JL 31-Aug-17
Timbrhuntr 01-Sep-17
JL 01-Sep-17
JL 04-Sep-17
Timbrhuntr 05-Sep-17
JL 08-Sep-17
JL 11-Sep-17
12-May-17
I looked all over the Montana FWP site to see how many leftover Big Game Comb licenses there were. Anyone know? In the years past it was posted on the FWP site. I wouldn't think all 17000 sold out in the draw????

13-May-17
The big game combos did sell out this year in the draw. First time in a while.

13-May-17
The ELk & Deer sold out but there are Elk only combo's left

13-May-17
Wow....surprised they sold out in the draw. That doesn't help much to get the NR license costs down.

14-May-17
I have never seen the Nr price go down only one way up!

14-May-17
I think the NR wolf went down a couple-three years ago.

14-May-17
Do we know what % didn't get the big game or deer combo?

11-Aug-17
I noticed I moved up on the big game combo alternate list today. I went up 51 spots. We're getting there....

12-Aug-17
Ha ha I moved up 93 but I'm still 303

12-Aug-17
There must be some crazy way the license folks figure the numbers. I went from 236 to 185.....51 spots. Maybe some folks pull their name off the alternate list and that reshuffles your position alot or a little depending on how many dropped out??

17-Aug-17
Now down to 176....

17-Aug-17
Are you dead set on holding a deer tag? The elk combo includes everything in the big game combo except a deer tag...and is available for purchase right now.

17-Aug-17
As a NR I figure if I'm already coming out there it would be worth the big game combo. I went to the license purchase section and it looks like the surplus elk combo's sold out a while back. There were some B tags still for sale.

18-Aug-17
Who would wanna go to MT without a deer tag!? Lol

18-Aug-17
So, maybe a dumb question but why am I always hearing about hunter numbers being down?? Sounds like they are as high as they have ever been?

18-Aug-17
Could be resident numbers are down?? If Montana keeps jacking up the NR's....maybe those will collapse too. That would probably be a good thing. Maybe the other high dollar states will come back down to earth.

18-Aug-17
2017 Alternate List Registration Looks like many of the NR's are somehow backing out of their elk/deer hunt this year. All the fire's maybe???

Currently Registered For: GENERAL - BIG GAME COMBO

Current Position: 113

19-Aug-17
I'm down to 221 LOL.

19-Aug-17
For me I have an invite to hunt antelope on a friends ranch. While I was there turkey hunting I saw a ton of mule deer and what looked like some good bucks there are no elk . I asked and he said if I get a tag I could hunt the mule deer too, that hasn't been hunted in over 25 years and some nice bucks but I cant get a tag ! The elk tag would be of no use to me. I did however get the archery antelope tag so looking forward to that.

19-Aug-17
You had a good bump to 221.

I've been watching the fire at the brother's place at Seeley Lake. It grew 2000 acres since yesterday....up to 14,000 and change today. It will grow again throughout the day with the high winds.

Good deal getting to hunt a buddies ranch for lopes. I'm still stewing I didn't draw a 700 series lope tag with the points I had. I got the doe tag....no buck. The brother pulled a buck tag. Maybe next time....

19-Aug-17
I talked to my buddy and he said there are no fires around him but it is dry. Good luck !

20-Aug-17
http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/recreation/article_fdad32ba-6d42-5301-956f-26c04ba0a506.html

22-Aug-17
Ok I feel like I'm in the running at 80.

22-Aug-17
B-T, I started at 236 and even then the license folks said I'd probably get one based on returns last year (300+). Based on that, I think you have an excellent chance. I also think the fires maybe scaring some of the NR's and they are backing out.

29-Aug-17

31-Aug-17

31-Aug-17
Your gonna catch up at this rate. I went to 95 today. The license folks sent out 200 letters to folks. The math doesn't add up but it's like the airlines. They "over notify" the folks on the alternate list in hopes of getting enough people to give the $1000+ dollars to sell the returned tags. Just because you get a letter and send in your money doesn't guarantee you got a tag. Very screwed up system IMO.

01-Sep-17
At this point it probably wont matter. I am supposed to be leaving in a week for the antelope hunt and I have yet to recieve my tag in the mail. I asked if I should have it sent to my friend in Montana but the person I talked to on the phone talked me out of that and said I would easily get my tag before the season even opened wrong again I guess. Lesson learned don't believe anything the Montana F&G tell you as they also told me the deer tags never sell out lol.

01-Sep-17
I got my lope doe tag in the mail a while back.

04-Sep-17
Talked to the brother last night and looked at the INCIWEB website. Not looking good for the next couple of days with the easterly winds around Seeley Lake. The campground where many neighbors were evacuated to was going to be closed due to growing fire threats. The Rice Ridge fire near doubled since yesterday. It's over 101,000 acres now and growing. They're hoping Seeley Lake will make it. Looking at the maps, the fire looked to be approx 3/4 - 1 mile from the house. He was of course bumming yesterday. I guess camper life is getting old. He said Hwy 200 to the east is closed due to one of the other fires near Lincoln. He said some folks are trying to figure out where to go next. He said some are heading to the Walmart parking lot in Missoula. It will be interesting for the next few days.

05-Sep-17
Talked to Montana f&g and they told me the license was sent but I shouldn't be surprised it hasn't arrived yet since I'm in Canada. Too funny! These guys are a real laugh a minute. But the good news I can drive another 4 hours and get a replacement but of course I have to pay extra for it. Guess it's my fault for believing anything they tell me I'm sure when I get to the office it will be a different story there too.

08-Sep-17
Now at #36. There must be folks bailing out due to the dry conditions, fires and closed block mgt areas. I'm leaning that way and just eat the antelope tag.

11-Sep-17
Got the FWP letter today saying my number is in the window. It doesn't look good for going though.

http://outdoornewsdaily.com/eighteen-block-management-areas-in-region-7-restrict-access/

Eighteen Block Management Areas in Region 7 restrict access NewsEngine | September 10, 2017 | Hunting News | No Comments

With the ongoing drought and fire danger, 18 Block Management Program cooperators in Fish, Wildlife & Parks Region 7 have restricted or closed access to their land until fire conditions improve.

The most updated list is available below, or people may visit the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov to check for any possible additional closures or changes to existing restrictions. Click on Hunting, then Block Management, then under the various regions to track closures.

“You may experience additional restrictions as you venture into the field,” said Region 7 Hunting Access Coordinator Travis Muscha. “Please be courteous and respect the restrictions put in place by landowners.”

FWP has no plans to close hunting seasons, leaving it up to landowners’ discretion whether to allow access. The agency is monitoring its own sites but at present has no plans to restrict access.

There are hundreds of Block Management Areas in Region 7 offering access to more than two million acres, so even with the closures, plenty of opportunties on private and public lands remain. Block Management staff at FWP regional headquarters in Miles City are available to assist people seeking areas to hunt.

Hunters should be aware that all of Region 7 is under Stage 1 fire restrictions, which means that campfires in hunting camps are banned, and smoking is allowed only in a vehicle or in an area clear of vegetation. To check whether there are restrictions or closures in areas you may want to hunt, visit inciweb.nwcg.gov.

Muscha mentioned some things sportsmen and women can do to help alleviate the start of any wildfires:

Park your vehicle on bare ground or ground completely void of tall grass Drive only on established roads Avoid driving through trails that may have tall grass After you leave an area, please wait for few minutes to make sure that a fire has not started where your vehicle was parked Bring along a fire extinguisher or water-filled weed sprayer, shovel or axe Check on any fire restrictions in place in the area where you are hunting

Have a safe and successful hunting season!

• Sitka Gear