Don K 18-Oct-17
Reload 18-Oct-17
Reload 18-Oct-17
Lynn Wilcox 18-Oct-17
Franzen 19-Oct-17
Dusktildawn 19-Oct-17
Newhunter1 19-Oct-17
17-Oct-17
Question: I'm about to get access on some property in Illinois. The landowner (according to his friend) is asking me to hunt as much as I can and take out as many deer as possible. The land is 200 acres long and 40 acres wide...again according to his friend. He is not a hunter and his hunting family died off. ILDNR has sent him two notices that he will be charged by the state to remove the deer with their people as the deer have over-run the property--again according to the friend. If I get permission, should I kill as many does as possible? Basically, he wants it down if it is brown. I hunt for meat and horns last. Advice is appreciated. He is supposed to call me and set up a time to go to the property...basically I'll be managing it for deer control.

17-Oct-17

17-Oct-17
If you're not willing to abide by the landowners requests he will find someone else that will. Your decision to make and yours alone.

17-Oct-17
Oh...I will go and shoot anything brown and send him pictures of the dead deer. I have two archery tags and if this is legit...I'll get more as soon as I fill these.

17-Oct-17
That's a hell of alot of land for 1 hunter to thin out a heard of that magnitude! Never heard of the DNR threatening to charge a landowner because they have too many deer on their property. Sounds like a case of ' If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't! If by chance it is true I hope you enjoy what most dream of. Be safe and abide by the rules. Just curious which part of the State are we talking about?

17-Oct-17
I think I agree with you Dusk. I was approached by the new person in my building. I was talking about hunting and she asked me where I live/hunt. I told her and she told me this information. I'm starting to smell something fishy here. The land owner is supposed to contact me tonight....we shall see. Southern Illinois on the St. Louis, MO side of the state.

17-Oct-17
Best of luck Newhunter. I am not at all familiar with that part of the State. I mostly hint Northern and East Central Ill. Hopefully you atleast get in some nice hunts and a couple shots at aome decent deer. Good luck

17-Oct-17
I've got a Nigerian princess that what to send me 40 million dollars. Think both are going down the crapper. Never heard of DNR issuing an order like that.

17-Oct-17
hahahaha...such is life.

17-Oct-17
I can ATTEST that the DNR will do ANYTHING they wish when it comes to killing deer. There was a major battle in the N. Counties years ago and they damn near DESTROYED deer hunting. Actually put people out of business....in some places it has never come back.

18-Oct-17
I'll agree that it sounds too good to be true, especially seeing you could rent that amount of property out for at least $5,000. I know there are sharp shooters hired by the state to kill deer in the forest preserve and those counties with CWD. CWD has not reached that area so what they are talking about is a little strange.

18-Oct-17
I'm still trying to figure out 200 acres long x 40 acres wide?

18-Oct-17
And 5 acres high!!!!

18-Oct-17
Interesting thread. I don't know what's going on, but there is no way 1 hunter can have much of an impact unless the landowner has a nuisance permit. I've heard those are possible to acquire, but I don't know anything about them. 200 by 40 acres??

18-Oct-17
I would love to try to answer your questions, but the only way for me to properly to that is check out the property, with bow and tags in hand.... :)

18-Oct-17
Mile and a quarter long x 1/4 mile wide. 200x40

18-Oct-17
Only someone near Chicago would come up with that acreage figure!

18-Oct-17
"Mile and a quarter long x 1/4 mile wide." = 200 acres

19-Oct-17
Ok so now that we might have that settled... the DNR has no authority to charge any private individual to do what is being claimed, unless the individual agrees to have them come in and eliminate the herd for a fee. This all sounds like a bunch of non-sense, but even if you are being fed a line of bull and it winds up being a good hunt, why not? I'd still check into it.

The 200 acre long might actually make a bit of sense if it would have been a more standard parcel measurement, like a quarter section for example. If it would have been 160 acre long x 40 acre wide, I would have gotten that it was 80 acres (of course I guess that could also mean it would be 160 acres according to the methodology above). Still doesn't make sense, but I could see someone unknowingly describe it that way.

19-Oct-17
Newhunter did you ever hear back from the landowner? Curious how this story unfolds. I'm sure we all have heard of things that didn't seem to make sense, but after sorting out the facts , they are real afterall. Sure wish it would cool off. Not even a frost yet and continued warmer weather than usual predicted.

19-Oct-17
Dusk, I have texted and spoken with the lady who initially started this journey. Each and every time she states "he is working double shifts." "I haven't spoken to him..." I've given her my number, etc. I even asked her for his number, which she stated..."I have it in my purse...I'll have to get it for you." Never has given it to me....she is new to my building and I think she's blowing smoke. I asked her again and she seemed agitated that I would ask. i told her I won't ask again...if he wants me to hunt then she has my number. Personally I think she told a lie...why I do not know. Oh well...I always have public land. So with that said...I will just continue on as though I have before.

• Sitka Gear