pop-r 26-Mar-17
sbschindler 26-Mar-17
dr. bob 27-Mar-17
ROUGHCOUNTRY 27-Mar-17
plenty coups 27-Mar-17
Phil 29-Mar-17
svrelk 30-Mar-17
25-Mar-17
What is your thoughts and opinion on what separates a good elk hunter from an average elk hunter. Is it simply more time spent in the field, knowledge of the animal they're hunting, equipment, ability to use an elk call, spot and stalk technique, etc.?

What works for you? What tips would you give that "average" bow hunter to allow them to improve their skills and/or knowledge?

26-Mar-17
Post this up on the elk forum and I'm guessing you'll get a lot more constructive responses. Not as many guys hanging out on MT forum.

As to your question, in my opinion.....Effort. The guys I know that kill bulls every year with their bow put in more time. All year long. Not just September. They may tag out the first week but they spend all year studying and watching the elk.

26-Mar-17
I believe effort goes a long ways. My number one I guess would have to be OPTIMISM. Elk hunting is hard & all good hunters have found some sort of niche that has helped them be successful & given them an advantage. That being said they've all spent many many days in the field unsuccessful & they have the ability to pull that OPTIMISM out & push on so that they're successful & therefore good elk hunters. Without it you can have every trick & tool you listed & be an average elk hunter.

26-Mar-17
knowledge of area is vitally important and the drive to hunt is a close 2nd,

27-Mar-17
quit making the same mistakes, learn from what doesn't work.

27-Mar-17
Whitetail guru Gene Wensel has stated: "How you hunt is not nearly as important as where you hunt." You won't kill Dan Evans type bulls unless you're putting a lot of time in the same type areas as he does..... 1. Keep trying and searching new areas until you find a quality area. 2. Give yourself plenty of time to get enough opportunities. 3. Know that it's physically demanding/exhausting to push hard each day all day....knowing your luck can and does change in a second and then it's all over for another year. 4. Be versatile and confident enough to change tactics from spot and stalk to calling to ambushing to using other hunters pressure on the elk. 5. Don't psyche yourself out by imagining elk are so hard to kill. In fact, when I think of public land antelope, mule deer, whitetails and elk.......elk regularly put themselves at a disadvantage in travel and bedding more than the other three.

Big bulls are a different story and none of the tips on this thread really matter if they aren't in the area you're hunting.......

27-Mar-17
Access to GOOD elk country that hold lots of elk.Access means entry to that habitat which is most often limited draw, private access or extreme terrains. Access can also mean- 4WD, horseback, foot traffic, ATV/ MC. If you are not able to get where the elk are (and many are not) your chances of scoring a kill is low. Ability for funding plays a major role.

29-Mar-17
Well said Roughcountry, very well said. I will be chiseling some of those words into my brick head, thank you.

30-Mar-17
Persistence.......

• Sitka Gear