squirrel 17-Jul-17
Teaspoon 17-Jul-17
tobinsghost 18-Jul-17
sethosu 18-Jul-17
sethosu 18-Jul-17
Teaspoon 18-Jul-17
Charlie Rehor 06-May-18
13-Jul-17
Hoping to get some advice from people that have hunted the area. Have lived in Grand Junction the last 12 years and grew up in southwest Colorado. This is an area i don't have any experience hunting. Any insight would be much appreciatrd.

13-Jul-17
Contact John Gardener from Wild Life Expressions in Durango. He has a lot of experience in there chasing goats and helping others.

13-Jul-17
are you not scouting?

13-Jul-17
Will be scouting around Silverton, but wont be scouting anything accessed from the train. I'll leave that area for opening week.

13-Jul-17
The best advise I have for you is to turn your tag in so just maybe I will be the next in line to get the tag. Seriously, Good luck. I will PM you so I can get your email to send you some links.

13-Jul-17
Most guys just looking to shoot the first thing they see go up to Chicago Basin. There are a lot of nannies in there. Adjacent peaks offer a chance at a good billy.

14-Jul-17
Steep steep country One of the toughest goat hunts in the lower 48

14-Jul-17
Can't wait! I'm more than ready.

14-Jul-17
Whitefish killer was in there last year. Don't wait too long because you run a chance of heavy snow fall, which could end your hunt, Look into and plan where you're going. Sometimes guys do stupid things in there that end up with them loosing a goat, or thinking they can handle the country. Chicago Basin has the Twinky Goats, goats that eat twinkies and sweets left on the rocks by people. You'll see goats walking in amongst the tents. Jake and Sal Powell have killed a lot of goats in that area, and ended when Sal broke her leg and walked out!! Know what you're doing with the cliffs, and don't chase the goats onto the cliffs...

14-Jul-17
Not shooting at anything that i can't safely recover, and not stalking anything i can't safely get to. That hasn't and won't change.

16-Jul-17
I hunted in there 4 time and live near Durango. if i can help me cell # 303/868/2131

16-Jul-17
More than ready??? I would enjoy hearing that after coming out from a ten-twenty day adventure. And that lady walked out in a helicopter btw. It is a brutal hunt. Most cannot do it with any degree of competence nor success outside of hitting the tame goats early in Chicago. Be there for opening day as even goats figure it out quickly.

16-Jul-17
he won't be the only one who has had there behind handed to them in the needles

16-Jul-17

Orion's embedded Photo
Orion's embedded Photo
and yeah I've been in there my whole life, here is my dads goat which is the largest to come out of there and the only in boone and crockett from there that I know of. It wasn't from Chicago basin either.

16-Jul-17
the gps said 13,142 where that goat died. Most guys can't even breathe at that altitude let alone pack out a goat. Not trying to discourage you, but you should really start scouting and learn the terrain and what your up against. Kinda hard to say your more then ready when you said you haven't even started scouting

16-Jul-17
Agreed Orion. Most fail at the hunt, and of course it only gets really tough when you score... solo is tougher still of course. Every time I swear never again, yet go back for more...

16-Jul-17
Teaspoon, take up Trackman on his offer to help. He had the P&Y world record goat for about 20 years or more. He knows how to stalk goats in white long underwear, what tent not to take into the Needles, etc.

Good luck on your hunt!

16-Jul-17
That turned sour really fast, thanks for all the advice everyone. Hopefully my unprepared, eager, out of shape fat butt can make it to Silverton to catch the train! Yeehaw!

16-Jul-17
Good luck Teaspoon.

17-Jul-17
Didn't say you were fat or out of shape just wasn't sure how your more then ready and you haven't even scouted. Also catching the train in Durango to head in the needles might be a little better option especially if you need to grab anything before you head in.

17-Jul-17
Your hunt will not likely be determined by the fatness of your ass (nor firmness) but by knowledge inside your head and toughness from the neck up. Enthusiasm does not enter into the equation. Most hunts in the needles start like those old civil war movies with cheerful marching singing the "battle hymn" up the trail and the retreat looking like Lee after Gettysburg... moaning, bleeding, and the smell of rotting flesh. And yes I have been the singer and the moaner both, on many occasions.

17-Jul-17
Thanks again for all the advice. Don't mistake my eagerness for thinking it's going to be easy. I wouldn't be asking for advice if i did.

18-Jul-17
Teaspoon, good luck, post some pics!

18-Jul-17

sethosu's embedded Photo
sethosu's embedded Photo
2 years ago in G5. Good luck!

18-Jul-17
Don't go early. Just look at the two goats pictured above. You will be highly disappointed if you tag one early with no hair.

18-Jul-17
Awesome goat! Congrats. Thanks for the insight.

06-May-18
G5

• Sitka Gear