SlipShot 21-Aug-17
sticksender 21-Aug-17
JohnMC 21-Aug-17
coelker 22-Aug-17
Longcruise 22-Aug-17
rgwaldron 22-Aug-17
ColoBull 23-Aug-17
20-Aug-17
Hello, are walkie talkies allowed during elk season. The intent would be for safety between partners/basic communication (not coordinating maneuvers). I did some searching on the state wildlife site, but was unable to get clarification. Anyone know the laws for this? Thanks!

20-Aug-17
This is how it reads in the brochure. IT IS ALSO AGAINST THE LAW TO: 21) For two or more people on the ground, in a vehicle or vessel to use electronic devices to com- municate information that violates any wildlife law or regulation. This would indicate they are allowed but cannot be used to assist in the taking of game.

20-Aug-17
and to add what Lew provided, for all hunting seasons, "information that violates a wildlife law or regulation" means, one can not use an electronic devices to 1. direct another hunter to wildlife by means of this device or 2, or to transmit the location of wildlife to another hunter, by means of this device.

You can use an electronic device to check on a fellow hunter, to check in with camp, to relay or report an emergency, and I would expect if you have an animal down, can call your buddies to come help.

20-Aug-17
I will say this 2 weeks ago I stood beside my truck on a pull out on a major highway with a game warden that stopped when he saw me glassing and talked to a buddy over radios about sheep he was moving in on. In front of the warden for over an hour. He had no problem with it.

20-Aug-17
Well John what can we say. What I will say, he was NOT enforcing the law and should of had a problem with it. To bad.

I have spoke of this subject with the head of CPW Law Enforcement over the years and what was written above, about the use of electronic to communicate is true. I bet if you gathered 30 Colorado District Wildlife Managers, you might receive a variety of interpretations of the law from them. Seems like you were a witness to that. Paul

20-Aug-17
Is seems obvious to me. We were not communicating anything that broke any law or regulation.

To me that means for example I was on the lookout for a Game Warden coming down the road while buddies Road hunted. Then warned them over radio if a game warden was headed their way .

20-Aug-17
I've got a tv show recorded from 2016 that shows the guys using radios on their first rifle season telling each other where the bull is. Also shows my truck and trailer at the trailhead, which, according to the host, going in 8 miles puts them far into unit 76!!

20-Aug-17
The CPW guy didn't care about you communicating because its not illegal. Its only illegal to use them to communicate regarding illegal activities or to direct hunters from an aircraft.

Its legal to call your buddy and tell him the elk are one clearing lower than where he popped out on the hill. Its illegal if you tell him to shoot two and put your tag on it.

20-Aug-17
Glunt you must be wrong because Paul said so....

20-Aug-17
Glunt you must be wrong because Paul said so....

20-Aug-17
Paul is a lot smarter than me and knows a lot more CPW guys. I have zero doubt he has been told it is illegal by people who should know. But, I am certain it is legal as long as nothing illegal is being discussed and its not from an aircraft directing hunters.

20-Aug-17
Paul and others, we go over this every year. It is NOT illegal in Colorado to use radios to communicate to another hunter to the animal, or where and animal was seen, unless the individuals are breaking a game law at the time the radio's are being used, as Glunt mentioned. This is done ALL the time when chasing Mnt. lions by outfitters, unless the hunter requests other wise.

I went through this last year with a bear hunter who harvested by use of radios to guide him to a bear, after all said and done ( going to the CPW office in Denver to clear this up) it wasn't illegal to use, BUT, the bear could not be entered into the B&C books due to fair chase rules of B&C, this rule also applies to Mnt. Lion. On the other hand there is a contradiction in the use of electronics in the regs., one can not use a trail camera that has wifi/cell phone capability's to notify the user of real time, letting the hunter know that the animal is currently at/near the game camera. I know Paul you have talked to the head law enforcement at CPW, but after sitting down and going over this with three of the head law enforcement personnel concerning this individual it was determined it was not illegal to use radios.

21-Aug-17
You guys are correct and I am wrong. A senior moment for sure. Sorry. I going elk hunting. my best, Paul P/S, How if I can just remember where I put my bow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam, must be getting older and then is a fact.

21-Aug-17
I should have stated can not be used in the assistance of illegal taking of game. Good luck on your hunts!

21-Aug-17
Paul, Your right about one thing about CPW, sometimes you will get a different answer from each individual on interpretation of the law such as the case with radios, flagging, if it isn't worded exactly. By the way Paul give us your coordinates to your hunting spots just in case you forget where you are,LOL. Best of luck hunting to you and everyone else!!

21-Aug-17
We carry radio with us all the time. For the most part we only turn them on when it has been several hours after dark and not everyone has returned to camp. Most years they never get turned on.

21-Aug-17
It's a really strangely worded rule. I suppose one could also say: "It is illegal to walk in the forest while breaking a wildlife law". Sort of redundant. But I have to assume that the intent for this rule must have been to allow the authorities to nail poachers for an additional tack-on violation. Perhaps historically they've been prone to using radios in perpetrating wildlife crimes?

21-Aug-17
I wouldt assume it's to be able to prosecute the person trying helping the person that violating the law not get caught over the radio.

22-Aug-17
Intent is to give the CPW one more charge when a wildlife violation occurs. I really hate that we can use radios in such manner, it just does not seem to meet the fair chase ideals. On the flip side I am not sure how exactly you could monitor and make it work.

22-Aug-17
It would be worthwhile to check the actual statute. They often differ from the brochure. And, if you break a law but are technically correct based on the brochure a hard ass judge could tell you that you are required to know the law and drop the gavel on you.

22-Aug-17

rgwaldron's Link
I have never reviewed the actual statues and was curious so I searched for and found them at the included link. I've always just relied on the hunting brochure, but Longcruise is probably right. If anyone else is interested they are pretty interesting. Look under Title 33.

23-Aug-17
Many years ago I hunted with a group that was using "code" with walkies to set up drives. They warned that the warden was monitoring conversations, so be careful what you say. Two hunters would push down a ridge as two came up, with "shooters" positioned midway. "Everybody in position? GO." I had put a lot into the trip, so I went along - just turned the walkie off and hunted like usual - knowing there are hunters pushing elk around - like almost everywhere, every year. They didn't get caught that year, but I heard that the next year many of them got fined for failure to immediately tag their kills. I suspect the warden was gunning for them. He heard them communicating their successes and dropped right in on them. 'Ticketed everyone he could. Serves them right, if you ask me. I didn't go with them (ever) again - I thought it was unethical, and they got what they deserved. As for using one to communicate location and any emergency - that seems to be common sense. Otherwise, be prepared to reap what you sow.

• Sitka Gear