BIG BEAR 08-Oct-17
Bows the way 08-Oct-17
Factory rat 09-Oct-17
Ollie 09-Oct-17
Bows the way 09-Oct-17
CPD5899 10-Oct-17
Bows the way 10-Oct-17
06-Oct-17
So, I'm just a 38 year old dumb cop from Chicago looking to get into hunting. I hunted twice while I was a Marine Corps recruiter stationed in Harrisburg, PA. Besides that, I have pretty much no experience. I have two boys under 5 who I would love to take hunting when the time is right. (This almost sounds like a personal ad)

Anyway, I am looking at purchasing some land and was hoping for a little guidance...

I'm looking at purchasing around 40 acres (i know its not a huge amount of land but land ain't cheap. LOL) . I'm hoping to clear about an acre or two for a small cabin, play in the remaining 40 during the spring and summer and hunt during the fall. I was originally looking at the UP. My concern with that, is after looking at the success rate in the UP via their DNR, and also the absence of doe tags (I know its all about the bucks, but for me, its also about the meat at the same time) I'm worried that, A) I'd come up dry more times than not, and B) when my sons are younger, they will either get bored with the lack of Bucks to shoot, or C) they will get bored of not being able to shoot anything (hence why I would like an area with doe tags).

I have started looking for the same size land in central WI. As you know the price of land there is about twice what it is in the UP. With all that being said (I know its such a long email, and if you took the time to read it all I truly aprecaite it), if you were looking at purchasing 40 acres, build small cabin/play/hunt and still have kids be able to have sucessfull hunt (regardless of doe or buck) which direction would you go? Also, from reading ur site and watching ur videos, I know for the most part what to look for, but is there anything I should stay away from, ie. mostly low lands, all agg lands with minimal forest?

Again, thanks for reading this if you made it all the way through and I hope to hear from someone soon.

06-Oct-17
My $0.02. I hunted the UP in Menominee for 8 years and saw more deer than I ever saw over a season in WI. Both my daughter and son killed their first deer there and had lots of success. There are lots of doe tags available in Menominee.

I bought land 3 years ago in Delta County due to the price compared to WI. Yes, the land sucks (cedar swamp for the most part) but it does hold lots of deer and it holds bears. I've been able to get some land cleared and food plots put in and they have attracted more deer. My son and I are rarely shut out sightings wise per sit. He's killed 4 deer (2 bucks and 2 does) in the 2 years and could have killed many others. I have passed on killing any because we don't need that many deer. There are lots of doe tags in my DMU in Delta County. We buy them over the counter.

The UP, in my experience and where I have hunted, is not loaded with trophy size bucks. We are not trophy hunters so that has not mattered to us.

I think you will find the price per acre in central WI to be far more than most places in the eastern UP. For example, I paid $100k for 90 acres and a 4 year old cabin (24' x 30' with an upstairs, electric, no water). Most land in WI goes at least $2k per acre unless you are way north with the wolves and reduced deer herd.

08-Oct-17
I would look at Mennomiee county. It has everything a fella could ask for. Good deer numbers, big bucks and great fishing. Plus its in the Yoop.

08-Oct-17
If you look in the UP,,, Focus on the southern area where doe permits are still available....... Good luck with your search and thank you sir for your service in Chicago...... A very tough place to be a Police Officer. I've been a Police Officer for 23 years in a suburb just north of Detroit..... but I'm sure you guys see more in a year than I will in a career.....Thank you.

08-Oct-17

Bows the way's embedded Photo
Bows the way's embedded Photo
I bought UP land for price and privacy. I killed a buck my frist year. I bought 50 acres or around there yes i have land lost to swamp bit i paid 300 an acre.

09-Oct-17
I would agree with what others have said focus on the southern portion of u.p. I would look at agg areas if I were looking for deer high deer numbers. I think you could find a 40 with a camp on it already on it. I built my own camp in the u.p. it's a ton of work!

09-Oct-17
I know you said you were interested in Michigan, but you may want to also consider northern Missouri and/or Kentucky. Good deer hunting and reasonably priced land.

09-Oct-17
Yes but the southern area deer numbers depend on the winter. The past weak winters the north held some descent deer numbers during the winter. So the deer migration wasnt as big. Wouldn't you agree as long as your south of M28. I know thats not typical but once global warming gets here the deer migration will stop.

10-Oct-17
wait... i thought global warming was already here... there shouldn't be any more harsh winters.... LOL

10-Oct-17
Did you get the pm's i sent you

• Sitka Gear