splitlimb13's embedded Photo

02-Jun-17

02-Jun-17

02-Jun-17
Hard to beat getting out with the kids, looks like an awesome trip for the both of you!

looks like the burn is getting some vegetation, is it good stuff or is it weeds?

02-Jun-17
Where the burn was super hot tons of new aspen growth , TOO MUCH!!!! Mixed with thorns , but this area is all green green grass

02-Jun-17
I'm jealous of your horses. Looks like you 2 had a good time! Keep'm outdoors and off their phones. I see countless kids so disengaged with their nose stuck to electronic devices, raising him right. Good job.

02-Jun-17
Thank you Ohio, he really does love the pack country He's learning how to do all the pack saddle ties and stuff really becoming a good hand. We raise our own registered quarter horses and own around a dozen. Here are a few more pics for you.

02-Jun-17

02-Jun-17
Looks like an awesome time!

03-Jun-17
Nicely conditioned stock. Wow there's a lot of grass, thanks for sharing

04-Jun-17
Hope the bulls take it all In haha

07-Jul-17
splitlimb13 - you do realize that you've died and gone to heaven, right? You're living my dream my friend!! God has blessed you and you're sharing that with your son makes it as good as it can get!

Congrats and good luck this season.

07-Jul-17
Thank you Bob , the young man has been packing into the wilderness with me on horseback since he was 8 years old. Now that he's grown up he won't have it any other way. He absolutely loves it's!! Also he has become quite the hand and Hunter. Thanks again for looking.

09-Jul-17
Way to go Geno! It is so great your son has a father like you. Good looking pack job and the best stock. How much elk sign did you see? I will be taking the Gila Forest Supervisor and three District Rangers in the 24-26 to look at a possible reroute of #151 to the West Fork. Even if they accept the route it will still be two years and up to ever get the funding, but at least they are willing to look. The Supervisor Adam Mendonca is an avid elk hunter and has been in some of that country last fall and got a good education. He is the best Supervisor we have ever had on the Gila and we've had a bunch of them over the last 43 years.

My 13 year old grandson and my main packer went in a couple of weeks ago and cleaned some trail into our upper camp and it took us 8 hours to go 2 miles. What a horrible mess in the Wilderness this year. We have 26 out of 27 trails on the NW portion of the Gila Wilderness that are totally blocked and haven't been cleaned since the 2012 fire. If I didn't have my daughter and grandson and other good help I would absolutely throw my hands up in the air and call it quits. You cannot possibly imagine the nightmare of downed trees and washed out trails in the Whitewater/Baldy fire area. I have the state contract to pack for the NMDGF Fisheries Native Trout project in the Whitewater drainage and can't do anything because of the trails. We may get over Holt and down to Tennessee Meadow later this fall if I can work something in between my hunts. There were 278 trees down on the Crest Line trail between Sandy Point and Mogollon Baldy and I think the FS smoke jumpers might have gotten to Hummingbird but even them as firefighters couldn't use chain saws.

09-Jul-17
Always good hearing from you Tom ! Sounds like you are and will busier than ever here shortly! Ton of sign ! Very little water in any Creek ! The main rivers are running , but not much more than a dribble at my camp barley enough for the horses ! Really hoping for some rain to open up the creeks and streams ! Gotta remember to be careful what I wish for because it's been TOO WET most of the past years haha. Look forward to seeing you all at the trail head ! Make sure n save us one !! I'll be in your neck of the woods showing my brother around ,getting ready for his hunt. It's his first elk tag in 6 years so I'm gonna try and help him make it count!

• Sitka Gear