Phil Magistro 15-Oct-17
RC 16-Oct-17
BSKED (mobile) 16-Oct-17
Bourbonator 16-Oct-17
RC 17-Oct-17
PaLongshank 19-Oct-17
Teeton 19-Oct-17
15-Oct-17
I hunt the typical PA farm land that has wooded areas with acorns surrounded by fields with corn, soybean and alfalfa/clover. Is there anything I can plant in a food plot that will be more appealing to the deer than what is already available to them, especially to draw in the doe as the rut approaches

15-Oct-17
No.

Don't farm em. Hunt em.

15-Oct-17

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
I stink at hunting em, so I'm gonna grow some!! Lol...Jeff, you crack me up!! Hopefully these turnips. Started a sample size plot of turnips this year....hoping the deer show some interest in the late season. I'll let you know how it works out...

15-Oct-17
Are you the landowner? If so, then think long term habitat improvement for hunting. But to answer your question, Yes...Apple Trees, Pear Trees, Persimmon trees for soft mast that are deer candy and can begin producing in 5-10 years. If you are the owner thinking generations after you or decades from now, go with a mix of hard mast trees, Dunstan Chestnuts, Various other types of yummy oaks. Think about hinge cutting trees to create thick bedding sanctuaries that will hold deer year round. If you are not the landowner and you are looking to go cheap and quick I would say go with 1/2 acre kill plots of winter rye and clover that you plant around labor day weekend and is young and green through out the bow season.

15-Oct-17
Don't waste your time Jeff:^P

15-Oct-17
Your welcome Justin:^)

15-Oct-17
Pat created a forum for this here on the bowsite - http://www.deerbuilder.com/

16-Oct-17
Buy a 50# bag of apples, 50# bag of corn, and 5 gallon of molasses. Spread all that in a 360 degree circle around your tree stand about 5 feet from the base of the tree. You will be good to go then:)

16-Oct-17
RC. I see you are giving away all your secrets.

16-Oct-17
RC, that's a great idea! Lot less work than all that plowing, discing, and seeding that's for sure. Probably more effective as well. LOL

17-Oct-17
Shot? What shot? I drop mechanical pumpkins on them out of the tree.... They open up everytime. :)

19-Oct-17

PaLongshank's embedded Photo
PaLongshank's embedded Photo
My family owns a pretty large dairy farm....SC Pa (ridge and valley land). I'm a BIG fan of Forage oats mixed with radishes/turnips. The deer absolutely hammer them....great all phases of the season. This plot is my biggest...1-2acre on big power line area. Check out meat pole thread for Monday nights result of a little hard work in July.......lol Good luck- PaLongshank

19-Oct-17
I agree with Palongshank on the oats. If you plant them about the 20th of September deer will walk right thought clover to get to them. I can get 2 inch tall oats 3 to 4 days after planting them with the right moisture.. When they get to mature the deer will stop hitting them. That's why I plant them later. This it basiclly done for a hunting plot only. I plant pretty much cheap feed grade oats. You can get oats that are a little cold hardier, cost a lot more, and are only like 3 degrees hardier. I've found that feed grade and the cold hardier oats are done growing once I get a frost. I saw no difference.

• Sitka Gear