Seahorse 15-Sep-17
Longcruise 15-Sep-17
Destroyer350 15-Sep-17
Glunt@work 15-Sep-17
jlmatthew 15-Sep-17
jlmatthew 15-Sep-17
ZachinCO 20-Sep-17
15-Sep-17
I always read that the Division of Wildlife ended each year with over a million dollars in the black. The Parks Department always finished each year seriously in the red. Then the two joined forces (CPW), despite our protests. Now, just a few years later, we're getting emails stating, "Public meeting on funding issues facing CPW."

Hmm. Who could have seen this coming?

15-Sep-17
It's something that needs to be looked at continuously, IMO

OTOH, the legislature refused to allow increases in the cost of tags which primarily funds the department so there is that!

15-Sep-17
It's probably from the 10+ extra officers they have to hire to check for aquatic nuisances at each lake.

15-Sep-17
Yes they are in a budget crunch. The CPW feels it's due to low revenues vs required spending. Many of the public believe its due to too much spending or inefficient use of funds. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

They failed on their rate increase because it was a big hike and people aren't convinced the budget is too small or that spending is efficient.

In my view, hunting opportunities have diminished over the last 20 years. Access, crowding, increased regulation, point creep, adding rifle seasons during archery, etc. Not all of that is the fault of the CPW but its hard to convince people to pay more when they feel they are getting less.

15-Sep-17
There is no budget shortage. Listen to the Sept commission meeting, they made a $10.7 million profit last year, are sitting on more than $17 million in cash (non habitat stamp money) and are now worried that they won't get their fee increase bill because they have too much money on hand

15-Sep-17

20-Sep-17
"There is no budget shortage. Listen to the Sept commission meeting, they made a $10.7 million profit last year, are sitting on more than $17 million in cash (non habitat stamp money) and are now worried that they won't get their fee increase bill because they have too much money on hand"

I hate it when the books don't lie...

• Sitka Gear