Cornell University hunting property
New York
Contributors to this thread:
Arrownocker82 26-Sep-17
Petcontain 26-Sep-17
Arrownocker82 01-Oct-17
Al Dente Laptop 28-Jun-22
26-Sep-17
Have any of you gentlemen every applied to hunt on the Cornell University's property ? I was thinking about it for something different but it's about an hour from me. And if I'm going to invest in the time and money I'm wondering if it's worth it? They claim to have a decent deer population, and some really decent bucks. Though there is a lot of hoops you have to jump through to get access for the properties. If you don't want to post publicly shoot me a private message. Much appreciated

26-Sep-17
This was posted here 9/11/17 I think might be of interest to you. It is posted as Cornell hunting opportunities.

Hi Guys, I've wanted to write this topic for a while. If anyone is looking for great public land opportunities please look into the Cornell University Botanical Gardens deer management program. They have designated campus lands around Ithaca as permitted hunting land for the public. You need to apply through the website below, take a test, pass a background check and then they'll email you the permit. The sites are regulated by numbers of hunters per day and there is a reservation site, which I think is a good thing, it's never crowded. Almost all the properties fall within the DMFA zone, you can also sign up for and that grants you two doe permits every day of the season. I wanted to get this program out there and encourage you all to take advantage of it because they had to cut down on the number of properties due to low hunter contributions. It is all free and they only ask for voluntary donations (I wish Cornell would just pay the bill but oh well at least they let us hunt their land!). The deer population in Tompkins County is VERY STRONG. There are plenty of big bucks too. Some of the properties are BOW HUNTING ONLY as well. I can help point you guys in the right direction too once you pick up the permit! Hope some of you will take advantage of the program! http://www.cornellbotanicgardens.org/our-gardens/natural-areas/stewardship/deer

01-Oct-17
Thank You

28-Jun-22
I tried in vain several years to get a controlled bowhunting program started there. I spent several weeks, and countless hours putting a plan together, sent it off to Cornell and the DEC, all to no avail. It was modelled after NYB's Urban Deer Management Program which has been a success in the Towns of Erwin and Irondeqouit. I gave up after running into too many brick walls. I think it would easier to tour Fort Knox!!!!

• Sitka Gear