Live2hunt 29-Nov-17
lame crowndip 30-Nov-17
skookumjt 30-Nov-17
Bigfoot 30-Nov-17
Reggiezpop 30-Nov-17
raspy old hen 01-Dec-17
Drop Tine 01-Dec-17
17-Nov-17
I hunt a fish and game property that is bow hunting only. No guns aloud for any type of hunting. If I hunt that property with a bow tomorrow can I skip the orange? Also have a few suburban spots I considered depending on weather (rain days are ideal as it keeps neighbors in doors). Typically I save these suburban spots for frigid temps during the metro season, but with it being a shortened season next year I figure I may as well get used to it and hunt earlier than normal. Mostly I get so focused on bow hunting that I don't have any place to gun hunt. The public land spots I use will be overrun with orange tomorrow. Yes I'm a procrastinator

17-Nov-17
No skipping the orange!

17-Nov-17
You could wear blaze pink if you really don't want to wear the orange.

I was bow hunting metro Milwaukee county a few years ago and asked the same question.

I was told by the dnr I had to wear blaze orange to be legal. I'm pretty sure Milwaukee county is the only county in the state that's totally incorporated and doesn't allow any sort of firearms discharge.

17-Nov-17
Is it orange or blaze orange?

17-Nov-17
Funny that's the one county in the state I would feel having a fire arm most important. Blaze pink, I kinda wanna toss a pink vest in the wash just to see how wound up the gf gets lol. On a serious note, I've heard that dnr rules are open to interpretation. Honestly I read the rules and yeah, blaze orange during any firearm season. However I could see how it could be interpreted as that since there isn't a firearms possibility in said area that such area shouldn't have a blaze requirement. Figured I was sol but maybe others had interpreted the way I wanted to hear.

17-Nov-17
won't be long there will be yet another dumb rule change :)

18-Nov-17
Even if you are in one of those enclosed tower stands your blaze orange is suppose to be on.

18-Nov-17
Do tower stands need blaze on the outside in Wisconsin? Pop up's do. At least they need it in Minnesota.

18-Nov-17
Only on public land.

18-Nov-17
I hear allot of people are getting shot in Milwaukee, maybe a person should be required to wear blaze orange 12 months out of the year! So much for laws. lol

18-Nov-17
A law was changed not too terribly long ago that made it legal to fire a firearm with in incorporated borders and leaving the decision up to the municipality.

Mequon s technically a city and you can gun hunt.

I believe you can also gun hunt Franklin private if the property meets the criteria.

19-Nov-17
Blaze orange on blinds only on State lands.

19-Nov-17
Correct MF - IF County land only if a County ordinance is enacted - other wise NO. Private land - NO.

Safety wise - YES!

20-Nov-17
Do us metro hunters need to continue to wear orange after the 9 day?

20-Nov-17
Tweed look at the metro season dates, they are longer than the 9 day hunt,,,, The entire Metro hunt time, blaze orange is required.... and by the way, I have heard that our local warden, for some reason, is finding hunters without blaze orange hats, and these are hunters all in there 20's..... enforcement action was taken on each violation,,,

20-Nov-17
Good to know thanks.

I just dug my orange out tonight.

20-Nov-17
IF you wear a hat, it needs to be blaze irange.

20-Nov-17
Its not IF.... you are required to wear a hat of some sort and it has to be blaze orange

20-Nov-17

Bigfoot's embedded Photo
Bigfoot's embedded Photo
page 21 of the rulebook clearly says IF a hat is worn

20-Nov-17
Bigfoot is absolutely correct. As a youngster I learned this the hard way.

20-Nov-17
"Its not IF.... you are required to wear a hat of some sort and it has to be blaze orange"

Actually it is IF. You are not required to wear a hat, they can't make you wear a hat. But if you do, 50% must be blaze orange. Stupid law. People can walk around with no hat and blond, black, brown hair. But I can't wear a camo hat.

21-Nov-17
My Bad...you are correct in what it says. Most have to wear a hat of some sort so it is required if you do 1/2 has to be blaze orange. Strange law...

28-Nov-17
Recommend to wear the minimum orange which is a vest over your camo clothing plus a hat if you wear one. This could be an orange camo vest also to break up your outline. Don't wear a full coat or coveralls. I believe that you must wear orange statewide for 23 days -- the 9 day gun season, the 10 day muzzle loader season, and the 4 day antlerless season. Some counties also have a 9 day holiday hunt, and you must wear orange then also.

28-Nov-17
I don't know if it's such a strange law. Especially if it's saving a life now and then. If you do not wear a hat, which 99% do wear - the law cannot "make you" die your hair orange or pink - BUT the law can control clothing in the woods and it's just plain SMART to wear orange while in the field.

