Bloodtrail 17-Nov-17
Oneeye 17-Nov-17
SixLomaz 17-Nov-17
Yank72 22-Nov-17
Bigbuckbob 22-Nov-17
Oneeye 22-Nov-17
Jmill 22-Nov-17
16-Nov-17
Hey guys, I've been following this forum since the beginning of this year and just want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and input. I'm still green to deer hunting. I've hunted upland bird and turkey since I was 16. But I am a first generation deer hunter, nobody else in the family hunts. I took up bowhunting about 3 years ago in an attempt to take my first deer. Unfortunately my only access is to state land, and the jokes are true, in my neck of the woods your more likely to see another hunter than a deer. Any advice on advice on cashing in would be greatly appreciated, not looking for a handout, I'm stubborn as they come, but any advice on private land access and just anything in general to increase the odds would be a huge help. Thanks again!- Steve

16-Nov-17
Steve - welcome and where do you live and hunt? What part of the state, don't need to know the tree you go up:) State land has some advantages that private land does NOT. More land and hunters typically come in from just one, maybe two, locations. Go deep and from the opposite direction. Spend lots of time scouting or still hunting to determine where the deer are coming from and going to. Safety and food are the only 2 things deer live for, find those 2 things and you're on the right track to getting one. I like to drive around the perimeter of the area I want to hunt to learn the lay of the land. Are there farms, houses, factories, etc bordering where I want to hunt? Can I get permission to cross their land to get into the back door of the state land? Good luck.

16-Nov-17
Safety, food and SEX Bob, don't forget the sex. You remember what that is don't you?

Welcome Yank. Either knock on doors, or just ask anyone you meet/know. Co-workers, family, etc.

16-Nov-17
You can view property lines and get owners names at the town hall tax assessors web page. Look for the GIS maps. I tried assessing the properties by map and cruising the neighborhoods, then write to the land owners. Most already had someone hunting the land, some freaked to think someone would hunt their neighborhood. I included an addressed return envelope with postage. I didn't include a permit slip, but asked to meet them for signatures, should they consider letting me hunt. I had a couple in Newtown, but the deer weren't there that year, or at least not when I was.

16-Nov-17
You got to put in the time, scouting stand time etc. and research books internet etc. I haven't hunted a lot of state land but I made many mistakes first starting out and definitely tipped off the deer that were in the area. The state land I hunted I was scouting in Feb with snow on the ground to follow tracks to understand where the deer we're going. Just following tracks gives you an understanding of why deer go where they go.

17-Nov-17
Time, time, time. Gotta put it in. Deer hunting, ESPECIALLY bow hunting is a huge learning curve. I didnt even see a deer for the first 3 seasons. Knowing what i know now and looking back its no wonder. If you keep at it and spend the time it will all just fall into place. Stick around and find out. Just have patience.good luck.

17-Nov-17
Brian - sex? I only shoot bucks, is that what you mean? :) I don't consider sex at all. Find where the doe are feeding and bedding and you'll find bucks. Sex is not important until the rut happens as well. Let me guess, you're under 40 yrs old, right?

17-Nov-17
It tookme 5 years to get my first deer and that was all weapons...

Get some trailcams so you get some pics and are confident in your spot....just cuz you dont see them does not mean they are not thete

17-Nov-17
Go deep and from the opposite direction, get into the back door.

17-Nov-17
Grizz, most of your posts are condescending.....but that one is funny.

17-Nov-17
I don't think you should get down. I had a deer first year hunting with bow. But understand I spent serious hours prepping. Including researching, scouting, practice shooting, even climbing in my stand in my yard and practicing on my deer target with all hunting gear on before season. And at least once weekly stand sits usually twice. My first wasn't until Halloween. It's do able. Don't confuse activity with productivity.

17-Nov-17
Piece of cake. Just go where no one goes, move like a native american BBB style, cover yourself in ASAT, keep squeaky clean, play the wind, get a phone with better battery, practice at 40 to 60 yards but do not shoot over 30 yards, do not spend money on any other camo pattern/gimmick, tell yourself and believe every time you hunt - "This is the day I am going to harvest a deer." Remember to be grateful to your creator for this is not a game, but an exchange of energy between your quarry and yourself. Respect that sacrifice, be humble, shoot straight, and enjoy the spoils of your hard work. Be a hunter and when you step into the forest think meat first, then antlers. Do not watch TV hunter shows as they will weaken your resolve.

22-Nov-17
I can't thank you all enough for the response to this thread! It truly means a great deal and I will most definitely be putting the combined insight to good use! I apologize for the delayed response, work has been slammed for those who are landscapers by trade! I'm from the Waterbury area, so hunting is not the greatest too close by, but I travel usually all over tot state land that's close enough, have spent quite a bit of time in the Mattatuck state forest, great sign in the area but come crunch time never too many passer by's other than other hunters! This past year has been the most time I've spent prepping and scouting and it seems I'm getting closer and closer to punching my ticket, but it seems I haven't picked the greatest rut to play (thus far at least). Thank you all again, it truly means a great deal! I'll be out thanksgiving morning, hopefully we can make it happen!

22-Nov-17
Good luck

22-Nov-17
Six Lomaz actually distilled it down really good. Pretty much nailed it.

22-Nov-17
Lomaz is on point as usual. Perfectly said

• Sitka Gear