glittergoat 10-Aug-17
pogo 11-Aug-17
pogo 17-Aug-17
bas4109 17-Aug-17
wilbur 18-Aug-17
pogo 18-Aug-17
28-Jul-17
Help!

I just went down to the farm this morning after not being there since mid May and I am completely disappointed. The farmer that plows and plants did not get anything planted this year. It was too wet. He plowed but didn't plant. There was not much sign on the property I have permission to hunt at all.

The property all around this farm has corn, soybeans and alfalfa.

I put up two trail cams back in the oaks but I'm not very optimistic. The white oaks do not look promising. I found tiny acorns starting using binoculars but they look pretty sparce.

Is there any no till seed that I might use that will start and grow to attract the deer?

28-Jul-17
Thanks Pat...... I'm just about ten miles south of Rochester, just below the Thruway. I can't do anything such as perennial but it sounds like oats and brassicas might be the answer.

The land was plowed and the seed will have to be broadcast by hand. Can it be done? Even just about 5 acres?

31-Jul-17
I have 1.5 acres treated with lime/fertilizer and just burned it off....can I put a turnip/brass mix on or should I till?

31-Jul-17
Pogo sounds like you have great advice already.

I gotta say based on the area you described there should be no shortage of deer regardless of if you have food in your hunting spots! I hunt mostly caledonia area but also down south of Avon..You must be in that general area? The crop farm i hunt on is in the same boat as well... some fields never got planted.

This season will be interesting. There are a couple scenarios that could play out this fall. You may be able to get an idea for what will happen in your area by talking to the farmers.

Scenario 1) fields in general out here are saturated, especially corn since we have had very few hot sunny days and the corn has continued to grow. With the shade from the corn, the ground hasn't dried out, and at this rate may not by harvest time. As a result corn may not be harvested until the ground freezes up...or it may be harvested on time if it miraculously starts raining in normal intervals for the rest of summer into fall, instead of every other day. The corn harvest timing will likely be against your favor staying up into the season if not ALL deer season providing ample food and cover on your neighbors.

Scenario 2) Corn that was planted late may not yield for crap, and the farms may decide chop it to sell off what was intended to be combine ready corn. If they can't get the grain yield they can at least get some tonnage out of it. If the corn is chopped it will be done so in september most likely. I'd take a look at the neighboring fields - if they look spotty and short then they may chop it. This would play in your favor.

Scenario 3) As far as beans are concerned they will likely be harvested later this year, I'm predicting 2-3 week of october for many fields. Beans seem to be all over the board... some are 12" tall and some are normal height for this time of year. The fields allowing harvest is another story in itself, again. The obviously can't shelter deer but again will be a staple food source once they dry down in the end of september into october. Depending on the planting time and growing cycle the beans may be off by the first week of october. This would be in your favor.

31-Jul-17
SaddleReaper........ I hunt a little farther north..... near Mendon, just below the Thruway.

All of the crop fields that got planted are on higher ground...... corn, beans and alfalfa.

This farm I hunt is small but has ALWAYS provided corn, water, cover and acorns. But nothing was planted and the acorn crop doesn't look good at all. During my walk around last week there was a noticeable lack of deer sign.

I'm waiting for the land owner to return from a trip to get his permission to plant as Pat has suggested. It will be by hand broadcasting and using a rake.

01-Aug-17
Pogo sounds like a great place to be. I also hunt in Rush but on the west side of 390 from you. Probably my favorite area I've ever hunted.

I wouldn't doubt you'll have the deer come fall even with the lack of sign now. Crops will be harvested and deer will disperse. I think your plan is solid, and hopefully it allows you to position/ plant the food source to your advantage.

Speaking of alfalfa where I'm at they are cutting/ chopping as we speak.... so if the weather cooperates in another 28 days give or take another cut will come off. Again in another 28 which puts us to the week before october. Provided they get that last cut and depending on how it coincides with frosts could dictate whether or not the alfalfa fields provide much food for the deer going into season (over on your neighbors too). ...there may not be any regrowth to speak of.

For example I remember being in my stand last year in november and listening to the chopper all morning. They mowed the field in november and mowed it short since they were short on feed leaving about 4" of stubble.... there was next to nothing for the deer to eat. In a field where I would normally have deer flocking to all season and wintering over - it was empty. Even shed hunting this spring we'd normally find a bunch if sheds but found none.

Point is... a lot can happen with the crops that can shift the tables in your favor. I wouldn't lose hope just yet! After all Mendon is not a bad place to be come october :)

02-Aug-17
The farm I hunt did not get anything in until real late, I thought nothing was planted. I then drove by around the 4th of July and I see something poking up. I stopped got out and it was corn. All they did was spray round up and then no plow or disk and just planted. It is now almost chest high. Turns out the farmer had planted turnips and beets and other stuff and just left it in the fields which I knew but he had a plan to try what he did. The only thing is he wanted to plant earlier but the rain would not allow it. I have seen a couple P&Y bucks there and tons of does and small bucks. Hoping for a good year! I will be planting my plots starting about 2 weeks from now, gonna try oats again but although they came in good last year the deer did not seem to hit them hard, almost like they did not know what they were. Hopefully this year they know better! Shawn

08-Aug-17
Looks better than normal in 3N (Putnam County). Got several pics of bucks that have better racks than typical for this time of year. I'm pumped.

10-Aug-17
I'm in the Rochester area as well and hunt a farm in Leroy. They planted corn pretty late, but its 8 feet tall now. I planted brassicas on the wet edges where the corn didn't take and it is coming up fine. I was a bit skeptical of Throw-n-grow, but it looks like it works.

11-Aug-17
I have permission from the land owner..... he said plant whatever you want.

With that in mind I've purchased a small bag of Evolved Harvest Shot Plot and will put it in this week. There is one corner of the corn field that our deer have always favored where I put a ladder stand two years ago. It is the perfect spot for our typical southeast, southwest wind we see during bow season.

I'll keep you posted.

17-Aug-17

pogo's embedded Photo
I think he is a decent buck. Maybe not a shooter.
pogo's embedded Photo
I think he is a decent buck. Maybe not a shooter.
pogo's embedded Photo
He's a little better.
pogo's embedded Photo
He's a little better.
pogo's embedded Photo
I think this is Mr. Big on this farm but I may be wrong.
pogo's embedded Photo
I think this is Mr. Big on this farm but I may be wrong.
So maybe I panicked a little prematurely..... I checked my trail cams this morning before I planted my corner stand with Kill Plot brassica seed.

I do have a couple of decent bucks wandering around the oaks. One is a pretty decent buck and the other two need another year or two.

What do you think?

17-Aug-17
I think they would all make my hit list. Good luck!

18-Aug-17
I think that we are going to have a bunch of those great reports/stories that you submit every year. Hope you have a successful season.

18-Aug-17
bas4109....... sometimes I get too selective, especially before the Ruth.

Patti Lefemine...... thanks for answering twice! ??

Thanks Wilbur. Nice to know you enjoy my little words. I wasn't sure I was going to record this year's hunt on here.

• Sitka Gear