gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Before

16-Oct-17

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
After

17-Oct-17
Looks like a good place for a micro food plot now that the area has been cleared.

17-Oct-17
Just wondering why you are clearing off? I know it’s an invasive plant and during most times of the year deer prefer other food sources. But they really hit hard over the winter months and it is a good source of crude protein. Is it just taking the area over? Just curious....

17-Oct-17
I enrolled in the golden winged warbler program. I have to clear all invasive species and only leave 10-15 trees per acre. I'm going to reseed it with native warm season grasses. It's the type of habitat the warbler needs plus it also makes prime turkey nesting area as well as fawning cover. I've got 2 more ridges infested with the bush honeysuckle so there's plenty left.

17-Oct-17
I honestly don't know the answer to this... why not burn it off and let native grasses grow back themselves rather than replant?

17-Oct-17
It's not in a place where I can safely do a controlled burn. Plus I've got to have it timbered to get it down to the 10-15 trees per acre. I've got a logger lined up that will cut and take trees for pulpwood but he doesn't want burned trees. Plus with NRCS there are a ton of regulations and I've got a private forester helping advising me and help pick right trees and shrubs to save. They want to save dogwood, wild plum, etc.

17-Oct-17
Makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

17-Oct-17
Native warm season grasses are different than the cool season grasses we are used to. Not like fescue or orchard grass where they bunch together. Big bluestem, little bluestem, Indian grass, and switch grass are non clumping grasses that grow from 2-6 ft in height and provide great cover.

17-Oct-17
Thanks for the info - very interesting!

24-Oct-17
I think what you have there is Autumn Olive and yes, it's highly invasive. I've been battling it for years. Cutting it down won't help, it'll just come back. You have to paint the stubs with chemicals to eliminate it. Southern States carries what you need. Can't remember the name right off. It's a lot of work to get rid of it, but worth it if the location of the plot you're trying to establish is good.

24-Oct-17
No, I’ve been working with a forester. That was bush honeysuckle . I’ve got some autumn olive and you can tell the difference . And yes, we have a herbicide treatment plan for the spring. It’s part of a NRCS program for the golden winged warbler. Logger is coming in a few weeks to remove trees. Can only leave 10-15 trees per acre and we’ve already marked trees to save

28-Oct-17
Did a late mid morning walk this morning and saw several golden winged warblers - wouldn’t have known it if I had not looked at this thread and then googled about them! Thank you for posting!!!

28-Oct-17
You’re welcome!

31-Oct-17
Good job managing the land !

31-Oct-17
That is nice gobbler. I want to start really managing my land. As soon as I am not working at all anymore I am going to do that. I already do some not not enough

31-Oct-17
Thanks guys!

• Sitka Gear