Bucket list 05-Aug-17
Dyjack 05-Aug-17
Muddyboots 05-Aug-17
Bucket list 05-Aug-17
Dyjack 06-Aug-17
78cj5 06-Aug-17
HDE 06-Aug-17
05-Aug-17
Need advice. Would I have a better chance to draw an elk cow tag or would I have the same opportunity if i apply for an ES tag. I have been trying for 4 years for ES tag with bow; nothing yet. I am beginning to dislike NM.

05-Aug-17
If you're a resident I think cow odds are higher. Not sure about non res. There's people who live here who never draw tags, it's all lottery luck.

05-Aug-17
Some cow hunts are resident's only, so either sex hunts would have the best odds.

05-Aug-17
I am a resident, have been since I started to apply in lottery. I am trying different combination of hunt units, dates. The only thing that I have not done is buy a tag. I can not afford the money tags are going for.

06-Aug-17
Can put in for bunk units that have brutal terrain and few elk. That'll probably get you a tag. But might not get you an elk.

06-Aug-17
All cow tags are resident only unless you buy a LO tag. I put in for a sucky unit that has low elk numbers and is a pain to hunt. About 20 residents put it down as a first choice and I have been lucky enough to be one of the five that didn't draw it as a first choice. It is all luck of the draw but if you put in for the Gila that has 200 tags and 4000 applicants you probably aren't going to draw it. Also don't be afraid to switch weapon choices. I put archery first but will have a ML antler less tag as a third choice.

06-Aug-17
For me, rather than put in for an "easy draw" unit I have zero experience with, I am better off (if I don't draw) heading to UT or CO OTC and hunt where I can find elk easier.

At the end of the day, cost will be similar, sort of.

• Sitka Gear