Burly 11-Sep-17
Wibowhunter25 11-Sep-17
Bows the way 12-Sep-17
Burly 12-Sep-17
Wibowhunter25 12-Sep-17
Burly 12-Sep-17
ground hunter 15-Sep-17
10-Sep-17
Hi everyone, I'm planning on doing a diy whitetail hunt this year on public land. Looking at the Delta area but still looking into other public land. I'm not looking at finding your hot spot or anything but wanting just to talk to someone that has hunted it before. Wanting to know what kind of terrain there is? Ridges? Flat?.. also I'm planning on getting there November 12th bow hunting for a few days and hunting there first few days of the rifle season. Any information would be great!! Thanks everyone

10-Sep-17
Also what kind of food sources are you looking for? How's the hunting pressure on opening day of gun season? About how many deer can you see on the opener?

11-Sep-17
I don't know much about Delta county because I drive threw it to get to the western end of the Yoop. It looks like mixed farmland and swamps. Some mighty big bucks have been taken there in the past. But then again the whole UP has kicked out it share. More in the past but there are still a few running around. We are still recovering from some wicked winters a few years ago.

11-Sep-17
I was thinking about hunting the west side of Michigan just because it would be a closer drive. Was thinking about the ottowa national Forest

12-Sep-17
I just hunt schoolcraft can't help you good luck though

12-Sep-17
I hunt in several different county's, Baraga,Houghton,Gogibec and Iron. Iron being my favorite for seeing deer. It depends on what you want in a hunt, remote rugged areas ? Then Houghton , Gogibec and Baraga get the nod. You can hunt some beautiful country there. Iron County does have places like that ,but gets more hunting pressure. Plus has more deer. If I had to pick where to relocate my camp again tho. It probably would be over toward Menonomiee county. Less winter kill, less wolves, more deer but more hunters.

12-Sep-17
Thanks for the info Burly!

12-Sep-17
No problem, good luck. Let us know how you do.

15-Sep-17
I agree with Burly, but my house is in western Iron Co. I am in the Ottawa National Forest and I would say the colors right now are already at 30 percent. there are more deer in Iron Co, and most hunters are close to Iron River and Crystal Falls, since the deer are closer to town in many cases.......

I do not hunt near town, but about 75 percent of that forest is marginal deer area, but there is some good spots,,,,,, water drainages are the key,,,,, I am seeing a lot of deer,,,,

as for big bucks, well to me I would say that would be Octonogan and the Kee na waw peninsula..... although lot of private land on the peninsula, there is a lot of CFA land, and pressure is not that heavy........ Private land would be Houghton area,,,,,,

I have not interest in Menomonee co, but Burly is right,,,,,, last year I had not seen a deer in 2 days, but new the spot was prime, and here he comes on the 3rd day,,,, ML season, cold and quiet, that shot, I think sounded like the sound barrier was broken,,,,, ha ha.....

I like the quality of the hunt, compared to the quantity of deer seen....... my grouse travels put me on the deer,,,,, wolves influence their movements a lot,

good luck

• Sitka Gear