Contributors to this thread:
DB999 10-Oct-17
Jaquomo 10-Oct-17
Mathewsshootr2 10-Oct-17
PECO 10-Oct-17
PECO 10-Oct-17
DB999 10-Oct-17
10-Oct-17
I wanted to reach out to the bowsite community to see if anyone knew of any job opportunities or companies hiring engineers within the outdoor industry - specifically hunting and fishing. I have found a couple of companies online; unfortunately I have no connections with any of them and have all but worn out their online application process. With a mechanical engineering degree, I've always wanted to design for the hunting and fishing industries. Offered a job within the medical industry, my “I’ll just get 2 years of development experience”, turned into 4 years now. Although designing and manufacturing surgical equipment is extremely rewarding, I am getting to a point where I know if I want a career in outdoor products, I need to start now.

I am not opposed to leaving Colorado but with a young family, and as many of you may know, Colorado is great - I’d prefer to stay here. I can provide a list of references, resume, and anything else upon request; I am just having a difficult time finding many companies in the area that design and manufacture outdoor products.

Any information or connections to speak with would be greatly appreciated, shoot me a PM and I’ll give you anything you need…and it may have a few packages of moose backstraps in it for you! Happy Hunting

Danny

10-Oct-17
Go to the big shows like SHOT, etc.. Target some companies ahead of time and do your homework to get a meeting (set up ahead of time) with the most senior person there from the target companies. Then sell yourself and your abilities, what added value you can bring to make them a better company. Tell them how your skill set and experience will translate into designing for their specific product sets. Learn as much about the companies and their staff as possible. Call them and talk with someone in R&D to find out how their processes work, what their challenges are, and address them and how you'll make them better to whomever you meet with.

You'll have about 5 minutes in the meeting to pique their interest. We call it an "elevator pitch". Best of luck and don't give up! Word of warning: expect to make less $ than in the medical instrument field. Especially at entry level where they're essentially teaching you on the job.

10-Oct-17
Sure shoot a moose and leave

10-Oct-17
Stay with your current company. Design and make something in your garage. Be your own company!

10-Oct-17
Stay with your current company. Design and make something in your garage. Be your own company!

10-Oct-17
Thanks guys, good idea Lou, I've worked on my pitch and that may be the way to get in front of some of the right people. And would love to stay here Brandon, but can't draw that in state moose anymore so that may be the reason im open to moving! Ha... and thanks Pete, seriously considered that...

• Sitka Gear