BOBHUNT71 26-Nov-17
Bigbuckbob 26-Nov-17
Wild Bill 26-Nov-17
Bigbuckbob 26-Nov-17
notme 26-Nov-17
bigcountry 28-Nov-17
>>---CTCrow---> 28-Nov-17
25-Nov-17
So today didn't quite begin the way I intended. I was up at 4am, went through my usual pre-hunt routine... caffeine, breakfast, check news, Bowsite forum posts, and checked in on my Clash of Clans base while sitting on the throne waiting for caffeine to kick in. Realized I spent a little too much time taking care of business and picked up the pace. Showered in overpriced scent free soap and took clean base layer clothes out of plastic bags to get changed into. Filled thermos and tried to avoid the dog on the way out the door so I wouldn't end up with unnecessary predator smell on my ankles, yet, at the same time, let her know I still loved her and that we will chase birds next time. Quietly made my exit in the dark, as I grabbed another plastic bag from my growing collection on the porch so that I would have scent free outer layers to put on after my arrival. Drove 40 minutes, being thankful that the flashing yellow lights were still on, so I could catch up on some lost time that I wasted on the pot earlier. As I drove I counted my blessings, prayed for a shot opportunity and hoped that if I took a shot, there would be a quick, clean kill with minimal suffering. 40 minutes later I arrived at my destination, only a few minutes behind schedule. Stepped out of vehicle to find the grass and leaves were covered with a nice frost and thought to myself, "this looks like a good morning." Walked to the back of the vehicle and opened the tailgate only to discover that my orange vest/hat were... back home...in a plastic bag... somewhere, on the porch. Stood there in the dark for 20 seconds considering my options. Drove home asking myself how I could be so stupid, while also wondering where my best option would be for an evening hunt, and also wondering what the landowner must be thinking if he saw me pull in and then leave a minute later. Got home as the sun was rising and made my wife breakfast and coffee and told her how much I missed here and that I decided to stay home today and do chores instead, so that when we have our Thanksgiving re-enactment for her side of the family tomorrow the house would be nice. Not sure what gave it away, but she immediately called my bluff, knowing something was up, but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Best of luck today to all of my better organized brothers!

25-Nov-17
Life goes on it’s happened to all of us at one time or other , just glad it wasn’t me this time

25-Nov-17
I love the description of your prehunt rituals ... everybody has their own. The worst is when you’re all dressed and ready to go and have to make time for round 2 on the throne. I would have returned to the hunting grounds. One time I was at the base of the tree and realized I forgot my quiver. You want to scream out of frustration but you gotta regroup. Calling off the hunt is not an option!

25-Nov-17
I walked in today set up climber And it was all perfect till I forgot harness all the way out to truck now getting light out .I would never go up without my harness lucky it was only a long walk to truck . Better off with staying home two weeks and hunted like hell not seen a deer in daylight.

25-Nov-17
Got 3/4 the way up my tree opening day of rifle season and realized I wasn't wearing my orange. By the time I went back and got it I didn't need a flashlight to get back to my tree and was sweating my balls off. Thought the morning was ruined, but still ended up seeing five deer.

25-Nov-17
I drove from torrington to shelton at the speed of sound.when i got to my spot i open the back door of my truck only to realize the bow was missing..panic set in.while i was mother f#& king myself i saw my bow on top of my tool box..how it didnt fall off ill never know..i decided it was best to hit the morning tide

25-Nov-17
good call on playing it safe and leaving. i got settled into my back yard stand this morning still half asleep and realized i not only forgot to cock my crossbow, but also forgot my cocking rope. i cursed at the crossbow, climbed down and returned with a compound.

25-Nov-17
Thats rough. Last year I drove 1hr 35min from ct to ma. got all dressed, opened up my bow case... no quiver. Left it on my deck while practicing before I left.

26-Nov-17
Great stories guys - sounds like we've all been there

Earlier this season I drove to my spot - put everything on - backpack- camera - etc and then realized I left my bow home !!!!!

26-Nov-17
LOL, great read! Sometimes, it doesn't matter how well organized we are, there is always something....Murphy's Law.

26-Nov-17
Eating turkey does strange things to a body, not to mention the creamed onions.

