Jeff in MN 21-Jun-19
Glunker 11-May-20
DiRTY MiKE 11-May-20
Jeff in MN 13-May-20
Deernut 08-Jul-21
Deernut 08-Jul-21
kevinsstelly 09-Oct-22
09-Jul-17
I need to get my shore hardened with rip-rap. High waters over the years, especially last year have torn my bank down some. NE winds just pound my shore as it is 1.7 miles of open water in that direction. A court order says that the county is supposed to be somewhat in control of the water level via a dam and downstream maintenance (keeping brush and beaver dams cleared out) but they are just full of excuses.

Our county no longer provides the service of writing and submitting the state permit application because the new requirement to do it online is a real pain. Also the contractors I have talked to do not do the permits either because of what a pain it is. So here we are, screwed by the state's attempt to make it easy.

I have created an account on the state web site and it does look hard and horrible to a first time user.

So, does anyone here do them or does anyone know someone that might be available for hire to write mine?

09-Jul-17
Good luck with that one. I know how the permitting process works and it isn't easy and yes, very frustrating.

Is there an Army Corps of Engineer office near by? They helped with my permits and also had a good list of contractors.

10-Jul-17
Hey Jeff - there's a couple of different permits you can apply for depending on what is currently existing at your shoreline. Do you have any rip rap there now or is this a start from scratch installation? Do you have any delineated wetlands on your site?

20-Jul-17
Hey Jeff, Have you finished your process yet. I used to get about 10 -15 a year. Glad to help.

20-Jul-17
I'll check with one of my clients that just had some extensive rip-rap projects done 2 years ago.

20-Jul-17
No, I have not gotten far. I have my online account setup and snooped around a little but that is about it. I did find a landscape company, actually the one I have been waiting for a bid from for a couple of months now. Bumped into him at a store. They were going to do the permit but he has not even had time to come to look at it and give me a bid. He did agree that his assistant would do the permit work and if he did not get the time to give me a bid or do the work that he would just bill me for the time to do the permit work. But I would just as soon avoid him doing the permit. Looking like the actual work probably won't happen till next year, with MN bear just a month away and then archery deer around the corner after that . Would like to get it done this year but we'll see. So Trapper if you are willing that would be great!

This is new work, I guess those permits are a little more involved than repair permits.

20-Jul-17
If you've had to wait a couple months for a bid I'd tell him you're not interested in anything and find someone else. That is his livelihood and if he can't find the time to meet with you he is not worth your money.

I can only speak for myself but if someone calls me for an estimate I am there within a few days and work it out according to their schedule even if it means me driving an hour to do a bid at 8:30 at night (not fun when it happens). It shows that I actually want the work and value my customer. For everyone on here. Estimates should ALWAYS be free. From any contractor you're looking to deal with. If they want to charge you for an estimate than they are just looking for easy money.

Jeff, find a company who will earn your money.

26-Jul-17
Jeff I need the name of the lake, depth and a pushpin where your place is. you can pm me if you prefer.

21-Jun-19
Oh, I remember this problem. If I'm not mistaken, of course. Because I clearly remember that at that time I was studying at the university, I was in Canada to visit my friends and do some of my assignments. And I stumbled upon the news about it, for more info, although I’m not completely sure that this problem was described. But I know one thing, the problem was in platinum, there were some flaws and as far as I know, they have already been eliminated.

21-Jun-19
FYI, many contractors around Hayward do not even return your calls because they are just to busy to take on more jobs. Their loyalty is with the home builders that they work for on a regular basis. If you do find one they are likely to be no show when the time comes to do the work. Been trying to get some floor tile laid for 2 years. Nothing but no shows, one I talked to that is new to the area wouldn't even look at the work because he figured if others did not show up it must be because of something I did or said. (His wife is a lawyer, so go figure...)

The contractor that applied for my rip rap permit for me was not even interested in doing the work. Anyway, I think I have someone that will show up to do the rip rap in August. Fingers crossed. (He is Mennonite so I think the odds are good.) He said that my permit listed out a very expensive vegetation plan and communicated with the DNR to get his more economical vegetation approved.

21-Jun-19
True Dat, Jeff! I've been trying to find a builder for two years to build a new place in Grantsburg and about the only guy I can find is that Modular place on the north end of Siren. Everybody's booked or won't return my calls. If Burnett County wasn't so hard to deal with I'd build the dang house myself.

21-Jun-19
SF, I have built two homes at Hayward and except for Plumbing, block work, cement, and some of the heating, I did it all with the help of friends and occasionally hiring a few bodies for muscle and extra hands when needed. Now if I could just get that floor tile done.... I hate doing tile. The other hard thing with DIY on a house is financing.

11-May-20
5 posts above is something from kaalin with a hot link included. He is way off topic so I am suspicious about what that is about. I won't click on his handle. Is he a known poster and I am paranoid or is it what it looks like, something to avoid?

11-May-20
Don't click on his link. Sends you to a malicious site.

13-May-20
FYI, my rip rap project has been done for a while. Turned out good. One thing I wasn't expecting is all the weeds that get cut loose by propellers and get washed up on shore. Guess I just didn't notice it as much when it was easy to clean up on top of sand. Now it washes up on rocks and stay there until I clean it up, which is harder to do.

08-Jul-21

Deernut's embedded Photo
Deernut's embedded Photo

Deernut's Link
yes, I remember this. If I'm not mistaken, of course. Because I clearly remember that at that time I was studying at the university, I was in Florida to visit my friends and do some of my assignments. And I stumbled upon the news about it, For more info, although I’m not completely sure that this problem was described. But I know one thing, the problem was in platinum,

08-Jul-21

Deernut's embedded Photo
Deernut's embedded Photo

Deernut's Link
yes, I remember this. If I'm not mistaken, of course. Because I clearly remember that at that time I was studying at the university, I was in Florida to visit my friends and do some of my assignments. And I stumbled upon the news about it, For more info, although I’m not completely sure that this problem was described. But I know one thing, the problem was in platinum,

09-Oct-22
Applications are an interesting topic! There are good apps and not so good ones! It's like plastic surgery https://celebshistory.com cosmetic practice sometimes it rejuvenates sometimes it disfigures!

• Sitka Gear