sitO 01-Dec-17
hogthief 07-Dec-17
Quinn @work 08-Dec-17
24-Nov-17

blondehuntress's embedded Photo
Hello from the treestand, I must have climbed 1,000 times
Hello from the treestand, I must have climbed 1,000 times
I’m back in Kansas! It’s an extremely warm, almost 80 degree day. I just heard rustling in the trees and it wasn’t a squirrel!! Here. we. Go!!!!

24-Nov-17

Well, no deer. Turkey! 9 hens. They’ve decided it’s safe to come out.

24-Nov-17
Good luck! Hope you double up too

24-Nov-17

The ‘monster’ buck I saw! And a nice sunset through the trees.
The ‘monster’ buck I saw! And a nice sunset through the trees.
An exciting end to the day. I saw a fork horn/spike, a doe, a fawn and then had a really exciting/frustrating moment. I learned a hard lesson: use your range finder. I shot under a nice 10 point with an extra kicker. Thought I was shooting at 25 yards, it was 30. Fortunately, I didn’t spook it. Excited to get back out and do it again tomorrow.

24-Nov-17
Stay after them Dara, we’re pulling for ya!

24-Nov-17
Good luck Dara, hope you get the "Shakey leg"!

24-Nov-17
Thanks, guys! Instead of the shakey leg, I got tears haha. I was so excited that I had tears pouring down my face while at full draw. That should be the definition of buck fever.

24-Nov-17
Don’t feel bad, had a K-State student in one of my stands this week and she just forgot to hit the release on a nice 8-pointer that would have been her first buck.

25-Nov-17
Anything can happen, Writer. I’m dusting it off and trying again. It’s a cool, clear morning. 34 with a slight N breeze. Back in the stand I was in last night.

25-Nov-17
Just watched the doe parade go by. 6 doe, 4 fawn. I also saw the fork horn/ spike.

25-Nov-17

blondehuntress's Link
As soon as I typed the last post, a broken rack showed up. Looks like he’s been fighting a lot!

25-Nov-17
nice video

26-Nov-17
Thanks, KC.

Back at it again this morning. Wind is supposed to be SW but definitely seems to be blowing more W. I’ve seen a lot of movement the last few days. Maybe today will be the day.

26-Nov-17
Looking forward to your updates.

26-Nov-17
Looking forward to your updates.

26-Nov-17

7:56am

Just had a young 8 at 5 yards! What a rush. I couldn’t get my phone up to take a picture. It was between me and the tree directly in front of me. 3 hens also walked in at the same time. My turkey shakey leg is alive and well for deer season.

26-Nov-17

blondehuntress's Link
These hens are definitely late for Thanksgiving! Always cool to watch wildlife!

26-Nov-17

blondehuntress's Link
9:11: I feel like I’m in deee heaven right now! I just saw this young buck and another one just walked in. Hopefully their grandfather isn’t far behind. Must find a way to stop my turkey shakey leg.

26-Nov-17
Great morning! I’ve been bowhunting 44 years and my left leg sometimes goes all Elvis on me. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes not until after I make a shot, sometimes the second I see a weanie buck I have no interest in shooting. All part of the fun.

26-Nov-17
Writer-definitely part of the fun!

1:30-

Back in the stand. It’s 65 and winds are roaring out of the SW. I managed to spook a few bucks on the way in. Maybe it’s a sign of things to come...

27-Nov-17
6:00am- back in a stand. Normally it takes me a cup of coffee to get going in the morning. Not today! I jumped out of bed ready to hunt. No luck last night but we’ll see what today brings. It’s already warm (44) and winds are straight out of the S.

27-Nov-17
Good Luck. I'm sitting in the office following your hunt. I'm back to Kansas for a mid December hunt. Nothing but Weiner's my first trip over last week of Oct.

Wap

27-Nov-17
Thanks, Wap!

7:44- couldn’t get it on camera but I just witnessed the craziest thing I’ve ever seen live. Hens were cackling like crazy, I look over and there’s a bobcat chasing them! Out of nowhere, the bobcat pounces on one of the hens!!

27-Nov-17

9:24- watched the bobcat chase away some does. I also saw a young 8 earlier. Keeping my fingers crossed. Man, I love hunting!

27-Nov-17
It does a Tiger's heart good to hear about a cat killing an ugly bird in Kansas. Have fun.

27-Nov-17
The farm I hunt in KS has had 2 deer kills by bobcat this fall

27-Nov-17

KC's embedded Photo
KC's embedded Photo
here's a pic

27-Nov-17
KC- that’s too bad!

12:37- a quick trip to town to put a little gas in my car. I’ve turned my Impala into a hunting mobile. Wonder if I can haul a deer in it :). Headed back out for a long afternoon sit. Going to get into the timber and hope for a little wind block from the trees. Winds are roaring out of the south. Changes are coming, though. Supposed to be 72 today & 52 tomorrow.

27-Nov-17
Tomorrow should be really good, wish I could get in the woods. Good luck this evening!

