bbackowies 29-Sep-17
8pointer 30-Sep-17
bbackowies 30-Sep-17
Jaquomo 01-Oct-17
8pointer 01-Oct-17
bcoufal 01-Oct-17
Jaquomo 01-Oct-17
29-Sep-17
hello all. big into bowhunting, but now that I have not tagged out I am getting antsy for rifle season. Traditionally rifle hunting I've hunted unit 161 North of Walden and have always gotten into animals but not gotten anything. This year I'm thinking of switching it up and going to Unit 17 I have done some online research as well as trying to contact game wardens to get any little tips for some success. I am not after big bulls or anything cows would be great I am just wondering what is everybody else's experience and Unit 17. I am sure it is a tough area to hunt being an over-the-counter unit so I'm not expecting anything easy. Thank you in advance

30-Sep-17
I don't are archery or rifle hunt Unit 17 for Elk or deer. I was up there this year with my cow Moose tag and the place was crawling with hunters. If it's like that in rifle season I would not want anything to do with the place. Our lovely government closed off all the roads up there, Bush and Obama, and what the hunters were doing was parking at each old closed road and then just walking the old roads which are in great condition. Two bulls were killed around the time I was there. I saw some out of state hunters who had absolutely no clue about elk hunting. It was quite humorous.

30-Sep-17
I read one other review similar to that....all otc units will be pressured good. but some will be significantly worse. maybe I'll look into 171 as well

01-Oct-17
17 is a big problem because by rifle season the huge majority of elk are pushed onto the big ranches down low. Hundreds of them on each ranch. I would never rifle hunt there, even with a cow tag, unless I was on one of the ranches (used to guide rifle hunters on two of the big ranches...)

01-Oct-17
How much is a trespass cow hunt in 17?

01-Oct-17
Not going to have much luck in trespass cow hunt. Most of the ranches are leased by outfitters

01-Oct-17
I know a place in that used to do trespass fee cow hunts for $1500 in 4th season. Not sure if they still do since it changed hands. Every other ranch I know in 17 is outfitted.

FWIW, I've hunted 17 and 16 since the early 70s and know the area intimately. Last year I did a leftover rifle cow hunt in first season, even had snow, and did not see a cow on public land during those five days. One guy camped down the road - lots of camps - shot a calf about 50 yards from a ranch boundary.

• Sitka Gear