Cracken74 18-Nov-17
Cracken74 18-Nov-17
Leebo1963 18-Nov-17
Ksgobbler 18-Nov-17
keepemsharp 18-Nov-17
Cracken74 18-Nov-17
stealthycat 19-Nov-17
18-Nov-17
Shot a good one this morning at 18 yds. Thought i hit right behind front shoulder but maybe a touch high. Followed good bright blood for 150 yards. Found where he layed down. I decided to back out and just then he jumped up about 20 yards away and ran off not hard but not slow. Pretty sure mortal hit but I just cant figure exactly where i hit him at. Going to leave all day and night and look for him tomorrow morning. Arrow passed thru and had good bright red blood. Never had to really look for blood as he was bleeding that good.

18-Nov-17
If your area is like mine, loaded with coyotes, I would go back out this evening. If he bedded down once already, he is hurt bad. I'd go back out 4-5pm and resume but go real slow.

18-Nov-17
First-when in doubt back it out. You did good there.

Was the deer broadside? Quartering to or away? Were you in a stand? How high were you/steep an angle?

I would guess a mortal hit right behind the shoulder would have had to hit lung. Meaning there should be bubbles on the arrow and in the blood on the ground.

Sounds like a hit that was either too high (above vitals or the so called "void") which he will live. The other scenario you got one lung as a double lung deer should be dead by now. I have read numerous accounts on one lung hits being real tough. Bubbles are what you need to be looking for-either on the arrow or on the blood trail.

18-Nov-17
That crossed my mind but Im not sure excatly where i hit him at. Just dont want to go too soon but dont want to wait too long as there are coyotes everywhere there too.

18-Nov-17
Deer was broadside. I was up about 15. Did not see much for bubbles in the blood. Not the void as the deer is laying down. There was no gut matter on the arrow as well. Wondering if maybe i was farther back than i thought and got liver. Been many years since i havent watched a deer drop from the stand. Livers bleed much?

18-Nov-17
Liver is a dark red blood.

18-Nov-17
Liver will take 6-8 hrs if that is what you got. If there is water nearby I would go look there. As mentioned liver is dark red.

18-Nov-17
Right behind the front shoulder will not get you liver unless he was facing really toward you.

18-Nov-17
Waited about 8 hours and went out to where i last seen him after i kicked him up. Didnt find any more blood in that area. Grid search in the works for the morning. Thinking by the dark colored blood and how he acted after the shot it must of been farther back than i thought and mybe got liver. Going to walk along the creek hoping he went for water!

19-Nov-17
there is no void - fact keep looking for him - they can go a long ways , good luck

• Sitka Gear