Thornton 21-Nov-17
KB 21-Nov-17
BeardsAndBones 21-Nov-17
Thornton 21-Nov-17
Matte 22-Nov-17
Thornton 22-Nov-17
Thornton 23-Nov-17
21-Nov-17
Anyone still experiencing slow buck movement? I'm hunting around the Prairie View area and buck movement has been slow. Anyone have any idea when the second phase may kick in?

21-Nov-17
The "second phase" will likely kick in right about the end of firearms season. The bucks have been in lockdown with does who knows where recently. They could be a mile out in the middle of a pasture. The good new is that lockdown will end at anytime and the largest bucks in the area will be searching for the last few hot does. In my opinion the next week could be very good. However, deer sighting will not be great, but the largest buck in the area just may walk by your stand as he looks for the last few unbreed does.

21-Nov-17
Does have a 28 day estrus cycle..those not bred will come into heat a 2nd time. They smell "right" to a buck for the 1st 24hrs, are receptive to breeding the next 24hrs, and then still smell "right" up to the 3rd 24hrs..expect a buck to be with her for about 72hrs before he begins to seek another hot doe.

21-Nov-17
Thanks for the help. Are you guys out hunting this week or are you holding off?

21-Nov-17
A large 8pt was chasing this am..i would suggest you get in a tree,..deep cover, which has a good food source.

21-Nov-17
Sounds good. Good luck!

21-Nov-17
Buddy of mine has hunted around cedar vale for 11 straight days. Hasn't seen a buck over 2.5 yrs old.

21-Nov-17
By all means hunt this week.

21-Nov-17
Rather than blaming lack of movement on a "1st phase or second phase, I've come to realize that the rut takes place intermittently depending on the availability of hot does. As Pat Lefemine pointed out in his live hunt, he witnessed a fawn that was conceived probably some time around April. I have been seen great buck movement the last few days and I suspect it will continue well into rifle season like it always does. Judging by the few number of monsters on the kill page, I suspect the biggest ones will start falling in the next 2 weeks. A friend of mine who lives 20 miles in the middle of nowhere has seen 3 booners in the last few days with does.

21-Nov-17
If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious which direction from Wichita is 20 miles in the middle of nowhere?

21-Nov-17
You have to go to nowhere. And then proceed twenty more miles. But try to stay equidistant from all sides of nowhere.

21-Nov-17
Twodogs, if sightings get any less it will be 0 for me.i have now sat 18 times with only 8 total deer sightings. I hunt along the Arkansas south of Oxford and along Grouse Creek near Cambridge. They have always been very praductive until last year and this year!!

21-Nov-17
He is in northern Greenwood County. Nobody said anything about Wichita but it wouldn't matter anyway. I'm sure there are huge bucks rutting behind the golf course west of the airport.

21-Nov-17
Writer said three weeks ago that he knew of 8 gross two-hundreds that had been killed this year Thornton. One of the biggest yet was killed two nights ago. And another of those “new world/state record, blah blah” bucks since then as well... Anyway, enjoy your rifle season this year! That’s when all the true giants fall. ;)

21-Nov-17
I've never had much luck seeing mature bucks from around Nov 14 through Thanksgiving.. seems like lock down occurs during that time where I hunt. My favorite week is the 7-14, but you never know.. that said I'll be back out tomorrow!

21-Nov-17
I've been enjoying rifle seasons since October this year :)

22-Nov-17
I'm hunting three different locations. One for Mule Deer and two that are Whitetails only areas as they are to far east. I had the best action earlier in the season 10-24-11-6. That is when the most new sign was generated and the most sightings occurred in person or on camera. Since about the 6th we very rarely see bucks on the cameras. Definitely learning Thia new piece of ground on sit at a time as cameras do not tell a full story. The chase phase seemed rather short bit that is going to happen when the buck to ratio is so out of whack. Now I have does grouped up with their fawns and other does. Is the rut over? No but it's not as crazy as one would expect.

22-Nov-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
The giants are starting to fall 1200 miles straight north of here...

23-Nov-17

• Sitka Gear