Bowhunting 5C 07-Nov-17
Bob McArthur 07-Nov-17
DaleHajas 07-Nov-17
bill v 08-Nov-17
Bowhunting 5C 08-Nov-17
BSKED (mobile) 08-Nov-17
Rut Nut 09-Nov-17
06-Nov-17
I heard on the news this morning that a Butler man was in Forest county hunting where, while in his truck, his hunting suit became stuck on his crossbow and it discharged and the arrow struck him.

Think for a moment. How many things are wrong with this picture? I do not ever remember of hearing about this happening to a bow hunter.

06-Nov-17
There's nothing wrong there Art... just natural selection doing its thing.

06-Nov-17
One word..

Stupidity..

06-Nov-17
I can't say anything or I'll be ripped a new one. Again.

06-Nov-17
So that's why you walk like that, Red? LOL

06-Nov-17
When you have a loaded x-bow in your truck, something tells me that there is more to this story that meets the eye.... And I too will refrain form any other comments except, unload your weapon before putting in the truck! And not to be smart but there are story's of guys who have bleed to death from being sliced open by a broad head. And also guys who have been killed when the arrow exploded.

06-Nov-17

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Yep! The main difference between a crossbow and vertical bow. Saw this on the Big Game Forum:

06-Nov-17
My 2 cents on this subject. You can’t fix stupid. Be it a loaded weapon in your vehicle to not using a safety harness when hunting from an elevated stand. Just plain stupid! I’ll second what Jeff said!!

06-Nov-17
I saw Rut's pic and my knees got weak..

06-Nov-17
You have to remember that we are in a full moon. People go crazy, the ER's fill up and the behavioral health wards fill up. This act of stupidity does not surprise me.

06-Nov-17
Found this online:

Marienville-based State Police say the incident happened Saturday around 5:51 p.m. near a wooded area along Lamonaville Road in Jenks Township. According to police, Gary Reed, of Butler, placed his crossbow inside a vehicle while the bow was still loaded. When Reed turned to walk towards the back of the vehicle, his hunting suit got caught on the crossbow causing it to slide, and an unknown object activated the trigger. An arrow subsequently struck Reed in the back of the leg. He was flown to Alleghany General Hospital in Pittsburgh for treatment. His current condition is unknown.

06-Nov-17
The 850 acre farm I hunt on usually has two or three "hunters" driving around with loaded crossbows on the front seat of their truck. It's visible when they stop to chat.

06-Nov-17
I was at AGH yesterday, I could have visited him, at least dropped off an application.

06-Nov-17
Stupid isn't weapon specific.

06-Nov-17
They walk among us

06-Nov-17
I tried keeping my 33# 69" Damon Howatt Vigilante braced and with an arrow at the ready (a 1716 with a 55 grain target point, by the way) inside my Jeep Liberty, but the bow is too big for the Jeep. So I didn't.

Hope the crossbow person is able to make a full recovery...

07-Nov-17
He is lucky he did not "Steve Martin" himself...

07-Nov-17

07-Nov-17

08-Nov-17
we had a guy that use to hunt in one of our mgmt groups. he swore up and down that he could unload a crossgun by hand instead of shooting a bolt into the ground. Hank,(who just passed away) was a stickler for safety and a long time bowhunter Ed instructor tried to convince him it was a bad idea. over and over he tried to get him to stop doing it. well, yup, you guessed it. one evening after hunting ( we'll call him Dave to protect his identity) , Dave tried to unload with a bolt installed. with foot in sturup it cuts loose, right through the boot and half cuts off his big toe. I'm laughing right now as I write this due to the amount of stupidity

08-Nov-17
Bill.. Reality is never a destination for some, just a visit.

08-Nov-17
That same guy who will call Dave to protect his families identity used to walk with a loaded Xbow strung over his shoulder with the bolt pointed at the base of his skull. Hank and I were both bowhunter ed instructors, and when we saw it the first time were horrified. Hank promptly removed the bolt, and then explained the consequences, as if that was needed. Jeez!

09-Nov-17
You just can't make this stuff up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

• Sitka Gear