JRABQ 13-Sep-17
06-Sep-17

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Marvin Zieser's 262 Gross (green score) Non-typical
Marvin Zieser's 262 Gross (green score) Non-typical
It took a few days to catch-up on things after my return, but I'm finally finding the time to post this on the Bowsite Arizona forum for those that haven't seen it: I can't describe how happy I am with the Muley buck I was able to take this past week in Arizona on public land. He is an 11 x 8 with a 220+ main frame, 37 inch spread, 30-inch main beams, and he grosses (green) about 262 P&Y!

It is the buck I was after, and I spent seven days hunting specifically for him before finally taking the buck of my lifetime! Many hunters and guides had known of him over the past four years, and he had become a bit of a legend as I understand, having been hunted hard on public ground by bowhunters, rifle hunters and even statewide Raffle and Commissioner Tag holders over the past few years. However, I don’t believe any hunter had ever actually seen him in person (only an occasional trail cam pic, often at night, and his sheds had occasionally been found).

The first person to find the buck, four years ago, was a guide named Tory Brock. Over the past few years he had guided several hunters and at least one auction hunter in hopes of taking the buck, but nobody had managed to even see him. Tory helped me scout for the buck (even though he had never actually seen him in person either). Together we made the decision that I would hunt for him exclusively and on my own for the first half of the season. Then if I couldn’t manage to take him hunting solo, Tory would hunt with me the last 10 days of the season. After telling me the buck’s history as he knew it over the past four years, and sharing some trail camera pics with me, I hunted hard for seven days before finally locating him and sending a perfect shot into his chest (yes with a Rage Hypodermic)! He didn’t go far, and when I walked up to him for the first time he looked SO MUCH BIGGER than I expected. Because his body is so unbelievably huge, his antlers don’t look nearly as big in photos as they do in person. It was the exact opposite of ground shrinkage, and I was thrilled beyond words and thankful when I walked up to him for the first time and saw how truly giant he was! The wealthy auction hunters and raffle hunters, that are permitted to hunt year-round and statewide in Arizona, normally kill these sized bucks before the regular hunting season opens each year. It was nice to see one slip by them and go to a bowhunter that just drew the tag for the regular 21-day season in the random drawing for a change. It took me 13 years to draw this tag, but hopefully I’ll get luckier and not have to wait that long to go again!!

Marvin

06-Sep-17
Marvin, congratulations! That is truly an amazing animal. You always seem to get it done! That is the most incredible animal I have seen a photo of! You'll be walking around with a smile for a long time!

06-Sep-17
Thanks Dave. The photos don't even come close to doing him justice. Since his body is so ridiculously big, it doesn't truly show how massive and wide they really are.

06-Sep-17
I cannot stop looking at him. Congrats again. Ed F

07-Sep-17
what a beast. congratulation's!

07-Sep-17
Wow! Incredible! Congrats! That's such an amazing animal

07-Sep-17
Congrats Marvin,Truly a great buck!

07-Sep-17
Incredible buck Marvin! Congrats to you! How in the world did you find him?? Are you planning on entering it? Top five of all time I believe......

07-Sep-17
Thanks Chris. I was fortunate to get a midnight trail camera picture of him, in the large area I was monitoring (as his past historical range that Tory shared with me), but not exactly where I was concentrating until after I saw the photo. It still took another week after changing my target area before we finally crossed paths.

As far as entering him, I will definitely enter him in Arizona's bowhunting records, but I'm leaning away from entering him to any other programs due to the fact that I'm not sure I'm willing to strip the velvet in order to do so...

08-Sep-17
Awesome. I'm sure you'll be on cloud nine for a while! Rightfully so.

08-Sep-17
All I can say is WOW!!! Congrats on a tremendous trophy! I don't know if I could hold it together if I seen a buck like that in front of me!

13-Sep-17
Holey Moley!

• Sitka Gear