Inshart 20-Oct-17
Inshart 20-Oct-17
12yards 20-Oct-17
TODDY 20-Oct-17
12yards 23-Oct-17
Inshart 23-Oct-17
St Cloud 06-Nov-17
12-Jul-17
I've been kicking around the idea of applying for the Camp Ripley hunt in October. Has anyone participated in this before? Personal experiences? Pros/Cons to the hunt?

13-Jul-17
hunted it for 20 years. you could use a bonus tag and regular lisesnse before. now you can only take one deer so i quit

17-Jul-17
The reason hunting has stunk in there the last few years is because of too many hunters and too many bonus tags. The herd was reduced in a huge way. I'm glad they quit allowing a bonus tag. The herd is coming back and hunting should be good again in a few years. There are big bucks to be had though.

For a first time hunter, it will be an eye opener for sure. Huge line in the morning, drive up to your spot and hope someone isn't already there. I would recommend driving up and if you see some woods devoid of a vehicle parked there, go hunt. Sit until at least past noon. Then maybe drive around and explore a little bit midday, and hunt a new spot in the evening. This way you will learn more for future hunts.

03-Aug-17
Wow, sounds really fun. Give me a swamp somewhere far from the crowds, lines aren't for me.

03-Aug-17
Don't get a flat tire when the gates open just before dawn. I did about 15 years ago and the NASCAR bowhunters almost ran me over while trying to fix it. Not a one stopped to assist or just direct traffic After hunting the place almost 30 years, Haven't been back since

22-Aug-17
I hunted there a couple of years, but one deer and during the pre-rut I'd rather hunt somewhere else.

24-Aug-17
Ha Tonybear61! I got a flat tire out there, but it was after I came out to my truck from hunting. What a pain in the butt changing a tire in the dark in a misty rain when you gotta be out of camp by 7 or 730.

06-Sep-17
Looks like the surplus Camp Ripley permits go on line Sept 15th. Hundreds are avail.

You can take a doe on your main tag or a bonus tag.

Must be getting desperate to gain interest....

20-Oct-17
Anybody hunting this weekend?

20-Oct-17
Yeah, I did. Sat all day Thursday - dark till dark - 3 does and one buck (about 130"). The wind was really bad blowing in all directions.

Back in my same spot Friday morning till about 1100 - nothing till I walked out to my truck and as I was putting everything away 2 does and a fawn walked out about 80 yards from me and walked right down the trial I was setting on. Oh well.

I began hunting in Ripley in 1973 - I've seen some real monsters in there and seen some real monsters taken out of there.

I remember some of the late season hunts in there where we would meet back at the truck to warm up at noon and not uncommon to each see 30 to 40 deer each.

One year there was about 12 to 14 inches of snow and I had herds go past me, where there would be anywhere from 10 to 15 deer in each bunch - oh those were the days.

Another time I walked out to the trucks (3 parked in one spot) and there was a guy that shot a nice buck and as he was dragging it out one of the antlers pulled off, and as we were loading it in his truck the other antler pulled off.

For sure "not what it used to be". I still enjoy it tho.

20-Oct-17
Thanks for the report! TODDY

20-Oct-17
I left there today at noon - biggest was a 4x4, 165 pounds, and the biggest rack - 9 point 155 pounds - totals .... 37 yesterday and 4 as of about noon today ..... 41 deer total.

20-Oct-17
I left there today at noon - biggest was a 4x4, 165 pounds, and the biggest rack - 9 point 155 pounds - totals .... 37 yesterday and 4 as of about noon today ..... 41 deer total.

Today it was 75 degrees with 30 MPH winds - so that wont help.

20-Oct-17
I hunted it and never saw a deer. I left today at about 1100. I don't think I've ever hunted it and not seen a deer. Really bad. Saw a bear.

20-Oct-17
Bummer on the lack of deer Steve! I'll probably hunt it again in a couple years if the population rebounds more.

23-Oct-17
I think it depended a lot on where you hunted. My buddy saw 13 deer and took a doe. I get nostalgic and always go to where I shot a couple nice bucks in the past. It is mostly mature woods which isn't that attractive to deer. I think I'll maybe hunt elsewhere next year if I get drawn (probably when I get drawn).

23-Oct-17
Agree 12 yards, I hunted in an oak tree filled bottle neck between 2 swamps, and only saw a few deer, while my buddy hunted next to open fields and saw quite a few deer. He shot a nice doe - it went into the "red" zone and they wouldn't let him go after it. The next morning the ravens were all over it just a little ways off the road.

He again saw quite a few deer on Friday - does, fawns and a couple small bucks - he left shortly after noon - just to darn hot.

06-Nov-17
Ummmm yes you are not, for any reason, going into the EOD zones. I heard the drone flying over the north EOD zone on Thursday.

• Sitka Gear