DozRdeer2 28-Sep-17
Franzen 29-Sep-17
Edge Hunter 03-Oct-17
Lynn Wilcox 03-Oct-17
Edge Hunter 04-Oct-17
Lynn Wilcox 04-Oct-17
Lynn Wilcox 04-Oct-17
26-Sep-17
With the current drought hitting a lot of the midwest, does anyone have any first hand encounters with suspect EHD cases? Please no hearsay, just factual evidence. I'm extremely worried since we've only had .25" of rain in the last month here in Bureau County. Spoke with my local CPO last week and he hadn't heard of any cases. As of early september i still had most known bucks showing up on camera.

26-Sep-17
I've been out scouting and haven't come across any carcasses yet. Many ponds and sloughs are rock hard dirt and creeks are dried up. Looks like mother nature is going to throw us a bone and we will get some rain and a nice cold front for the opener. Best of luck to all and keep it safe!

26-Sep-17
we need an early hard frost or two

26-Sep-17
As of early September, there had been only 6 calls reporting possible EHD deaths, statewide. Biologists were to report all of their citizen reports of suspected EHD by the end of this month. I had a single report of 2 dead deer from Fulton County. We should know more by the end of next week. Tom

27-Sep-17
To-date, 26 dead deer have been reported by citizens from 11 Illinois counties -- according to a news release which goes out today. Tom

28-Sep-17
Thank you. Anything from Bureau/Putnam/LaSalle counties?

28-Sep-17
Nothing reported from those three counties ... so far. The news release will generate more reports, and figures will likely be updated at the end of each month until a hard frost kills the insect vector. Tom

29-Sep-17
Surprisingly I've heard nothing. Seems like it would be somewhat prevalent this year. I don't get a lot of time to get in the woods to investigate myself (til season maybe). Having said that, the population where I do a lot of hunting just isn't really all that high such that you would take notice. If you have 50 deer per sq. mile and 20 die, odds are that won't go unnoticed. If you have 15 and 6 die, well that could easily fly under the radar.

03-Oct-17
We found a dead 9 point buck in the middle of a bean field Sunday in Wabash county. He had been there for a few days. I did not do an autopsy, but he was a casualty of hunting.

03-Oct-17
"We found a dead 9 point buck in the middle of a bean field Sunday"..... "was a casualty of hunting."..... "He had been there for a few days"

Wasn't Sunday opening day ???

04-Oct-17
Hey Lynn, I left out the word "not" . "... not a casualty of hunting." That makes a big difference. Proof reading is not my strong suit. If I thought it, I see it.

04-Oct-17
Ahhh....that sounds better......8^)

04-Oct-17
Ahhh....that sounds better......8^)

• Sitka Gear