Contributors to this thread:
RutnStrut 24-Jan-17
ahunter55 24-Jan-17
RutnStrut 26-Jan-17
IAHUNTER 28-Jan-17
ahunter55 03-Feb-17
JusPassin 26-Feb-17
24-Jan-17
Hello all, WI resident here. I have a question about your fine state. I know what you are thinking. Great another darn non res. Yup, but in my defense I'm a great guy;) I am researching areas in Iowa for a DIY public land hunt. It will be a few years, but I like to be prepared. I have heard other people residents and non say stay out of the NW part of the state. Why is that? Thanks in advance.

24-Jan-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Low Deer numbers. Many counties issue NO Antlerless tags.. If you want out that way, look at the Loess Hills. It's Iowa's little own Mountain range & lots of rough good deer country. Now, that being said, having bow hunted 14 States, Ws. is my favorite & I've bowhunted more times than I can count. All over, Boulder Jct., Minocqua, Hayward, Black River Falls, Eagle River, Necedah, Ft. McCoy Love it all. My 1st horns came from Ws. 1964 & my 1st time North for a week was 1958.

26-Jan-17
Thanks ahunter55, very cool pic. I love hunting WI. I used to LOVE hunting the northwoods. But as I am sure you know. Predators, hard winters, and liberal doe tags, have really hurt the northern deer herd. Plus I really want to hunt Iowa once in my life. I don't expect a booner behind every tree. I'll be happy with a mature buck, regardless of score. I just like hunting new places. It seems odd to me to only have one reply to this. In the WI forum we get out of state questions all the time and within a day there are many responses.

28-Jan-17
Grew up hunting west-central and northwest Iowa. To be honest, there isn't much cover and low deer numbers on most public. But, deer can be easy to target before the pheasant hunters run them off onto private ground where access is limited. This year I hunted south central Iowa and have never had hunting so good, most of NW Iowa-besides along the Missouri, doesn't even compare in my book. My dad grew up hunting NW Iowa in the 50's and he said hunt south of I-80. He was right. Good luck, if you have any more questions, please send me a PM.

03-Feb-17

I would look at areas in the S. Central as this seems to be an area with good numbers most of the time OR the very N. East counties along the border have big numbers. We have had a good winter for sure & far enough along numbers should be better this fall. Where I hunted, I saw less Deer and for the 1st time, gunners I know did NOT fill all their tags. My Deer target "exactly" 30 yds from my Deck. Yes, I am legal to bowhunt my property but I no longer shoot Does or small bucks.

26-Feb-17
Alamakee and Clayton are killing off deer to test for CWD.

• Sitka Gear