Bigjay73 19-Sep-17
squirrel 20-Sep-17
Aspen Ghost 20-Sep-17
GF 21-Sep-17
Quinn @work 21-Sep-17
hydro psyche 21-Sep-17
15-Sep-17
Hey guys,

I'll post a detailed report about my first solo elk trip when I'm back, but first an odd question...I'm in an area not very far from Steamboat, and it's loaded with bulls. I didn't connect today, but have tomorrow and Sunday. This is an area that is extremely thick with cover and just a general pain to get around in, but not that far of a hike in...a mile and a half maybe. My back and legs ache from the last four days, and I'm looking for any willing and able bodied folks near Steamboat that might help pack out more quickly. Probably a few hours of work for two guys...I offer financial compensation and knowledge of this location that I got from a very generous local that saw I was in a bind after getting pushed out of my original area with snow in the forecast...I was 8 miles off a rutted and nasty forest service road that was sketchy when it was dry. To elaborate on location, I was woken up at 4a today to a bull screaming within 100 yards, then heard many more from the surrounding area. Focused on one that I hope is in the same area tomorrow. Any help is appreciated...also, horses probably wouldn't get in there, so a packer is not an option.

By the way...it's been an awesome trip so far.

15-Sep-17
Sounds like a honey hole! Hope you connect. FYI, only people licensed by the Forest Service (assuming you are on USFS) would be able to receive payment for helping you pack out. That basically means outfitters with a permit in that area.

15-Sep-17
Then how about a nice steak dinner lol ;)

15-Sep-17
Sounds like a great way burn an area that guys work a lifetime to find. If you want to PM the general area I might be able to offer an alternative...assuming it's close. Not looking for info on your spot and not offering help packing. Lol!

16-Sep-17
Good luck, and do whatever you can to keep this place to yourself. Otherwise, you may return next year to find it over crowded with hunters and no elk.

16-Sep-17
Glunt, does the licensing also apply to folks getting paid to pack on foot as well as on horseback? Guess I never considered it to go further than that...

16-Sep-17
Yes Forest circus what's their money

17-Sep-17
I hope you find help, but if you don't, you shouldn't take the shot. If you get in a bind, it is a felony to let any meat go bad. Once the shot is taken it is your responsibility. Just sayin'

17-Sep-17
Of course he just committed a felony by offering to pay, what's one more?? Don't worry buddy they never enforce that end of it but solicitation of the felony is the same in CO (or at least it was just a couple years ago I haven't read up on it lately) Just be aware of the law before you do these things.

19-Sep-17
I didn't realize it was illegal for me to offer a few bucks to someone for lending a hand...now I know for next time.

19-Sep-17
Just remember, someone else hooked you up with that spot. You bring someone else in there, and next year him and all his buddies will be hunting that spot. So now the spot is ruined for you AND the guy who told you about it. Just food for thought

20-Sep-17
And you can make book on that!! Don't sweat your criminal inclinations buddy. I probably have 20 people/ year try to buy my "free meat". They only enforce the other side of the equation. The guy who ends up with a dollar in his pocket...

20-Sep-17
It's cool enough now to hang it and grunt it out on your own. Don't let anyone else know about that spot or it will be crowded very quickly.

21-Sep-17
+1 for keeping it on the down-low

That's not your spot to share.

21-Sep-17
OK hydro psyche did you get back there and kill a bull? I bet they moved on. Hopefully you stayed on them and didn't worry about a bowsite packer. When you find a rut craze like that you have to make it happen then because in 24 hours it could shut off like it never happened. Let's hear it.

21-Sep-17
I posted the summary of my week in another thread, but in short, I didn't kill a bull. I kept at them, packer or not, but it wasn't meant to be.

• Sitka Gear