Contributors to this thread:
hammer 09-Feb-17
Bowman 28-Jan-20
Dale06 22-Jan-22
txhunter58 04-Feb-22
txhunter58 04-Feb-22
txhunter58 04-Feb-22
09-Feb-17
Starting to look to purchase a piece of hunting land that my son and I can use . Been looking up all sorts of property and its overwhelming.My wife wants to find something that's within driving range of Austin.She has family there.I truly have no idea where to start.Big state.Looked into Edwards county.Some nice ranches there with I guess what they consider parcels of land for sale.Was wondering if say 30 -40 acres was enough to have to hunt on.Prices seem affordable.Less than 100k and photos show some nice hunting opportunities.Deer,hogs,Axis..Some have small cabins which would be a plus. I've never hunted Texas and would appreciate any help in regards to land purchase , locations and info in regards to owning a piece of the "ranch".Thank you in advance.Mike

28-Jan-20
22-Jan-22
Any reason not to contact a realtor?

04-Feb-22
“ Was wondering if say 30 -40 acres was enough to have to hunt on”

In short, no. Those type of “ranches” are surrounded by similar 40 acre ranches. And if they share a fence with a big ranch, a deer proof fence can be erected on that side.

I’m own a ranch in Sutton Co (just north of there) so am familiar with the area. Biologists in the area will tell you to take no more than 1 buck per 100 acres. Even if you double/triple that, you could barely take 1 buck per year. Think your neighbors will be only taking one? You will soon be sitting at your 1 feeder ( not big enough for 2) and nothing coming.

You would be better to find a good lease. Call the feed stores in the towns where you are interested and see. If they know of anyone leasing.

04-Feb-22
I know there are lots that cost more, but I charge $2500 which allows 1 lessor to take 1 whitetail buck, 1 exotic buck, 2 WT does, 2 exotic does, 4 turkeys and unlimited hogs. 1 lessor per 150 acres.

No I don’t have any openings! And a waiting list if I do, so not trying to get lessors. ??

But just wanted to let you know what you can be looking for. Even if you both get a spot, you can get some much better critters for 20 years for the price of the 40 acres with almost no critters.

04-Feb-22
Hahahaha!

Silly me. Just realized this question is 5 years old.

• Sitka Gear