When you think about it, your head often is one of the most "moving" objects out there. Your looking left, right, up and down and there's a lot of movement there. Purely a safety issue and a good one at that!

I myself have a vest - orange ball cap with a blaze orange stocking cap.

I applaud those who wear full orange hat/coat/pants and back pack!

Remember if your back pack is any other color than orange and your wearing a vest, it blocks out the amount of orange you are legally supposed to be displaying.

I'm old enough to remember the switch from red to orange! OMG - the world was coming to an end!

Much like some times on Bowsite! :^)

28-Nov-17
Who voluntarily wears orange during bow season but outside firearm deer season because of the pheasant, turkey, waterfowl and small game hunters?

28-Nov-17
Several years ago, I was sitting on the ground on my little folding stool. There was snow on the ground. It was the late season doe hunt. I had a small buck walk up to me and stare. I think he was 1 1/2. He didn't know what I was, but knew I didn't belong. He just moved along. It got me thinking about how deer see Blaze Orange. With snow on the ground, or up in a tree with the winter sky, maybe to a deer it's not standing out that much. What do you guys think. I did read recently that blue is very easy for deer to see, and that deer are basically color blind. That being said, I am alone in late season ( public land). I wear a simple vest and hat, and after I get into the woods, I take it off. I keep it in my back pack, and ready just in case someone does come through.

28-Nov-17
I shot a buck two years in a row during the youth hunt wearing 50% blaze orange. I have a heavy wool checkered black and orange shirt that I wore. Both deer were 10 (+/-) yard shots. I wouldn't worry about wearing it.

28-Nov-17
An orange camo vest alone is NOT legal! Unless you are wearing short sleeves or a tank top only :)

28-Nov-17
I thought the same thing. 50% of clothing above waist required being blaze. Camo-blaze vest likely shy of 50%. Wearing that blaze vest prob makes me more paranoid than the deer. It's such a solid mass, maybe if they sold a blaze vest with the flapy leaf like material hanging off of it I'd feel better about myself not standing out to bad

28-Nov-17
I love it when people admit they break the law. I don't care if you don't like the law, it's still the law.

28-Nov-17
Maybe this will be the next law change, only need the orange requirements when moving, unnecessary once in your stand. Actually, what's the difference if you're in a turkey blind on private or certain public lands?

29-Nov-17
Or hunting waterfowl hunters in a marsh.....you know....where injured deer like to run and hide.

29-Nov-17
Or people walking in State Parks that have the 9 day deer season talking place. Last week I saw allot of brown coats and white hats on people walking the same trails leading through hunting areas within the park and outside the park. No one got shot. Just hunters need orange. All other users do not. Safety concern?

29-Nov-17
Know what makes hunting safer than wearing blaze? Hunters Safety. The vast majority of hunters out there now have been through hunters safety so we don't see as many reckless shots as there were back in the plaid days.

29-Nov-17
Aren't you required to wear blaze pink if you're hunting with a crossbow?

29-Nov-17
Skook, just curious, who admitted on here they broke any law? B2K, you are correct. When you buy a x-gun you get a free blaze pink hunting outfit with panty's.

30-Nov-17
Not saying it's not a good idea but given the trend toward getting government out of our lives (debate for another time) why not remove the requirement for people to look like a pumpkin on their own land.

30-Nov-17
I'm not going to go back and find it but someone stated they wear their orange to their stand and then take it off. Blaze orange is without a doubt the biggest factor in reducing accidents. The fact that hunters are so visible makes a huge difference. A hunter in blaze orange can often be seen hundreds of yards away that wouldn't be seen at 50 yards in camo or even red.

30-Nov-17
from Mr.Bones post "That being said, I am alone in late season ( public land). I wear a simple vest and hat, and after I get into the woods, I take it off. I keep it in my back pack, and ready just in case someone does come through"

30-Nov-17
The public land I gun hunted in Portage County had orange paint sprayed on the trees they were going to take down. That made for one hell of a stroll!!!

01-Dec-17
"Not saying it's not a good idea but given the trend toward getting government out of our lives (debate for another time) why not remove the requirement for people to look like a pumpkin on their own land." Lame you have a good point. On my land when I change out the trail camera cards I don't wear any orange even though the muzzle loader season is in full swing. When I am using the chainsaw or my four wheeler I am not in orange. Never thought about it until you brought it up. Good point.

01-Dec-17
Anytime there is a gun deer season going I at least wear an orange hat when outside. My goal in life is to not be a statistic. LOL

• Sitka Gear