JRABQ 24-Apr-17
BradD 12-May-17
BradD 12-May-17
JSW 22-May-17
HDE 31-May-17
earlyriser 01-Jun-17
HDE 04-Jun-17
14-Apr-17
I posted this in the general forum, but thought I'd also post on the state forum.

After 20+ years of applying, my elk hunting partner and I finally drew a OIL Oryx tag on the Stallion Range. Anyone who has hunted this area before that cares to comment about the hunt would be welcomed. Reading previous threads online it sounds like this is doable without a guide. Am I correct here? After hunting elk DIY for 30 years really don't want guide unless it increases your odds dramatically. Another question, is Socorro the best place to stay while on the hunt. Thanks for any comments.

14-Apr-17
I've never been on the Stallion Range for oryx but was on a hunt two years ago in Rhodes Canyon. Totally doable on your own but if you're from out of state and already dropped $1.6k on the tag you may consider a guide. I saw your post on the other thread and someone mentioned staying in Carrizozo. Socorro is only 30 minutes away max and has more to offer than Carrizozo which is about the same drive time from the Stallion Gate. Personally, I would stay in Socorro.

14-Apr-17
Hey congrats on your tag. Can't help with info as this is the first year we got a oryx tag. Do me a favor and push done off range please :). My 13yr old drew the July off range hunt and we're pumped.

14-Apr-17
Ditto, if you stay in Socorro you don't have to dine at alsips!

Side note, drove through socorro on my gila shed hunt trip. Stopped for snacks, cashier said they had a city wide sweep and arrested 58 heroin dealers! I said holy crap, they just cut the socorro population in half, they have 2 dealers per every addict. But in all serious I didn't realize it was such a problem over there. I was shocked.

15-Apr-17
That's why we don't stay there.

15-Apr-17
Thanks for the replies. I drew the Feb. '18 hunt gonna be a long 10 months wait.

16-Apr-17
The only thing a guide will help with is judging the size of one. It's not too hard to judge one if you pay attention to the other oryx around it. If it's by itself it's a little harder. If the horns reach the back while it's head is down feeding then it's a good one. You will mostly drive the roads looking and stopping to glass often. You can drive by them sometimes 3 times before you will see them and other times they stick out like a sore thumb.

Be aware of where you are when you shoot and be sure to stay away from any closed areas. It's a fun hunt and a really cool animal to watch. They will send you a lot of info with judging animals, what to expect, etc. Good luck!

16-Apr-17
Just did this same hunt myself this Feb 17-18 /2017.The above statement pretty much summed it up. They have good roads throughout place. You might try to find high spots to glass from or drive around find some,make stalk from there,,is what most did. Most importantly PICK your spot to drop one , they will let you drive in to load one up. Or have plenty help to drag one out. There will be a couple of guys at entrance that will skin and quarter for a fee. I did my own. Stay in Socorro easy drive,

17-Apr-17
May want to think about investing in a solid two wheel game cart. There is vegetation present that could wreck havoc on tires.

If you're not careful, dragging one out will destroy a cape...

18-Apr-17
You can take 3 guests. No reason four strong adults cannot pack out a mature Oryx in a single trip. Keep in mind though that there is a curfew. You have to get to the check station by a designated time. Packing out an animal is no excuse to miss your curfew. If you kill late, get to the check-station by curfew and ask Gilbert [WSMR Hunt Coordinator] for permission to retrieve the animal after hours. I can't guarantee the response, but I can guarantee that you'll be in compliance with the rules with this strategy.

I've been on a number of these hunts and on 100% of them I have witnessed hunters breaking the rules. This is a hunt conducted on military property. The hunt can be eliminated at any time. Don't bother trying to explain how much economic benefit this hunt brings to NM. The US Department of Defense doesn't give a rats ass about that. They'll eliminate a full day of your 2.5 day once-in-a-lifetime hunt without concern so they can test a particular weapon.

I don't blame them. Please understand that you are hunting an active military, weapons-testing facility. There are rules and failure to follow those rules jeopardizes the future of this hunt. I've applied for this hunt for over 20 years and I've never drawn. Follow the rules and help ensure this hunt will be around into the future.

18-Apr-17
The above post is exactly right and good advice...

18-Apr-17
24 years and waiting for me and I am a resident.

18-Apr-17
I think OIL hunts should be done away with and THOSE hunts ONLY should have some kind of point sysyem applied.

On another note, people usually do well against the mountains and far west side.

18-Apr-17
Painless, thanks for sharing that your hunt is in February...my daughter has the February off-range hunt so please, please PLEASE push a few out of the range!!! jk, good luck on your hunt

18-Apr-17
Well, from the off ranging I've done in the past, a day or two after the on range is done seem to show the best "new" numbers off range...

19-Apr-17
No points for any animal in our draw.

19-Apr-17
^^^^ which is why some have put in for 20 years (or more) and only can read and wish about it...

24-Apr-17

Key's embedded Photo
Key's embedded Photo
I got the tag last year and got a solid Bull. I'm happy to help you with what I saw and experienced. Shoot me a PM.

24-Apr-17
Congrats on a beautiful bull!! what is the length?

24-Apr-17
Heck yeah that's a really good one, congrats!

12-May-17
Been on 2 Stallion Hunts (my own and tagged along with a buddy on his). There is no need for a guide, the wardens having been helpful if your having problems finding oryx. Get off the main roads and hit some 2 tracks. Get on hills and scan the low areas. Good optics are a must and be prepared to shoot some distance (500yds). You probably won't have to shoot that far but best to be prepared. Shot mine at 450+ buddy shot his at only 100. Good luck and congrats on the hunt.

12-May-17
Been on 2 Stallion Hunts (my own and tagged along with a buddy on his). There is no need for a guide, the wardens having been helpful if your having problems finding oryx. Get off the main roads and hit some 2 tracks. Get on hills and scan the low areas. Good optics are a must and be prepared to shoot some distance (500yds). You probably won't have to shoot that far but best to be prepared. Shot mine at 450+ buddy shot his at only 100. Good luck and congrats on the hunt.

22-May-17
I've been on the Stallion range 6 or 7 times. It's a little more open that Rhodes but still a great area. Look for high spots and just glass. I usually hunt the north quarter of the area, mainly because I never have to go that far to find animals. Good bino's are a must as you will be looking all day long. If they're laying down, they are really hard to see. You have to keep looking until you pick one out or they start moving around. Take your time and don't spend the entire hunt driving around.

31-May-17
Just finished up my 18th oryx hunt (most of what I've done is off range) and we were successful. All the above advice is accurate and covers most every situation - it will greatly depend on the conditions of the hunt.

I've done everything from driving until you see fresh sign to glassing from a height. The most effective I have found is to be mobile and glass often, from the bed of your pickup (or higher if possible) and don't look for a silhouette necessarily, but the tell-tale black and white "clown face".

01-Jun-17
Good grief......18th? I've never heard of such success. Congrats!

04-Jun-17
Yeah - between my own and others I've been on seems like I've hunted oryx more times than I've bowhunted elk.

• Sitka Gear