-Jan-17
This is the heaviest Javelina I've ever seen on the ground. Not sure what the weight was, but I would guess in the 70ies. What do you guys think? __________________________________vvv

17-Jan-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

17-Jan-17
That pig is a stud, the head is giant!!!

20-Jan-17

dharchery's embedded Photo
dharchery's embedded Photo
Just registered with Bowsite. First post... Doubled up at 40 yards. Time to chase some bucks!

20-Jan-17
ELKMAN, is that weight field dressed. Boar or Sow? You can tell a lot about weight by the available food in the area....desert or agriculture. It's a really nice javelina. Next time measure the length, nose to tail laying flat. Big Javelina's are more than 38 inches long. I have measured some at 41 to 43 inches and were 65 pounds and heavier field dressed on a certified scale. The largest I have seen I have a full body mount and it weighed 81-3/4 pounds!

20-Jan-17
Welcome dharchery! Awesome double.

23-Jan-17
If I was guessing I would say that pig of mine above is in the 80 pound range, but I can't prove it. I have killed one or two of these cactus bounders and that sow is the largest BY FAR that I have ever witnessed dead on the ground, and I have seen a few that were in the sixties. Lets see a photo of your mount.

23-Jan-17
Was she pregnant? Mine had 3 little piggies in her. 8( Bummer but no way to tell until after the shot.

23-Jan-17
BTW does anyone have any good javelina marinade recipes? I am having the usual chorizo made with most of the meat, but I'm going to actually try to grill out one of the backstraps for the first time. Feeling brave!

23-Jan-17
I make mine into snack sticks (slim jims), makes a great snack for your pack. Easily done by yourself if you have a meat grinder.

24-Jan-17
She was not. We generally never shoot sows, but on that one to be honest she was so big and dominant I thought she was an older boar, but she actually wasn't even super old, more just prime. If I remember right her skull was pushing 16". As far as the marinade I would do a heavy rub with either Montreal steak seasoning with brown sugar, or Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning mixed with brown sugar. Then add your olive oil to the bag along with chopped garlic, onion, and cilantro. Let refrigerate for 3 days then bacon wrap to seal in moisture (use toothpicks to hold in place), then grill hot and fast leaving center slightly pink. If the meat was handled correctly you will be very surprised...

24-Jan-17
"her skull was pushing 16"

Casey, the Arizona state record for both bow and rifle (all weapons) record books is 15 4/16. It usually takes a boar to even meet 14 inches, since sows don't tend to have large skulls. When measuring them, the front teeth are not included, unlike measuring a bear or lion, which is probably why yours seemed to measure so large. You probably included the teeth, like you would on most species.

I injected a full loin with marinade once, and deep fried the entire thing in peanut oil (we were deep frying a turkey, so used the same marinade and fried it after the turkey was finished). It was delicious. I don't recall the exact marinade.

25-Jan-17
"We generally never shoot sows" How do you manage that? Is there a way to tell easily? I'm usually so excited when I get in the middle of a herd of pigs that I just shoot the closest mature pig that gives me a decent shot!

26-Jan-17
StickFlicker: I just went and checked and it was "pushing 15". My mistake I'm not a score guy so never worried one way or the other, I just knew it was around either 14, or 15, or 16 or something! LOL! I know not to measure with teeth. If you look at my profile you will see we have done this just a little bit.

BowmanMD: They are actually pretty easy to differentiate if you've spent a lot of time in and around them. Body shape, type and proportion is the easiest, Head shape, width, also their role within the herd dynamic, but the most accurate is just to get a look at them from behind. I shoot these guys at an average of about 15 yards, so some are at 4 yards, and some are at 20, but we don't shoot beyond that, so we generally have plenty of time to evaluate...

27-Jan-17
I'm no Wildlife Biologist and not sure about their social and breeding habits but wonder if shooting only Boars from a Javelina herd might have more of an impact on a herd.

28-Jan-17
GaryB, really? Look to deer management, trophy elk units , lion hunts etc. Theres always another swinging dick to step in. Javelina breed year round, a sow goes into heat theres a boar, mature or otherwise, ready to hit that.

29-Jan-17
Yes really, the dynamics of a Javelina herd or completely different than Deer or Elk, I don't believe Javelina boars experience a rut and seek available sows in a larger area. Lions are not even a herd animal.

30-Jan-17
My point with lions is , you kill a tom in an area, another tom will move in if there are females. In any species, one male can service many females.

30-Jan-17

sheds's embedded Photo
sheds's embedded Photo
My son Dylan's 2017 Arizona javalina

31-Jan-17

Elkivory's embedded Photo
Elkivory's embedded Photo
Taken on 1/22/17; the 8th day of hunting. Seemed like a tough year.

01-Feb-17
Congratulations to all the successful javi hunters!

02-Feb-17
Nice going with the longbow Dylan!

02-Feb-17
Thanks hunting dad, my son Dylan has been living in Arizona now for just over a year and this javi was his first Arizona bowkill ! I live in Colorado, and may need to get out and hunt these pigs with him next year.

05-Feb-17

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
Yeehaw! My son, Devan, shot his very first javelina this year on the Jr. hunt.

06-Feb-17
We had wondered the same thing being that the older Boars definitely seem to take on a protector roll. What we decided is that we would no longer shoot the larger boars in the group, along with not shooting sows. It makes it a challenge, but fun!

07-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

10-Feb-17

Not archery, but proud of my son for taking his first javelina with his grandpas model 94 30-30 and open sights.

10-Feb-17
Way to go Chris. Keeping them in the sport! Nice pig Devan. With Gpa's .30-30 to boot.

12-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

12-Feb-17
Thanks Kevin! It was a fun hunt for us.

15-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear