notme 14-Nov-17
jax2009r 14-Nov-17
bigbuckbob 14-Nov-17
notme 14-Nov-17
Bigbuckbob 14-Nov-17
longbeard 14-Nov-17
notme 14-Nov-17
13-Nov-17
So I got a question maybe someone knows a little about. Obviously the rut is totally different from last year.. it started way later than normal. Does this mean we lose out on time. Does the chasing phase and the breeding phase shorten in time or is everything the same just started later. I had rubs and scrapes everywhere last year by Oct 25. This year it's mid November and I'm just starting to see rubs. Is the rut shortened or will everything be the same just starting later?

13-Nov-17
contrary to popular belief, most breeding takes place at the same time of year, i believe late Oct thru first week of november. People get hung up on observations which can be influenced heavily by weather, hunters, food availability etc.

Those factors dictate the erratic behavior but I am in the camp that believes deer breed pretty much around the same times.

Or maybe you just urinated in your hunting areas and all the deer left.

13-Nov-17
Theres the 2nd rut...

13-Nov-17
yeah, i normally wait for the 3rd and 4th rut as well. Its in March and April.

14-Nov-17
I think there is breeding as late as Jan .

14-Nov-17
Whaler, does that mean breeding and the rut are over?

14-Nov-17
https://youtu.be/ewRvdymdP9U

Imo, all deer hunters should watch this guys series about the rut. Alot is well known info but theres some pretty interesting stuff as well.

14-Nov-17
Look for sign and hunt

14-Nov-17
well shawn the way im seeing it on my land is the does are just starting to go in to cycle . and the younger bucks are starting to fire up . im thinking the gun season will be in the heat of things this year unlike last year when the early bow season was hot.. late cycle equals late rut. even later second rut

14-Nov-17
It's a weird year Shawn. Up here it's been a little funky. It was S-L-O-W for buck sign until November 2. Then there was a blast for about 4-5 days. It felt like everyone I spoke to was seeing large bucks cruising or chasing. then is stalled a bit... The last few days have been good again. I saw some chasing in NE ct saturday... But zero rut sign in the area - no rubs, no scrapes... nothing. Point being... I think it's happening, but the warm temps may have it happening more overnight. Because since saturday, based on social media for what that's worth, guys up here are seeing chasing and blatantly love drunk buck behavior (mature bucks walking across lawns, walking past roofers, etc etc.).

I think it's happening, but it's just a bit more "trickle" like than some years where it's a big 2 week salvo.

14-Nov-17

whaler's embedded Photo
whaler's embedded Photo
Crow, no i was in not saying its over. What am i saying is a lot of breeding occurs then. If a doe is not fertilized then she will come back into estrous, maybe a few days or longer afterward. Ive seen does breed into early december and some doe yearling getting dogged in january.

What im getting at is that shawn was asking is it over. Not at all. Its just been unusual pattern. I killed a back a day after thanksgiving last year right after he bred a doe.

My usual spots are pretty sparse for sign but there is some sign. Fresh scrapes last friday.

This is all just opinion and what i have gathered from my own experiences and from what i have researched. I have not talked to any deer about this so honestly i have no clue.

14-Nov-17
I disagree...the end of OCT is too early....the moon impacts each year...so different moon slightly different timing....with that said especially in CT with the buck to doe ratio so off does come in and dont get breed so they need a another one

14-Nov-17
the moon ... yes the moon ... even so the rut happens every year + / - 7 to 14 days ... and it is a cyclic event over the 5-7 years period

14-Nov-17
I dont think the moon matters as much as people give credit, its really length of day change that triggers rutting behavoir.

14-Nov-17
i agree on the light ...but the moon usually kicks it off

14-Nov-17
I see less deer on full moons .

14-Nov-17
yes because they were out feeding all night and sleeping during the day ..

14-Nov-17
I never asked if it was over I asked if it's starting late does the rut occur for the same amount of time or dies the cycles lessen in days. Obviously it's not over it's mud November when the rut is at its best.

14-Nov-17
I hunted Kentucky for 6 years during the rut. This year was by far over a week behind as past years. The rut is so much far noticable out there. All guys I spoke with said same thing.

14-Nov-17
shawn its starting late so it will run late

14-Nov-17
Even the big stripers are late...bait just starting to school up....mud hens shouldve left by now

14-Nov-17
With my wildlife business...the woodpecker migration is a few weeks late as well....

14-Nov-17
Lost my watch one year, lost a bunch of time!!

14-Nov-17
Hell i lost my mind years ago..not sure if i want it back now...lol

14-Nov-17
My phone can tell time??? That's crazy talk. Next you'll be telling me that my phone can play music.

14-Nov-17
Some of you guys are funny and should stick to comedy...deer hunting not so much! LOL

14-Nov-17
Im old school i like wearing a wrist watch..and the guys in the white coats told me the same thing...lol

• Sitka Gear