Richm444 20-Nov-17
nehunter 20-Nov-17
bigbuckbob 20-Nov-17
notme 20-Nov-17
Bigbuckbob 20-Nov-17
Paul 20-Nov-17
Richm444 06-Dec-17
06-Nov-17
I am looking to set up a ladder stand - I have never been able to get up in one before or any stand but I am finding that I need to set one up in this one area.

Any suggestions are appreciated

06-Nov-17
I have 4 Big Game ladder stands.

The most important thing to me is, get one that has the platform going all the way back to the tree.

Big Game, Summit, Muddy are just a few names.

What ever one that you chose, get one with the platform back to the tree.

It is a 2 person job to set one up, keep that in mind.

If you have any questions, PM me.

06-Nov-17
muddy ... awesome stand

06-Nov-17
Private or public land?

If public get a cheap one from hunters guide $50.

06-Nov-17

SixLomaz's Link
Sportsmanguide.com usually sells one at 21 feet tall, good quality if you put better straps and apply few coats of spray paint or PlastiDip. Look for Guide Gear 21' Deluxe Double Rail Ladder Tree Stand or just follow the link. I have two deployed and I am happy with them after 5 years in the field without rust. If you need help I can come along to assist as it can be difficult to raise by yourself.

07-Nov-17
I've used the 21 feet six posted the link to. I find the ladder to narrow and the side rail on the seat squeezes my fat ass. If you are a skinny dude it'll work for you. I do like 15-16 feet ladder cuz I keep my shots at less than 15 yards and 21 feet would be to steep of an angle. Imho https://youtu.be/_uGWkBK161Q

07-Nov-17
The best ladder stands I have ever had were the D-tube ones from Dick's Sporting Goods. I bet we have 10-12 of them on our farm down in Virginia and they are the most stable ladder stands I have ever been in. I have hunted out of Summits and Big Game ladder stands and they do not compare IMHO. And to top it off they are super cheap compared to the other ladder stands. That's not the reason we buy them - we buy them as they are reliable and sturdy.I was in Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and noticed there 16-ft ladder stand is on sale for $79.99.

07-Nov-17

>>---CTCrow--->'s Link

07-Nov-17

SixLomaz's Link
The best stands come with built in YouTube viewing for your pleasure. The 21 feet ladder stand fits me perfect at 6' 2" and 270 lbs with a big ass attached.

07-Nov-17
Them biscuits arent getting by some of you guys, good grief.

I have found its more about how you set up the stand than its quality. Setting it up yourself is s-k-e-t-c-h-y. Be careful.

07-Nov-17

>>---CTCrow--->'s Link
Lmao. Good catch whaler.

Not dificult rich but it is a 2 man job.

07-Nov-17
<> CT Crow - If my math is correct, you should be OK out to 90 yards as long as your stand is less than 60' off the ground.

07-Nov-17
I bought a Guide Gear Jumbo 18' ladder stand from Sportsman's Guide this year. It was $96.00. Good stand for bow hunting as it has a big platform and a fold up seat. Only gripe i have is the paint job is terrible and chips off very easy. Still worth the money as the paint is easily touched up.

08-Nov-17
IMHO, ladder stands fool guys into thinking they are safer to use. That is, I can climb up and down without a harness. The majority of falls from tree stands occur during the getting in or leaving.

Honestly, how many of you install a safety line, and use it when climbing up and leaving?

08-Nov-17
Wild Bill - I clip in before I take a step off the ground and stay that way until I'm back on terra firma. I use a prussic knot line from Hunter Safety Systems. So easy if you have a non-portable stand

08-Nov-17
I hunted out of a friends field and stream from dick was great mad for a larger hunter 6’3 280 fit me perfect

20-Nov-17
thanks for the suggestions - btw private land ctcrow

20-Nov-17

nehunter 's Link
Dicks Sporting Goods has a bunch for sale.

20-Nov-17
I'm waiting for when they come out with a "Hook 'n' Ladder" stand. Then I can drive it into the woods and use hydraulics. :)

20-Nov-17

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
Maybe something like this bob..loads of fun and you dont need a cdl...lol

20-Nov-17
Ah yes, rooftop hunting and chimney cleaning.

20-Nov-17
Fairfield County I’ll bet

06-Dec-17

Richm444's Link
Hey - I decided to go with the D-tube

Thank you all for your suggestions

Thanks SixLomaz for offering your help. I have some friends to help me out.

Mt friend showed me how to use the harness and an ascender and I was finally able to sit atop a ladder stand. For me it's a big deal because I am afraid of heights (even though I am a pilot- I can't explain it)

Can't wait to set it up.

• Sitka Gear