Freed59 07-Mar-17
Topgun 30-06 07-Mar-17
plenty coups 07-Mar-17
Freed59 07-Mar-17
plenty coups 08-Mar-17
Freed59 08-Mar-17
nickstone 12-Jun-17
16-Feb-17
Hey everyone I will be moving to Sheridan in April this spring. I wanted to ask on here if anyone knows of any ranges in the area as well as any 3D shoots in the area?

Also I'm trying to figure out the application process and some areas to hunt in. I put in for a cow tag in area 37,but not sure what to do for deer?

Looking forward to getting down there!

16-Feb-17
I think the Sheridan Sportsman Association has a range and they usually have a big shoot at Bear Lodge in the Summer.

17-Feb-17
To bad you won't be here on March 24th-26th. you could come over to Cody for the Bowhunters of Wyoming banquet and could meet quite a few people from that area and that hunt those areas.

19-Feb-17
There's a great range out on the northwest edge of Sheridan with bow, handguns, and rifles out to at least 400 yards along with trap/skeet. My buddy lives just north of town and belongs to it, but I can't remember the actual name of the place. We were out there several times while I was out in September and October. I don't know the rates, but I remember John telling me that they aren't bad for a yearly membership.

20-Feb-17
I know there was a big archery shoot in the Bighorn Mtns. above Buffalo last summer around 4th of July.

21-Feb-17
I live in Sheridan. I belong to the Sheridan County Sportsmans Association range. Good place to shoot outdoors. A small indoor range at Discount Sports for those cold winter days. Also a 3D shoot on the Mountain in the summer. There are some archery only areas for deer hunting. Hunting private land is pretty hard to find around here.

01-Mar-17
I'll have to check those shoots and ranges out. I'm looking forward to getting out there and starting to figure out my way around. I drew a cow tag in 38 for this fall, hoping it will be a good first elk hunt. Anyone have any advice for a first timer?

03-Mar-17
Bow or rifle?

05-Mar-17
It's a 38-4 license so I believe that it is a rifle tag, but can hunt in the bow season before with the Archery license. Am I understanding it right? But I am planning on using my bow during rifle season anyway.

06-Mar-17
Unless it has changed no you can't hunt during the archery season with a type 4 tag in area 38 but like you stated you can certainly use a bow during the rifle season if you wish.

06-Mar-17
So the only way you can hunt the Archery season in unit 38 is with a type 9 tag?

06-Mar-17
Also I was just looking at the season dates for last year, what's the difference between the limited quota dates and the regular type 4 season. The limited quota type 4 dates are October 1-10 while the regular is Oct. 15-nov.15.

06-Mar-17
That is correct in that unit 38 is one of a few units that you must have a Type 9 tag to hunt with archery equipment in September. The difference in dates is not unusual , as there are many different seasons depending on what tag you hold. You will only be able to hunt the 38-4 tag for those first ten days of October, so I hope you can get time off from work if you're not retired already!

07-Mar-17

Freed59's embedded Photo
2016 season dates elk
Freed59's embedded Photo
2016 season dates elk
OK that makes sense, my next question is what is the difference between the two 38-4 tags here?

Is the limited one for people who drew a tag and the other one for residents who buy an otc tag?

This is from last year but just trying to figure it out a bit beforehand.

07-Mar-17
I only looked at what you were talking about from last year and that is what you have now posted. The 38-4 tag last year was good for both those dates shown above, as I missed the other line for the second season dates, and not what you possibly thought. This year the booklet is only showing an opener of 10/15 and it's valid only on private land or other public land spots as indicated for that season. They will probably have that other season from 10/1-10/10 like last year, but you won't know for sure until after the Final Regulations are signed off by the G&F Commission and posted in late April. Hope that helps!

07-Mar-17
You will have additional restrictions as per season dates. Type 38 rifle tag success is difficult at best unless you have access to private grounds that hold elk or are a sanctuary once the major shooting starts. Of course back country horse packing changes the game perimeters.

07-Mar-17
Thanks for the help it's always a challenge learning the ins and outs of a new states regulations. I didnt have a lot of them to look at the different units in more detail as I only found out that I was moving Jan 25th.

Any recommendations for deer?

08-Mar-17
If you are interested in archery deer let me know. Can get you started off.

08-Mar-17
Plenty coups I sent you a pm

12-Jun-17
I sent you a pm to plenty coups

• Sitka Gear