Oddity must have been epidemic yesterday. I too was up at four and found myself walking in as the sun was approaching the horizon. I installed a trail cam at the start of the trail to investigate movement, dragged an estrous scent rag and wandered into the lot towards my alternate tree choice. As I dropped my gear to hang my stand I was surprised from behind by a voice asking me if I had written permission to hunt where I was. I turned to see another hunter, maybe thirty yards away, and thought to myself that this was the neighbor/hunter who hunts off his property. I asked if he had a permission slip and he quickly told me he was the landowner, and he was on his property. I should also mention I spotted some of his handiwork while dragging in the scent. That is, someone, dumped a couple of apples and what looked like pumpkin pieces, in an obvious attempt at baiting, well outside of the zone where that is allowed. So, I fetched from my pack a GIS map of the land I was on, and surrounding properties, which I laminated. Upon seeing the map he tells me that is not a permission slip. I pointed out where his house is on the map, where my land owners house is on the same map and it is obvious he is over his line. Oh yeah, I was wearing orange and he wasn't. I was bow hunting and he had a scoped gun leaning against a tree. He then tells me that somebody snatched his blind and seat from another nearby area, which he admitted he doesn't own, and did I see anyone stealing them. No I didn't. He then declares that the two of us hunting so close wouldn't work, so I suggested that I move away from his spot, but he says he already has two deer and not into hunting anymore today, and will walk home. I told him that as a retiree I can hunt any day of the week and he says he can only hunt weekends, so, I agree to only hunt weekdays. We shake hands and agree as he then departs. So now I am aware of someone else, the thief, possibly nearby and targeting the same resident deer.

I've hunted this lot for over fifteen years and it has been the most buck rich spot I have ever seen. The last few years the deer have been less numerous, however, construction farther up the ridge line, and dogs barking where there were none, seems to have altered travel routes. I enjoyed a morning of glorious weather which turned warmer than I expected. As I left, I scouted out another tree to climb on my next visit, probably Monday. I was thankful I was able to show the neighbor that map and somewhat show him I know where the lines are. I guess the day wasn't what he expected either.

26-Nov-17
Well we up north never make mistakes.... Hmmmm ?

Sorry for crashing the party. Your stories are universal. I can envision a cave man looking for his Atlatl or One who brought a walking stick instead of a spear. It must have happened forever.

My surprise this year . Getting to one of my best spots involves crossing a creek and then hiking along a tidal marsh land. It does not involve a Moon tide up to the knees. The morning comes too fast and blurry . Best to do the checklist at night. For me... Check the tides too.

Good hunting to all you southerners , I hope our gifts of lesser deer arrived , we care for our brothers down under. Seriously , be safe and have the time of your lives ! - Pi

26-Nov-17
Good stuff. Isn't that what character is....doing what's right when nobody's looking. I like the ethics. I commend you for sure!

I can't say I've ever forgotten anything thing in all my years except my pull-up rope once or twice at the beginning of a season. I just opted to hunt from the ground those days.

26-Nov-17
Well there was a time once where I forgot to rack a bullet in to chamber.....click as the deer looked up at me.

26-Nov-17
I've forgot my knife numerous times. Strangely, I've never needed it on those days. :(

26-Nov-17
I’ve gone as far as to forget my boots yup been doing this for 30 yrs and at one point or another I’ve lost or forgot something. My boots was the worst hunting in socks not a good idea

26-Nov-17
Yeah I hear you on the boots one day I drove an hr to Skiff mtn. The last day of bow season and 8" of snow on the ground but went in anyways with sneakers. Ended up shooting a spike with 12" points and 145lbs dressed but was a great day and a lesson learned I put my boots on when I leave the house or on the passenger floor . Once I dropped my release and climbed down to get it low and behold on the way up about 5 feet off the ground a seven pointer came running in and smached trees 10 yds away then walked under my stand I could of grabbed his antlers. So now I have a spare release in my pack . Always learning from my mishaps and mistakes while enjoying the freedom of the outdoors.

26-Nov-17
Being perfect is a blessing as I've never left anything at home. Now there was a time when I walked halfway to my stand and realized my bow was sitting on tonneau cover of my truck, so had to decide if I wanted to hunt with my bear hands again, or make it easy and use a bow. Decided to go back and get the bow because I knew you guys would be pissed if I posted a kill that wasn't with a bow.

26-Nov-17
Wow Bob! I never saw a man with bear hands, you're therianthrope right? Again you say? Wow!

26-Nov-17
WB , yeah, I don't like to brag, but I've done it a few times in the past. ;)

26-Nov-17
Damn Bob you are my hero!!!!!

28-Nov-17
Back a few years ago, my buddy and I were hunting in NY. Got to the spot and started our walk up the mountain 2 hrs before light. Long ass walk takes us about an hour of steady walking and resting as not to get sweated up...got up to the ridge we were on, got in treestands, waited till light to load the gun, and realized he forgot to unlock trigger lock on rifle. Key was back at the truck.... Holy Crap was he pissed.....

28-Nov-17
I got up at 3:45 in the morning. Used the throne, took a shower, got dressed, and drove one and a half hours.

It was for work so I don't feel sorry for any of you.

• Sitka Gear