Lee 03-Oct-17
Dusktildawn 03-Oct-17
Bryan 03-Oct-17
JRW 04-Oct-17
LBshooter 08-Nov-17
loose arrow 12-Nov-17
awh302 12-Nov-17
02-Oct-17
I know this comes inherently with public land but if you are afraid of the dark, you might need a new hobby. This morning I was all set up and out of nowhere it was like a freaking lightshow started. Someone was just shining lights all over, maybe to help find their stand, a red lens works great, I can only assume this person was afraid of the dark and was comforted by the light! Needless to say after all the light and wandering by the other guy nothing was seen, I cannot be the only one this happened to over the last 2 days. If anyone has info on the Boogeyman please spread it so our easily spooked fellow hunters stop putting on lightshows in the woods.

02-Oct-17
If hunting in Illinois on public land you better get used to the light shows. Wait until same guys tromp out of the woods with 30 minutes of safe light left (my favorite part of the day) and the guys who are "Deer Stalkers" wearing their oil covered work clothes. Or the guy who sets up within 50 yds of where you are hunting. I understand we all have a right to hunt the same public land, but some guys really cross the line. Best of luck.

03-Oct-17
Maybe the other person got lost? I know it has happened to me when I attempted to get into a pre-scouted spot in early season with all the foliage. I often times don't use a light, but in the woods with a lot of foliage there is no chance you'll find your set quickly, unless you have night vision. Having said that, I myself have cringed many times seeing people using WAY more light than one needs to.

03-Oct-17
Sorry, double post.

03-Oct-17
I've seen many guys get down at prime time to hoof it back to the vehicle before dark. I have little doubt they are afraid of the dark.

Lee

03-Oct-17
Didn't say they are afraid of the dark, more like passing on prime time hunting. Free to do as they please just frustrating when they tromp right past your tree. Always tomorrow.

03-Oct-17
I have been lost also, mostly just wanted to spark a little conversation on this page. In the end like Dusktildawn said- it is public. Hope everyone has a good, productive, and most importantly safe season.

04-Oct-17
When you hunt public land, don't be surprised when you see the public.

08-Nov-17
JRW x2 , go find private land to hunt or lease. If your unable to do that then your in the same boat as others hunting public. Guys using lights tend not to know the area or are afraid of tripping and falling and hurting themselves. There are areas on public land that you can hike to where most hunters won't go, so I suggest you find those spots and walk to them. If your running into other hunters on public land your hunting to close to the parking area, what are you afraid of, the boogieman? ;)

12-Nov-17
May be some validity to this, I was on public land in Oregon IL last night and when I arrived there was only one truck in the lot. The thing that goes through my mind is, "I hope I don't end up near them." I went and sat down, put on my ghillie. The time to stop was 5:10 pm, yep, you guessed, I heard voices at 4:50 pm and along comes two guys walking right in front of me. One waves and the other asks if I have seen anything, I reply, "I won't now!" No need for a flashlight when there is enough light left.

12-Nov-17
Hunting public property can be rewarding and suck at the same time. I dealt with the public land deal for a few years when I decided to buy my own property. I still will try for a muzzle loader tag at a public spot near my house.

I know hunted public land can suck at times but there are always other options if you do not like it.

• Sitka Gear