Jon Stewart 12-Aug-17
Autumn_Archer 16-Aug-17
Autumn_Archer 16-Aug-17
LonghairedDaddy 17-Aug-17
Missouribreaks 17-Aug-17
12-Aug-17

LonghairedDaddy's embedded Photo
I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of GLLI on this site. I'm about to head out for my first time being there. You should go too.

12-Aug-17
It is one of the many great traditional events in Michigan. Good lot of vendors will be there.

16-Aug-17
Great having you attend Dave. Had a great time shooting the courses with you.

16-Aug-17
LongHaired came out to GLLI on Saturday, at my urging. I have been buggin dear ol Dave for many years to give the longbow a try. Now hes no slouch with a bow, and as hard core a bowhunter as you will find anywhere. He was prefectly comfortable with his modern set-up, and quite proficient as well. But I still kept buggin him, and I noticed he did quietly admire the simple lines of my longbow.

Fast forward to late last fall, a long skinny box arrived in Daves mailbox, the handiwork of another bowsiter and in keeping with his modest nature, his name will remain, at least for now, a mystery. Dave came over to the house, and we spent some time with some basic lessons, and I sent him home with a few things to get him up and running.

To say he was excited, would be like sayin Lake Superior is a nice pond. As life often does, he had not had as much practice time as he would have liked, but with GLLI coming up, I saw a great opportunity to not only get him a good amount of string stretchin time, but an opportunity for him to see first hand the magnificent family the Michigan Longbow Association is, as well as all of the events, competitions, and the great camping atmosphere. We shot 2 of the 3 30 target courses, and after the first few targets, ol LongHair was dialing it in. Im pretty sure that you wouldnt get the smile off his face with a wire brush. , The MLA holds 2 shoots a year, the Spring Shoot and membership meeting in May which does require MLA membership, and the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational in August. Both are family friendly, fantastic events. The spring shoot is held at Land O Lakes Archers in Fenton, the GLLI is held at CHarleton Park Historical Village in Hastings. The GLLI is the largest longbow only shoot in the country. And it is a great time. It runs 3 days, and I wish it was for an entire week. Its that good.

Im happy to see LongHair enjoying learning the longbow way. We had such a great time shooting. NExt year Dave, you gotta plan on camping as well.

17-Aug-17

It was a blast. Even when I didnt make the shot. :)

17-Aug-17
IMO, Michigan is the last stronghold for stickbow archery. I attended this shoot multiple times over the years, great event.

• Sitka Gear