27-Nov-17
The weather change will be good!

27-Nov-17
Put one down Dara! I hope you tag a nice one like Shane's!

28-Nov-17
Thanks, Chris!

7:53- I managed to oversleep my alarm. Eeek! But, I still made it out. I’m in a draw that the deer will hopefully walk back and bed in mid-morning. I didn’t see a single deer last night.

The cold front is supposed to move in this afternoon. It’s 52 now. The high will only be 46 here tomorrow. Hopefully it will be an active few days!

28-Nov-17

9:15- winds are swirling right now. Just had a buck sneak in behind me, came within about 8 yards, the wind decided to blow and it took off. Definitely caught my scent. Fortunately, it was a very young buck. Playing the wind is going to be hard today. The sun was shining, now the clouds are rolling in.

28-Nov-17
Just a reminder to all, tomorrow starts the orange days.

28-Nov-17
Just a reminder to all, tomorrow starts the orange days.

28-Nov-17
Keepemsharp- good reminder!

3:11- strong winds out of the N are making it a chilly afternoon. The sun has also completely disappeared. It’s been a VERY quiet day for deer. But, it only takes one! Fingers crossed.

28-Nov-17
Stay strong "huntress"...any given moment

28-Nov-17
Sure was hoping the weather change would get them moving for you.

28-Nov-17
Thanks, “SitO” :). And thanks, Wap!

No luck tonight but definitely saw a lot of movement! I got 3 really young bucks on camera and I’ll post it later. They showed up at last light.

I will probably switch over to rifle tomorrow to increase my range. I only have a few more days left in Kansas.

28-Nov-17
Time to trade in the “twang” and go with the “bang.” You’ll get one, hang in there and stay safe.

29-Nov-17

Thanks, writer :)

9:40- It’s been a quiet, cool, and breeze morning so far. I saw a young buck around 7:00 but haven’t seen anything since. Definitely not ready to give up! :)

29-Nov-17
6:30- I so want to title this “I almost shot a 4 point buck” but I didn’t. What a crazy night in the field. I started to feel a little discouraged, then, out of nowhere, a heard a grunt. Then a doe came running right past me. Not far behind, a buck. A 4 point buck. It was 3 on one side, 1 on the other. He stopped 20 yards in front of me and turned broadside. He did this for like 5-10 minutes straight. I was anxious, but I passed.

About 5-10 mins later, I started to hear horns rattle! I grabbed my rattling horns and clacked back. Then, another doe came out running. She was being chased by a young 10 point. Then ran for the hills.

What an exciting night! I had other family members hunting a mile or 2 away that had a doe being chased.

The late rut is here!! So excited for tomorrow. I’m going to do everything in my power to sit the entire day.

30-Nov-17
Good luck today Blonde Huntress!

30-Nov-17
Thanks, Wap!

1:25- I think I’m set up in deer mecca! I have a VERY good feeling about this afternoon. Call me crazy, but my gut tells me I’ll get one. (Or my overly optimistic attitude) haha.

30-Nov-17
2:26- This is insane! A young buck and doe just bed under a cedar tree 30 yards in front of me! I’m scared to even flinch at this point. Wow!

30-Nov-17
Awesome you now have two live decoys, good luck.

30-Nov-17
"may I suggest going to WIHA 11050 and to the old stock tank on the west branch. There is a really wide mule deer that beds there in the thicket that used to be the pond. He is full size."

50 guys race to their vehicles.....

30-Nov-17
Could be interesting what a guy from Michigan calls a full size mule deer...probably like what Kansans say is really cold. :-) Hope you’re filling out your permit, Dara!

01-Dec-17
Thanks for the tip, killinstuff. Enjoying the commentary, guys.

7:00am- No luck last night. I’m at a new spot thud morning. A 3/4 mile walk in and didn’t spook or see any deer in the dark. It’s the coldest morning of the week, 26 right now. There’s a coyote running around and he’s lucky he’s still alive.

01-Dec-17
8:43- I shouldn’t have to say this on here, but don’t SHOOT from the road or your vehicle!!! It’s dangerous and illegal and you’re probably firing into someone else’s propert!! Don’t do it!! You could kill someone who is legally hunting in the field.

01-Dec-17
Did you call it in? All it takes is a vehicle description and a deputy will usually respond quickly.

01-Dec-17
That's a scary situation that I unfortunately have experienced. I went into survival mode tried to make myself a smaller target and waved my orange hat as high in the air as I could like a flag.

01-Dec-17
Considering the incident that your husband, Randy, myself and many others have been working to try and rectify by educating...and also that you're hunting in the same area this week...this is very troubling Dara.

Be safe and sport the orange loudly, no animal is worth that chance.

Some folks just have no ethics or morals.

07-Dec-17
Did your hunt end? Journalism 101, where's the wrap? Just kidding. I'm guessing it was anticlimactic.

08-Dec-17
Was hoping to see a success picture here. Hope you can get back out for the last 2 days. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear