Rut Nut 06-Nov-17
horsethief51 06-Nov-17
hawk-eye 06-Nov-17
Rut Nut 06-Nov-17
Blessed Bowhunter 06-Nov-17
RC 06-Nov-17
Rut Nut 06-Nov-17
28-Oct-17
Just one big doe grazing in the field at day break. Perfect morning until the rain started at 8:45. Scrapes are getting hit nightly around this field. The best two weeks of Bowhunting are in front of us. Don't pass up a chance in the woods even if it's just an hour. Good Luck!

28-Oct-17
Saturday Morning, young 8 point buck, two feral cats. I am after some doe.

28-Oct-17
Only deer I saw in the morning was fresh roadkill! Then from stand only thing I saw was a cat(pet ;-)

Went to different property and kicked up 2 doe at 1pm. I’m buck hunting and it’s gotta be BIG since I have all next week off! ;-)

28-Oct-17
Rained all day here at the farm so Perry's buck will make it a couple more days.

28-Oct-17
Saw an awesome young piebald buck walking down the creek at about 80 yards. Not a legal buck so it will be neat to see what he is next year if he doesn't get whacked by a car in the next month.

28-Oct-17
LOL- very COOL! : )

29-Oct-17
Sticker, you're a chick magnet. LOL

29-Oct-17
Saturday evening hunt. Two fawns came in chased by a spike buck. One fawn squat and pissed in a scrap and the spike sniffed and hung over the scrape until a young 8 point buck came to the scrape sniffed and hung. Got good video of the buck at the scrap and then he got down wind of me got alert and got out of Dodge.

29-Oct-17
Hunted Saturday morning till about 10:00 am. Had a doe come in right under my stand. She winded me, got nervous and jumped back in the thicket. Sat there for about a half hour and it started raining hard. I stood up to stretch and the doe was still there, she snorted me about 5 times as she ran off. Hate when that happens. bumped one on the way out as well.

29-Oct-17
Shot a doe Friday about 4:30, Saturday, got out early and saw one doe, out about 50 yards. Went home to watch the game

30-Oct-17
Two does in the field after 10 on the way back to the house. Very windy all morning. Still under 40 here.

30-Oct-17
got in the wrong stand tonight,I got in a stand near a food plot that's been getting hammered, didn't see a deer, hiked out near dark and there are five deer coming out of the woods under the stand where I shot the doe Friday

31-Oct-17
Nothing again today.I have been in stand a total of 18 times this season and have only seen 6 deer from stand and two while walking around.All but 5(private no deer seen) sits on public land and screwed up my only shot opportunity.Had a few deer before light around me and jumped acouple in dark going in.My batting average is poor.

31-Oct-17
Perry and I stayed out until 11. Only 1 button buck feeding near us in the thick stuff. He left the woods by crossing an open field. 3 does in the field next the house when we came back for lunch.

31-Oct-17
I'm hunting a different SGL this year and was out two mornings this week and haven't seen a thing either time. I cannot remember bowhunting in any November when we had this much green still on the trees and bushes.

31-Oct-17
I missed a bear (about 200lbs) this morning. But I don't want to talk about it. :(

31-Oct-17
I missed a bear (about 200lbs) this morning. But I don't want to talk about it. :(

31-Oct-17
Perry and I were out again this afternoon. I got the 10 point I had pictures of just before dark. I will tell you the story and post pics for Roy tomorrow.

31-Oct-17
Great evening on stand! Watched 5 doe feed in the field for 45 min. Then heard some crashing thru the woods and had 2 more doe run under my stand and out into the field. Got ready for what was chasing them and about 30 sec later comes another doe and stops at 5 y. Then made me, snorted and went out into field. But relaxed once it got in field. Then saw a big 4 pt and 3 pt that must have been chasing the doe. Watched them spar for about 10 min. Then got a text that Art got the buck he’s been after! So walked up and helped him take care of it. Hopefully tomorrow is my turn! ;-)

31-Oct-17
Saw a giant buck driving home tonight, about 700 yards from my house. Huge frame, main beams as thick as my wrist. Chasing does on a lawn. Looked like a mainframe 10, but with some extra points and kickers. Solid 150" buck. I think I know where he is bedding, and it's a ridiculously small piece of woods. May roll the dice and sneak in there one morning.

01-Nov-17

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
Got pictures of this 10 point in 2 different locations. Thought he was a nine until this series.

01-Nov-17

Here he is standing near my stand where I shot him from. Also had him in a shot the deer Kathy got.

01-Nov-17

Mine is the one in the back.

01-Nov-17

This was the final result. Would have been an easier shot in the second picture above at 15 yards. I shot him at 32 yards with a double lung pass thru. I was able to watch him leave the wood lot, cross the old pasture, do the sideways shuffle and disappear over the knoll where I knew he would be. Rut Nut would have seen him fall if it weren't for the leaves and the show he was getting. This was the first time I ever got the buck I had been targeting, and I almost did not shoot him. I have to give Rut Nut breakfast then take him to his tree for his morning set up. It's his turn today and I am putting him where there is a big old buck.

01-Nov-17

Back later for the rest of the story.

01-Nov-17
Nice Art, congrats. Best of luck, Perry.

01-Nov-17

I had been getting trail cam pics of this buck since September (dates are wrong in B & W) and put a stand up in the maple behind the apple tree in the color pic middle of the first week. First Friday in October I left that stand a little early and both Dan and I saw him enter the field from a corner just before dark. We agreed he looked big. Midday that Saturday we put a stand up to intercept him in the corner, 150 yards across a pond. I figured I had a morning spot and an evening spot. Saw lots of deer for a couple weeks out of the corner stand but never him. Kathy came home early two Fridays ago, I put her in the corner stand and she got the 8 point.

I pulled the card and reviewed trail cam pics and saw that both deer had gone past the apple tree stand the first week during afternoon shooting times and became a little confused where the heck to hunt in the afternoon. That is why Kathy was where she was. I got to watch the legs of the 8 point come around my side of the pond not knowing what he was. She saw him and grunted him around where she shot him. I put a camera in the corner to see who was coming by.

Yesterday, I sent Perry down to where that first and most recent picture was and where I was a couple nights ago and the bucks were fighting and growling. I was going to go to the corner stand but figured this bigger buck was smart, would stay in the woods and come below the pond. With about an hour left of shooting time I saw a 3 point across the pond which had to come from the corner. 10 minutes later the fork horn came by from the same place. Those 2 bucks ended up giving Rut Nut a show. With about a half hour of shooting time left I saw a buck going thru the woods towards the corner and figured he would do the same thing. I was right. After he passed the spot across the pond I did 2 long doe bleats followed by 3 short buck grunts. Next thing I hear is leaves crunching and I see antlers coming into my shooting lane where I have a crab apple tree ranged at 29 yards. As he walked thru I did not think it was him and most of his body and head went behind a yellow leafy bush. I fumbled for my binoculars and was able to see those curved brow tines and knew then it had to be him.

20 seconds seemed like forever and I thought he was going to walk back into the woods. I guess other than rubbing a tree and eating some of those yellow leaves they seem to love, and not finding the doe he thought he heard, he turned around and started thru the shooting lane. I drew and got my 30 yard pin on him but the angle was too extreme, patience! He walked behind the crab apple yardage marker, turned broad side and stopped. A second later my arrow was on its way and I could see and tell from the sound it was a good hit.

I watched him run out of the woods and thru the field to where he went down.

01-Nov-17
Excellent Buck!!!!! Enjoy a good hunting story so hopefully more details to come.

01-Nov-17
I almost did not shoot that buck until I looked thru the binos. Before he came out I was wondering if maybe Perry would have been the one to get a chance at him since that is where I think I saw him last. Funny how things turn out. Guess my eyes aren't what they used to be.

01-Nov-17
To say that I inherited a bunch of hunting stuff from younger brother this past winter would be an extreme understatement. I decided that I would just try to use as much of that gear while hunting, kind of like folks here were thinking of our dear friend Hank. I started off by wearing his socks and camo shirt and using his slate call to bag my longbeard in the spring. This fall Kathy wore his old camo sweatshirt when she got here buck.

Yesterday afternoon when I got my buck I was wearing the socks, tee shirt and a fleece hood. I used his grunt call to call the deer in and his 2 knives and even rubber gloves for field dressing. Ultimately, one of his arrows was the one out of 3 others I had that I chose to shoot this deer with.

I really missed calling him and telling him my story as we always used to do after we scored but somehow I think he knows.

01-Nov-17
Awesome Art!

01-Nov-17
That's great, Art.

01-Nov-17
CONGRATULATIONS ART!!!! So that's the buck you were telling me about last Sat. Way to go! & Great Story!

01-Nov-17
Congratulations Art!

01-Nov-17
Thanks for sharing your story Art and congrats.

01-Nov-17

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Hunted out of the blind today and saw deer all day, just too far. Really nasty in Western Pa! 33 and started raining just before I went out- very raw! Saw a shooter buck at about 180y out on dam about 9am. He walked off after 20 min then came back 30 min with a smaller buck. They fed another 15 min- very odd- close, but not paying each other any mind.

Then this afternoon think I saw the small buck again (4 pt) feeding for 30 min at about 80-100y. He kept looking up this way and I kept thinking there might be another buck I couldn’t see behind the blind, but nothing came out. Saw a doe run across the dam like it was being chased, but nothing came out. Then had a doe cross 75y below me before dark.

01-Nov-17
Congrats Art. I'm sure your brother is smiling.

01-Nov-17
Congrats, Art!! Dandy buck for sure!!

01-Nov-17
Real nice buck Art ! Thanks for the story.

02-Nov-17
Thanks guys. As Bobby H would say, "I'm just living the dream" since I retired. The best thing about my job was all the really great folks I have met and got to work and hunt and shoot arrows with, the long lasting friendships, all over PA.

02-Nov-17
Got out this morning and had a doe at first light but I must have stood up too quick and she caught my movement and bounded away. Then around 9:30 had a young 8 point cruise past. He was moving away quickly over 50 yards away and I had some fun with the grunt call and turned him around and got him to come right under my stand. I already shot a buck so I am only after Doe or Turkey. Then about 10 minutes later a groundhog took its last walk past and I put the hammer down at 30 yards. Fun morning. Looks like temps are warming up here in 5B, hope the deer move this evening.

02-Nov-17
Congrats on the whistle pig Dan!

Art and I decided to switch tithings up today, went out later in morning after rain let up to different spot with climber. Kicked up a decent buck bedded with a doe around 10 on way to stand site. In climber now. Had showers come thru but should be clear for rest of day. Hopefully I can call one in or catch them moving later! ;-)

02-Nov-17
I saw 2 legal bucks today and a couple does. Once again Rut is in one of my favorite spots, just waiting.

02-Nov-17
Had a doe come in twice about 2:30 and 3. Passed on it- thinking buck may be chasing, then passed on it later when Art pushed it back to me. Nothing in the evening. Left climber in there and will go back in same spot in AM.

03-Nov-17
If you get out of bed.

03-Nov-17
LOL

03-Nov-17
Not seeing much in the way of deer,seeing deer sign. Just not a lot of deer.

As for bear what I'm really after, well i missed one Tuesday at about 10:15, just miss judged the distance. Of the 8 or so times I've been here I've seen bear 3 times and one of them days I saw bear twice. So 4 bear sightings here in last 4 weeks.

There a sweet corn field about 600 yds over the knob I'm hunting. So I'm pretty sure thats why there's bear around here.

And Wednesday night about midnight a bear came up on my back deck and try to steel my garbage can, so next year I will be marketing light weight, pop-up decoy garbage cans.

03-Nov-17
Seen a large pope and young squirrel.. He was at least 1/4" past the ears.. A true giant! And through my sweating I am sure he even winded me a time or two cause it was 85 degrees, quite cool for this time of November! One it gets into the 90's again, it may be time to go back out and try my luck for another squirrel!

Will fall ever come to Pennsylvania?

I am starting to doubt the fact I may even need insulated boots till after xmas...

03-Nov-17
LOL Art! : )

Well, I got out of bed, but this dang on and off rain is miserable. Seems to start just before I head out everyday. I was here in my spot at first light, but deer didn’t show. No bear or turkey either. Think I’ll move at lunch. My guide says he has a “hot spot” for me! ;-)

Ed- sorry to hear that. But sounds like you got a great spot! Keep your head in the game and maybe you’ll get a second chance!

03-Nov-17
Suposed to be cold here this coming week Junior. If Perry and Dan don't kill them all the next 2 days you could try end of next week. Where do the Steelers play next week. Not sure if I can get tickets still. We already went to thier last home game.

03-Nov-17
Next home game is NOV 16.. I am just discouraged... You know what I am chasing. This weather is killing me with not even coming close to setting foot over there. And I feel the longer this summer drags, the worst it will be to try and tag that buck.

03-Nov-17

Dan scored after an hour in the stand on a perfect night. Perfect shot on a perfect 8 point at 8 yards. 100 yard recovery.

03-Nov-17
He earned it after sitting in the rain for 2 days. I shot a buck here 3 years ago.

03-Nov-17
When Art tells you to sit at a certain stand....................listen to him! ;-)

03-Nov-17
Correction that was rut nut who got the buck. Dan was still on his way.

03-Nov-17
Congratulations Perry. You follow directions well. :)

04-Nov-17
Way to shoot straight stick!

04-Nov-17
Congrats Perry and Stick.

04-Nov-17
Way to go Justin! : )

04-Nov-17
Congrats Perry and Justin!

04-Nov-17
Friday evening I was after a doe and went right into the bedding area with the climber. Saw 3 legal bucks scent checking and running doe. One was a definite shooter with uneven but substantial headgear. Around 5 PM saw a large momma doe get up from her bed about 100 yards away. Wind was in my favor and she started to cautiously walk toward my stand. She stayed about 50 yards away walking East parallel to my stand then she walked south and started walking directly at me at 30 yards she put her head down and I drew on her. She walked another 5 yards not turning. I was at full draw for a good while getting a little fatigued before she turned. I shot and she went down in sight. Get her tagged, dressed and back in the truck in time to see a wonderful Hershey, PA sunset. I have really had some wonderful hunts this season and will be back out for another doe this evening.

04-Nov-17

DanWesson357's embedded Photo
Hershey Looking toward Harrisburg after a fantastic hunt.
DanWesson357's embedded Photo
Hershey Looking toward Harrisburg after a fantastic hunt.

06-Nov-17
Thanks guys! : )

After sitting at 4 different stand locations in 3 days, Art suggested I sit at "Chise's stand". I didn't take his advice the first time, but then Thurs nite he said something like "If I had to chose one stand to hunt this week, it would be the Chise stand". I finally heeded his advice on Fri evening and was on stand barely an hr when that buck walked in! Art has a great property and knows it like the back of his hand! ;-)

Thanks again Art for hosting me for the week! Had an absolute blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

06-Nov-17
We had a great time. The whole thing makes me feel young again. The look in your face and enthusiasm are worth it. Great memories. Now we have a couple things in common that nobody else does.

06-Nov-17
congrats Perry, see what happens when you have adult supervision.

06-Nov-17
LOL! Thanks Mike! : )

Art- Yep! Never took a whole week off before...............................think I will be doing it from now on, no matter where I hunt! Was a week to remember! ;-)

06-Nov-17

Blessed Bowhunter's embedded Photo
Blessed Bowhunter's embedded Photo
It's really picked up this week in my area. I shot this guy Friday morning 11/03/17. He was the 4th buck I saw that morning and I shot him at 9:13.

06-Nov-17
Congrats, Bob. Great buck.

06-Nov-17
WOW! Beautiful buck Bob- congrats!

• Sitka Gear