elkmtngear 28-Aug-17
wild1 29-Aug-17
LB_Resen 29-Aug-17
wild1 30-Aug-17
IdyllwildArcher 20-Sep-17
22-Aug-17

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
I might have to give up this DIY solo bear hunting - this one about killed me. Took me almost nine hours to get this beast back to my truck - not to mention, trying to find a game warden, skinning, transport....... you get the idea. One long, difficult day/evening. The good news: a great coat with no rubs at all - and I lost 4lbs. during the ordeal.

22-Aug-17

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
More good news, virtually no tracking - found some blood, looked up and it was piled up no more than 35 yards away.

27-Aug-17
Well done Gary! Bears get real big when they're dead. The moment you lift the head up you go "Oh Crap"! A big one is worse than an elk. Elk can be broke down easier and you don't have to deal with 100+ pound head and greasy hide. They also don't keep as well when it's warm. You Earn a Big Bear and he's a dandy.

28-Aug-17
Thanks DL, you pretty much summed it up nicely!

28-Aug-17
Nice one, Gary.

Been there and done that, many years ago when I was still young and virile. Thought I could drag it off the mountain solo, lol. Big old boar, probably pushing 400#. Had to sprint off the mountain, drive back to town, grab a couple of buddies with ropes and flashlights...and finally got it to the truck.

Choking that bear meat down for a Year, made me think it might not quite be worth it...haven't shot one since. Hope you were able to get it cooled down quickly anyway!

Congrats!

Jeff

29-Aug-17
Thanks Jeff. We'll soon find out about the meat, been lucky so far. I did my best to get it skinned, cooled down and off the mountain, we shall see soon enough.

Good luck this fall fellas!

29-Aug-17
I'm new to hunting and find you 2, Jeff and Gary, very helpful with your posts. I'm from San Diego and just started doing my due diligent research for a backpacking elk hunt next year. Probably get my bow in couple months and little by little pick up everything else during next year. Right now I'm getting in shape. I'm also trying to learn scouting here on weekends (started last weekend) by looking for local deer here. looking forward to more knowledge from you guys!

30-Aug-17
Keith -

PM sent.

20-Sep-17
GJ Gary! Another one down!

• Sitka Gear