T ZEKE 28-Nov-17
KC 28-Nov-17
T Mac 04-Dec-17
spike78 06-Dec-17
T Mac 06-Dec-17
T Mac 08-Dec-17
Arrownocker82 10-Dec-17
27-Nov-17
Heading up to look at some property in Norwich area just a few miles west of town this weekend. How is the deer hunting in the area? Any info is appreciated.

28-Nov-17
Bought a former dairy farm 37 yrs ago with some friends (about 14 miles west of Norwich ). Pretty much fill my bow tag every year , some years have to work harder at it. Have taken 3 bucks which would have made P&Y, best was a 140 11pter on state land, but this ain't Iowa, nor is it the game farm Suffolk Co is but I am glad that we made the purchase. The 3 1/2 hr ride up from the Island can be a pain if you leave at the wrong times..hope the info helps...Tom

28-Nov-17
Thanks for the info Tom. We are leaving at 4:30 a.m. from eastern LI to beat the traffic. The state land near Guilford where we were got pounded as it was very accessible by roads. We have alot of state land surrounding the piece we are looking at but hoping it's not as busy due to the fact that it is not as accessible from the roads. How about coyote population if we sat over a carcass?

28-Nov-17
Coyotes by us are a definite Negative presence , have them on cameras and hear them howling often enough that they are considered a nuisance to deer and turkey populations (both of which were down in this area this year).. that state land you are referring to is possibly same land we used to hunt 38 yrs ago when Guilford Hunting club owned the parcel next to it...Tom

28-Nov-17
T Mac pm me with where this property is. I am 5 miles west of Norwich just off 23

04-Dec-17
Well we did not see any deer and very little sign where we were. We did find some decent sign deep into state land should we get back up next season we will have a few more options.

06-Dec-17
T Mac any acorns?

06-Dec-17
No, there were no acorns and not much in the way of browse on the immediate property but we looked for some dense cover and bedding which we did find. There are some surrounding farms where I would imagine they are hitting at night.

08-Dec-17
No, we are just beginning to look at properties. Ideally we want to be an hour or more closer to home. A friend from home owns the cabin and has not been to it in 7 years and put it on the market so we were checking it out.

10-Dec-17
Really good pockets of state land in different places, not many hunters. We're a little east of Norwich, and after Thanksgiving weekend some of it doesn't get touched. If you go to www.nysdec.com or just type in nysdec interactive mapper into google will get you there. The maps have all the area state land of all NYS very helpful. ON X maps is a good app for your smart phone it'll have boundaries and everything for about $29 a year. You're right NY isn't the midwest but we do have some decent bucks, and deer population pockets just have to do your homework. There's also properties that have been on the market for a long time so the owner's might be motivated to sell at a considerable lower price depending on your wallet? Some folks were scarfing up land prior to the gas bill being vetoed, hoping to get rich off of gas leases which didn't happen. best of luck

• Sitka Gear