Hoyter2804 06-Nov-17
Blessed Bowhunter 06-Nov-17
PAbowhunter1064 07-Nov-17
Rut Nut 07-Nov-17
Bowbender 07-Nov-17
Rut Nut 07-Nov-17
Thunderflight 07-Nov-17
06-Nov-17
Well, you're gonna hear it a thousand and one times. Use a harness and life-line. Stay attached from ground to stand.

My son and I decided to hunt this afternoon in spite of the lousy weather. We got to our stands around 2pm and started to get ready to climb. The tree my stand is in is not the straightest and my climbing sticks follow the contour. Any how, I'm climbing and up to my third stick, next thing I know I'm swinging around the tree. My foot slipped of the step causing me to drop maybe 8-10". My right hand had already gripped the next step of my Muddy Sticks, but it wasn't near strong enough to stop me. The life-line did it's job, prusic knot tightened right up. I was able to turn around and face the tree and get my foot on one of the steps. I feared what my right hand looked like as the steps on the Muddy Sticks are really aggressive. My son came running over as I worked my way down the sticks. Blood was running from the base of the fingers on my right hand. After some clean-up with water and some paper towels I could see that I removed a lot of skin and lacerated the joints. Not deep, but hurts like hell to bend my fingers. Pulled some muscles in my arm as well. I was up about 12'. Needless to say, it was a sobering experience. And it happened so quick. No time at all to react.

Some take aways...

1. Use a lifeline. I do have several stands that have the shorter line at stand level to hook up to once up. They will be replaced with 30' lifelines I ordered on Amazon. 3-pak $77

https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety-System-Reflective-LIFELINE/dp/B00QQNVGIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510017692&sr=8-1&keywords=hunter+safety+system+life+line

2. Check how your sticks are positioned relative to the tree and ground level. When I looked closer it was evident the step was not parallel to the ground or perpendicular to the tree, but actually sloping down. Add in wet boots and it was an accident waiting to happen.

3. This goes without saying, wear a harness.

Fortunately this had a "good" ending. My hand is sore, arm hurt, oh yeah, forgot about the nice bruise on my stomach from steps. But, I should be ready for Friday and Saturday. Temps are supposed to drop considerably and I'm excited. Wiser as well.

Stay safe all.

06-Nov-17
Good advice, well put.

06-Nov-17
I had my climber bottom slip out on my Friday, banged up my ribs good but it could have been much much worse

06-Nov-17
I lost an Uncle 5 years ago to a tree stand fall. Glad you're ok.

07-Nov-17
Glad to hear, bowbender, that it did not turn out alot worse for you. All my stands now have Lifeline's attached, in case of the exact scenario you described. I hope your hand heals quickly, and thanks for sharing your story.

07-Nov-17
Glad you're ok! ANd good reminder that things like this happen when we least expect it!

07-Nov-17
Guys, thanks for the kind words. I was talking with a fellow bowhunter this morning that still doesn't wear a harness all the time. He says at 16' he's usually pretty careful. I reminded him that it's not a matter of "if" you fall, but "when" you fall. I mentioned that the acceleration due to gravity is 32.2 ft/sec2. In other words, at 16', you'll be on the ground in under a second. Still didn't seem to concerned.

07-Nov-17
I feel bad for his family! : (

07-Nov-17
A friend of mine had the bottom fall out of his climber while ascending. He didn't hook up the line between the climbing aid and platform either. He also didn't secure his safety harness to the three either.

Luckily he was only eight feet of the ground, but while getting down he aggravated a pre-existing injury and is pretty jacked up.

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!

• Sitka Gear