Upon reading the label for the product, we have some concerns. Just a few of the precautionary statements are: 1) This poison is hazardous to humans, domestic animals and pets. Protective gear must be worn when retrieving carcasses which have been poisoned.
2) This product is toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife. Dogs and other predatory and scavenging mammals and birds might be poisoned if they feed upon animals that have eaten the bait.
3) The product may not be applied directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the high-water mark.
4) Water can be contaminated when disposing of equipment wash waters.
5) Product can only be used in non-crop areas
6) Hogs must be conditioned to accept the poisoned feed and to open the lids on bait dispensers.
7) Livestock may not be grazed in pastures where the bait has been used for at least 90 days after the poison has been removed.
8) Poisoned animals must be disposed of properly. Carcasses should be buried deep enough that all of the carcass is at least 18 inches underground.
9) This chemical in this poison is known to cause birth defects and reproductive harm.
This poison is indiscriminate and will kill anything that eats it and/or the carcass of anything that eats it. And because of their sloppy eating habits, there is no way to assure that only hogs will eat the bait! Please call your State Senator and tell them you do not want to see the wildlife in our state poisoned! This bill has already passed through committee. Apparently nobody read the warning label.
I was recently in South Central Oklahoma helping a landowner remove some hogs. I've grown up in eastern Oklahoma where hogs are not common and I can go out and find many acorns on the ground as of right now. Down south the hogs are so bad there are no acorns to be found! Think about The impact this is going to have on the next generations forestation!?
I think it's a bad idea that is doomed to fail. I think the hogs are like the coyotes. Do whatever you want if it makes you feel good but don't expect to eliminate them.